Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Have you been towed?
Gas Yes 24 42.11%
Diesel Yes 33 57.89%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2016, 06:03 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Towed

I've had 2- diesels never been towed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 06:15 PM   #16

Not sure what this poll means . More gasser than diesels answered the poll? No "no " option?.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #17

My answer was (is) yes. High pressure fuel line on my Cummins ISC cracked and leaked. Had it towed to a near by shop to get it fixed. They used a 50 ton truck at $225/ hour. Cost me $675.

Later I asked State Farm to cover it, and they did. Great. But...............since I broke our awning and asked for that to be covered the year before, they have now refused to renew our coverage. Bummer.

Tom
TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:56 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Never been towed
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:56 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Never been towed
My 5 month old Ford Rebuilt Transmission blew last week. Nearest Ford dealer that could handle the repair was over 40 miles away and couldn't handle it for 3 business days. Called Good Sam Road Side Assist and had it towed over 40 miles yesterday at NO COST to me. Meanwhile we stayed at a local RV Park and had a touristy weekend plus a day or two.
Thumbs up to Good Sam Roadside Assist.
a.j.
ajpaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:35 PM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Towed 40 miles to Cummins dealer. I have GS and asked the tow truck driver what it would have cost if I had to pay. He replie "About $750."

Thanks GS.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #21

AAA covered tow from my sister's place to the local truck repair shop about 5 miles away.

Had to remove drive shaft and towed from the front. Guy was top shelf professional and had the correct rig to tow my 26,000 lb rig.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:04 AM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
NO, thank God!

I would insis't on a lowboy trailer !!
Old 06-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #23

First trip in a brand-new unit, only 2k miles. Wheel bearing failed. F-53 chassis.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #24

Towed last week just outside of Fort Collins, CO. Called Good Sam and about 90 mins later a huge tow truck showed up. The driver was awesome, and so was the service we received from GS after some back and forth discussion on where they were going to tow us. It was around 9 pm and The GS dispatcher said we'd be towed to a rest area because it would be safe and off the side of the highway where we were currently sitting. I didn't want to spend the night in a rest area in a broken down motorhome with my wife and 3 kids, and politely asked if we could be towed to a KOA that was10 miles away in Fort Collins, and would be much more convenient and safe. The dispatcher said she'd call me back. Within a few mins she called back with the towing company information. When I questioned where they were going to tow me she said they'd tow me to the KOA. It was sooooo much nicer and convenient (safer too in my opinion) being at the KOA the next day while the mobile mechanic Spent most of the day repairing my rig. I called several mobile mechanics the next morning and all of them were booked for the next several weeks. When I called GS they were able to find someone and they were at the KOA an hour later fixing my rig.

Definitely a double thumbs up towards the GS service I received!

1998 Fleetwood: Pace Arrow Vision 36B (Chevy 454)
Old 06-18-2016, 02:02 PM   #25

Been towed couple of times. Once from the checkin area of an rv park to my spot. Very hot 100+ and no start = dead battery. Next morning started no problem. Second time was 12 miles into Ardmore, OK. Blew a coolant line. Even though there are numerous heavy tow trucks in Ardmore none would toe an rv. Too much liability if the screw up your fiberglass front. Had to get a truck from 80 miles away. Six hour wait. Fixed next day but make sure if they have to remove your drive shaft that they get it reinstalled with the alignment marks exactly the same as it was removed. I had an intermittant vib for the next 1200 miles until I got my service shop to R&R it correctly. Good Sam tow coverage took care of the tows with zero cost to me.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:56 PM   #26
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesPearson View Post
Been towed couple of times. Once from the checkin area of an rv park to my spot. Very hot 100+ and no start = dead battery. Next morning started no problem. Second time was 12 miles into Ardmore, OK. Blew a coolant line. Even though there are numerous heavy tow trucks in Ardmore none would toe an rv. Too much liability if the screw up your fiberglass front. Had to get a truck from 80 miles away. Six hour wait. Fixed next day but make sure if they have to remove your drive shaft that they get it reinstalled with the alignment marks exactly the same as it was removed. I had an intermittant vib for the next 1200 miles until I got my service shop to R&R it correctly. Good Sam tow coverage took care of the tows with zero cost to me.
Did they also cover the work to get the drive shaft aligned properly?
Old 06-18-2016, 08:05 PM   #27

Angry

Answered yes to DP tow.
Backed into site and sunk up the axle. too soft to use the jacks ot get out.
Does being towed 15 feet count?
Old 06-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My last (a class B) got towed by AAA. Driver did not put a strap on the wheels (he insisted he didn't need to on this set up) and at the first turn the tow truck went left and my B went right and into the ditch and crumpled the front passenger side.

Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow