Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Get some Happy Camper. Put a good dose down the toilet then add water. Drive around, dump and flush. Best stuff I've ever used in 30 yrs of RV ownership.
I agree. Years ago when I purchased our Dutchstar the tank sensors would not work.
After trying various methods, one was to try and flush with hot water, I was put onto Happy Campers Extreme by a friend. After using HC as directed, the sensors worked great. Continued use of HC Regular over the next nine years kept them functioning perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/EXTREME-CLEAN...reatment&psc=1
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Get some Happy Camper. Put a good dose down the toilet then add water. Drive around, dump and flush. Best stuff I've ever used in 30 yrs of RV ownership.
Agree. And more so, use Happy Camper Extreme designed for such problem solving. I use regular happy camper after every dump, and Happy Camper Exteme a couple times a year as preventive maintenance. My sensors work consistently reliably.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I gave up on our tank level monitors and just leave both valve's open when we have FHU's, which is most of the time. No issues in last 6 years of full timing.
In my opinion, leaving your black tank drain open all the time is just asking for problems.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
In my opinion, leaving your black tank drain open all the time is just asking for problems.

So after 6 years how much longer do I have to wait? I'm looking for a project.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:18 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

X2! Never leave your drain open.
RROLDSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
So after 6 years how much longer do I have to wait? I'm looking for a project.
the solids will create a pyramid inside your tank and eventually harden to a point that it will not easily be washed out. As you flush the toilet, the water will run out directly down the drain.

As far as 'how much longer', it depends on how often you use the toilet, how deep your tank is, and how lucky you're feeling.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Jock View Post
I'm getting pretty frustrated with my black tank sensors reading full when it is not. I tried chemical and organic cleaning with limited success and the hose-whirrly with none. I see that they make adjustable angle heads for power washer wands. I was thinking of using this device to provide a 90 degree spray from the vertical, spray in soap with the soap nozzle, let it sit and then power wash the tank walls with the most gentle nozzle to get the crap off the tank sidewalls.

Has anyone tried this? My power washer is a 2500 psi gas model. Do you think the tank could take the most diffuse nozzle?

Thanks in advance.

Jack
I wouldn't use a high pressure wash. Have you tried pouring a bag of cubed ice down the toilet into the black tank, with a bit of water and driving around? Many find it works great.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
I wouldn't use a high pressure wash. Have you tried pouring a bag of cubed ice down the toilet into the black tank, with a bit of water and driving around? Many find it works great.
The Ice Cubes are a bit of an Urban Myth.

https://youtu.be/iH6acEmqvcw
Old 10-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
The Ice Cubes are a bit of an Urban Myth.

https://youtu.be/iH6acEmqvcw
It is a very easy $2 fix that works in some cases, just like the built in tank flush works for others. It is certainly worth a try. Lots of ice!
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #24

Quote:
the solids will create a pyramid inside your tank and eventually harden to a point that it will not easily be washed out. As you flush the toilet, the water will run out directly down the drain.

As far as 'how much longer', it depends on how often you use the toilet, how deep your tank is, and how lucky you're feeling.

We use the toilet every day for the last 6 years and that's 2 of us. We are full timers! Don't say something can't be done unless you actually tried it.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:51 PM   #25

In 42 years I've never needed, wanted, or wanted any kind of tank sensors. With the tiniest of experience you can tell when your tanks are full/near full and should need emptying. As mentioned, if your pooper is not burping when you flush, you're good to GO!!! when the pooper burps think about emptying it...a cursory look down the chute with a flashlight will help train you.

If your sinks or shower drain slow or not at all...drain the greys...no harm done here.

Forget the sensors....a pain in the arse!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
In 42 years I've never needed, wanted, or wanted any kind of tank sensors. With the tiniest of experience you can tell when your tanks are full/near full and should need emptying. As mentioned, if your pooper is not burping when you flush, you're good to GO!!! when the pooper burps think about emptying it...a cursory look down the chute with a flashlight will help train you.

If your sinks or shower drain slow or not at all...drain the greys...no harm done here.

Forget the sensors....a pain in the arse!!!

This is exactly the way we feel. I stay on top everything and always have a good idea of what we have and what we have full. We have gone as many as 4 nights and never dumped or filled anything while traveling down the road. Who knows....maybe our sensors do work. I have never even bothered to look at them.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
If you want to clean your tank, put some Dawn dish soap into a half full black tank and go for a ride. It will be clean as a whistle after you dump.
RROLDSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROLDSX View Post
If you want to clean your tank, put some Dawn dish soap into a half full black tank and go for a ride. It will be clean as a whistle after you dump.
.....plus 1 cup of bleach and two cups of Calgon Water Softener diluted in some hot water....called the Bio Method...works great!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, power, tank