Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2014, 08:01 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
dpinvidic,
OK. I am confused. Why do you feel you need this driver's license? The CA DMV site says that a basic Class C license is good for any housecar 40 foot or less. All the "bullet points" are "or" conditions. The 26,000 lb. restriction typically applies to trucks and buses.

Your sig line says you own a 40 ft Phaeton. Did the DMV tell you that you needed the license because of the weight? I think I would check with someone else on this to be sure they gave you the right information.

Here is the page I am referencing.

Bob
I don't think that we can legally say "Typically applies to trucks and busses".
The manual for my RV says 40ft 6inches. So I think I am screwed either way.
The only possibility is that the rear ladder is part of the Tiffin measurement.
The DMV manual also says that "Safety equip - like bumpers - is not included in the measurement". Now I am on the fence about the "any house car statement".

This is from the page you referenced:
With a Noncommercial Class B License:

• any vehicles under Class C
  • any housecar over 40' but not over 45', with endorsement
With a Basic Class C License:
  • a 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less
  • a 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross
  • a motorized scooter
  • any housecar 40' or less

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
dpinvidic,
OK. I am confused. Why do you feel you need this driver's license? The CA DMV site says that a basic Class C license is good for any housecar 40 foot or less. All the "bullet points" are "or" conditions. The 26,000 lb. restriction typically applies to trucks and buses.

Your sig line says you own a 40 ft Phaeton. Did the DMV tell you that you needed the license because of the weight? I think I would check with someone else on this to be sure they gave you the right information.

Here is the page I am referencing.

Bob
According to the page you referenced he does indeed need the Class B:

According to the Tiffin web page, all their 40' units are listed as 40' 5" long, and built on the Freightliner chassis with a GVWR of 35,320 lbs. A basic Class C license allows one to drive:
  • a 2-axle vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less
  • a 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross
  • a motorized scooter
  • any housecar 40' or less
The RV in question does not fall under ANY of those limitations.

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have all been looking at the handbook. But I found that actual vehicle codes.

V C Section 12804.10 Noncommercial Class B License with House Car Endorsement

12804.10. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person issued a class C license under paragraph (3) of subdivision (b) of Section 12804.9 may drive any house car of 40 feet in length or less without obtaining a noncommercial class B driver's license with house car endorsement as described in subdivision (b).

And this is 12804.9
(3) Class C includes the following:
(A) A two-axle vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 26,000 pounds or less, including when the vehicle is towing a trailer or semitrailer with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds or less.
(B) Notwithstanding subparagraph (A), a two-axle vehicle weighing 4,000 pounds or more unladen when towing a trailer coach not exceeding 9,000 pounds gross.
(C) A house car of 40 feet in length or less.
(D) A three-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 pounds gross or less.
(E) A house car of 40 feet in length or less or vehicle towing another vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less, including when a tow dolly is used. A person driving a vehicle may not tow another vehicle in violation of Section 21715
(b) Any person seeking to drive any house car over 40 feet in length, excluding safety devices and safety bumpers, shall obtain a noncommercial class B driver's license with house car endorsement as described in this subdivision. The applicant for that endorsement shall pass a specialized written examination and demonstrate the ability to exercise ordinary and reasonable control in operating that vehicle by driving it under the supervision of an examining officer. Upon satisfactory completion of the examination and demonstration, the applicant shall be issued a noncommercial class B driver's license with house car endorsement by the department. Upon application for an endorsement to operate this vehicle, and every two years thereafter, the applicant shall submit medical information on a form approved by the department.

Man this is confusing.....
Old 11-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #18

As a CA resident, I never thought I would ever be so happy that my 40ft Beaver is actually 39' 8" (by Beaver's specifications).
Old 11-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #19
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Moved to Florida?

6,000 miles round trip.

At least $3,000 in fuel......

Myron, you saved how much on that license?
Hi Dean. Saved ten percent in income tax every year. The cost of living is about ten percent less. Plenty of water here. The weather is great. I'm done being a tax collector and tax payer in kalif. Native born and raised but had a belly full of the nanny state. I am indeed one of the businessmen that has left the Golden state. Just returned to visit family and friends and show off our Florida plates.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #20

My Story is similar to others, especially in the confusion of the DMV on even how to administer the Non Commercial Class B process for RV's.

First, I have a 40' Class A Country Coach. I asked the DMV if the go by the model, 40', or the actual measurement. One person said they go by actual measurement, but then their supervisor said 'Well they're paying DMV fees based upon a model that states 40', so that would be what was used.'

I did not trust this answer, as clearly know one knew. So I then stopped by my local California Highway Patrol office. The officers were at the front desk area, and when I asked them how they measure the length of an RV, I got three different answers. Bumper to bumper; Furthest forward part to furthest rear part, including mirrors and rear ladder; And finally, front headlight to rear tail lights. With my mirrors and ladder, that was about 1 1/2 foot longer.

So, I decided to go get my Class B Non Commercial License. Made an appointment with the DMV to go get my permit and take my written test. The person helping me, kept correcting me and stating I needed a Class B Commercial, as her computer had no option to get a Class B Non Commercial. I kept insisting that was not correct, and her supervisor came over and said 'Oh that, wait a second, I have some notes.' They spent 20 mins figuring out how to trick the software, then once the permit printed out, she lined thru parts, and rewrote in Non Commercial on it.

Went over to the line to take the written test, and the person helping me insisted I need to take the full Commercial Class A written test. I knew that was wrong, so the same supervisor came over. About 5 mins of discussion later, we agreed that I would take the Commercial Class A test. If I passed I'd go on my way, if I failed the Supervisor agreed to call Sacramento for more info on if I was correct. (I'm always polite at times like this, and she said you seem to know more about this then we do, so I'll do my best to work with you.) I passed the test missing one question about chains. As I was leaving, the Supervisor said she would put in a request for more overall clarification to be sent out to the field offices, as she agreed it was not clear what was required, and that they at the DMV should know.

Week later, had driving test. Same kind of indifference and confusion when I showed up. The gent assigned to me, did a walk around, and checked lights and horn only. Then he said I had to show him how to test the Air Brakes. Not correct, just supposed to need to explain how to do it. They're suppose to check it as part of their 'safety review'. So I did the leak down test to get us going. Same kind of skills tests mentioned by others. But, when we got into the simulation of backing into a loading dock, the instructor told me to turn off my rear view camera. I asked why, and he said that trucks usually don't have them. I explained that my mirrors arms were adjusted to work along with my camera, and I did not have good angle to judge right behind me. He did not care... I backed in and stopped, came out to see how I did, and he said not bad only 2 points off. I asked why, and he said you are two feet away from the cones. I pointed to my tow bar hitch, and said that was what I stopped for, and it was within 10" of the cones. Well, we go by bumpers - was the answer. Did not care that I pointed out he would have failed me for knocking over a cone, which I would have...

Out for the driving portion, only one fun part here. I stopped at a left turn lane to access the highway onramp. He asked if I could get around the person in front of me if I had too. I looked, and said yes but it would be tight. He disagreed, said I needed to leave more space, and marked me off another point. About 5 mins later, another stop light with a turn. I left more space in front of me. While waiting for the light to turn, another person cut into the space I had left. I did not say a thing, and he did not say a thing or mark me down a point - but I could tell he was pissed. As I had told him at the first light, that I had found if I left too much space, someone usually tries to cut in and sometimes leaves their tail end hanging out blocking a lane. That many drivers want to get around that big slow RV.

My final but of fun with California and the DMV. We are now Domiciled in South Dakota, and have South Dakota drivers licenses. I keep getting letters with comments about fines and penalties from the California DMV. They want to see my fresh eye exam tests!! I made an appointment and went into the a DMV office to try and get it straightened out and off of their mailing listings. NO LUCK, still getting the letters. So called Sacramento, long, long wait to find anyone that could even pretend to want to help. Final person, after about 45 mins of me waiting, said 'Just ignore the letters'. I asked if she would send me something in writing stating to do that, and she said that was not allowed...

Fun, fun!!! I hope it is better defined now, and not so subjective for those of you taking the test. I keep going back to what the one Supervisor at the DMV said when I asked. The comment about DMV fees based upon a model reflecting 40', was probably something I would run with if I had to do it again. If the CHP gave me a ticket, I think I would go to court and show my paper work indicating I have a 40' model and explain to the Judge the three different methods the CHP officers said they would use to measure my coach. I suspect a reasonable Judge, would at the very least agree but then tell me to go get a Class B Non Commercial. Perhaps not even that, as the DMV Fees based upon the 40' model does seem pretty basic to understand.

Best to all, have fun, be safe,
Smitty
Old 11-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have changed my mind thanks to Bob.
The rules actually list what vehicles you CAN drive. First line says I CAN drive a vehicle under 26000lbs. But then there are other items on the list.
One of those is "Any Housecar 40ft or under". And the model is a 40ft.

What Smitty posted is the same confusion I found when I took the written test.

They had to ask which test to give, and the tech spent about 15 minutes trying to get the computer to accept everything.
Since I paid the fee, I am still going to take the Class B driving test, since I can legally drive myself down there. If they trun me away, no big loss, and when I pass, I am ready to upgrage to a bigger rig....SOMEDAY

Dan
Old 11-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
As a heads up on insurance. Some insurance companies will not insurance a rig that is over 40', so if they ask if it is over 40', you know why.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Since I paid the fee, I am still going to take the Class B driving test, since I can legally drive myself down there. If they trun me away, no big loss, and when I pass, I am ready to upgrage to a bigger rig....SOMEDAY

Dan
And this gives you a good reason to have a physical every two years.
Have a great test!
Old 11-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Hi Dean. Saved ten percent in income tax every year. The cost of living is about ten percent less. Plenty of water here. The weather is great. I'm done being a tax collector and tax payer in kalif. Native born and raised but had a belly full of the nanny state. I am indeed one of the businessmen that has left the Golden state. Just returned to visit family and friends and show off our Florida plates.
Sounds like a smart move!!

I guess one could always move back if not happy with Florida.

California's loss.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Many of us have read about this topic before and I think most agree that it's great to not be living in California!
Old 11-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #26

I wonder if once you get your class B non commercial if you are subject to the same rules as other commercial licenses. In California, commercial license holders are not allowed to attend traffic school for minor infractions and the limit for blood alcohol goes from .08 to .04, not inferring that I have tickets or drive impaired.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
I wonder if once you get your class B non commercial if you are subject to the same rules as other commercial licenses. In California, commercial license holders are not allowed to attend traffic school for minor infractions and the limit for blood alcohol goes from .08 to .04, not inferring that I have tickets or drive impaired.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Now that will open up an entirely new Avenue of confusion...
Old 11-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #28
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Sounds like a smart move!!

I guess one could always move back if not happy with Florida.

California's loss.

Living on a quiet lake, boat dock with a nice bass boat tied up. Twenty five miles from Disney which we love. Squirrels in the trees, Dove landing in the yard, a few sneaky snakes that raise the fun, alligators cruising around, turtles as big around as a barrel, planes landing on the lake daily, missile launches visible on clear days, fireworks seen from Lego Land, fuel prices much lower than Kalif.

Not likely moving back to the land of fruits and nuts any time soon.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
test, california