Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Has anyone used the Parking brake on their MH in an Emergency

Just a random thought I had, has anyone had to use the parking brake to help them slow down, during brake failure or brake fade, I would think this would exclude the DP.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #2

In years past, I would use the parking brake to bring trucks in the shop.

I learned to hold the release, while stepping on the pedal, as a way to control the application.

The trucks with drive shaft mounted parking brakes can be very touchy.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:19 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I have done some practice on my Jeep CJ7 before, not on the highway but out in the desert, using the same procedure you described, holding the handle and manipulating the pedal.

It was challenging but could be done, rear drums are not the best by themselves though

Was just curious about a big RV with the brake on the drive shaft.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ours has anti lock brakes, the Manager demonstrated during test drive, he hit the shreddie and Disco came to a abrupt, but controlled stop. He did this from 50mph
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #5

Have not had to in my coach but have had to do it in an OTR truck. If you plan to use it because the brakes got too hot and are fading forget it. It won't work because it's the same rear brakes that are already overheated and fading. If your talking about an air pressure loss, the rear brakes will be applied when you lose enough air pressure (below 65 psi). Just beware if you apply the parking brake while moving and the brakes are correctly adjusted (should be with auto adjusters) it will lock the rear tires up in most cases.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSteele View Post
Have not had to in my coach but have had to do it in an OTR truck. If you plan to use it because the brakes got too hot and are fading forget it. It won't work because it's the same rear brakes that are already overheated and fading. If your talking about an air pressure loss, the rear brakes will be applied when you lose enough air pressure (below 65 psi). Just beware if you apply the parking brake while moving and the brakes are correctly adjusted (should be with auto adjusters) it will lock the rear tires up in most cases.

Chassis like the P30 you are right, the parking brake engages the same brakes as the chassis brakes, at least the P30 chassis with rear drum.

Not sure about the Ford Chassis, but the Workhorse W22 has the parking brake drum mounted on the rear of the trans, in other words it brakes the drive shaft and does not engage the brakes on the rear wheels
Old 05-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #7

Just noticed the OP has a workhorse chassis. Different animal. I didn't think about the antilock brakes that too would change the equation some too. I believe only the front on my Vectra is antilock, could be wrong though. Never have tried it to see if it works. I'm going to have to do some research to see how it works on a coach with air brakes. Interesting, that's why I like this forum always leads me to some more stuff to find out about.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
Ours has anti lock brakes, the Manager demonstrated during test drive, he hit the shreddie and Disco came to a abrupt, but controlled stop. He did this from 50mph
Really? Wow that's impressive
Old 05-12-2016, 09:07 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSteele View Post
Just noticed the OP has a workhorse chassis. Different animal. I didn't think about the antilock brakes that too would change the equation some too. I believe only the front on my Vectra is antilock, could be wrong though. Never have tried it to see if it works. I'm going to have to do some research to see how it works on a coach with air brakes. Interesting, that's why I like this forum always leads me to some more stuff to find out about.
I must of been posting when you re posted

Old 05-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I used the parking break when I owned my 91 Holiday Rambler. Last spring I started it for the first time and pulled out into the street to discover I had no brakes. Well crap on a cracker . . . . my mechanic's garage was about 2 miles away so I drove it to his shop and used the parking brake as my brakes to get it there. All went well but not sure I'd want to try that again.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Chassis like the P30 you are right, the parking brake engages the same brakes as the chassis brakes, at least the P30 chassis with rear drum.

Not sure about the Ford Chassis, but the Workhorse W22 has the parking brake drum mounted on the rear of the trans, in other words it brakes the drive shaft and does not engage the brakes on the rear wheels

Every p-30 I have seen has a separate e brake on the back of the tranny
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:44 AM   #12

Correct. This drum is stamped steel, not cast iron like a traditional drum brake. It is a parking brake, not emergency brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:44 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
The only problem using the e brake on the back of the trans is the brake pads have less lining on them and they will glaze up and wear out pretty quickly.
dtucker3usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:48 AM   #14

Correct. And, at least on the later models with Auto-Park, this drum is stamped steel, not cast iron like a traditional drum brake. It is a parking brake, not emergency brake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake