Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2015, 04:01 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Did all 4 myself. Really straight forward with minimal tools. Did the same thing HickRA did. Tough top awnings are awesome. The YouTube video is correct from beginning to end.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Yet another "you can do it!"

I replaced both of ours single-handedly. Slower than with 2 people, but not overly difficulty.

Had to go back and adjust the tension on the larger slide (wasn't snug all the way in), and that is MUCH easier with 2 people.

Purchased the toppers from ToughTop and they are a perfect fit. Their youtube.com video also was spot-on.

You can do it...just be patient and don't get in a hurry. A windy day would also probably be a real downer as an after-thought.

John
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:12 AM   #17

The spring tension on a topper is nothing like what you might run into on a full size awning (which isn't THAT bad). Topper springs totally wimpy in comparison, and better yet, you'll often find a spring in just one end. I would suggest the job could be done by yourself, but agree a second set of hands would be handy, even for just a few minutes, long enough to feed the fabric into the slots. Great project for a DIY'er.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
You're most likely right and should have said for my Dometic, so best to look it up and get it right. I see a lot of them sagging a lot and especially with a little rain, so don't know what's going on with them.
If the ends of the topper fabric are snug, that "belly" that occurs in the center is not due to roller tube spring tension. It's something that happens when using a longer awning tube. The weight of the wet fabric causes the tube to bow, and it just gets worse from there. If that were a full size awning you would use a "rafter" to pull that belly out of the fabric. This being a topper, a rafter is just not practical.

All you can really do to avoid that belly in the topper fabric is assure you have the topper mounted as low as possible on the slide out - for best possible water run off - the same way you would lower the full size awning if it's going to be out in the rain.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #19

Changed it myself from the ground and on top the roof without a ladder. Its almost the same as raising a sail but you have two sail tracks, its horizontal and there's much less material IDK why more folks don't do it on their own! Winding the spring was easy too.

Mike
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Have you changed your slide toppers yourself?

Spring tension is easy to adjust.

If it is a bit loose, with the slide out, lock cover roll in place on both ends with cotter pins or allen wrenches. (Through the holes in the tube and the shaft)
Take both end mounts loose, put the slide in enough to add a roll to the cover and stop.
Remount the ends to the slide and take the pins out.
Open slide fully - tighter cover.
If you have an anti-sail device, be sure to check that it is in the correct position when the slide is closed!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #21

Did my big slide last week. Got the topper from Tough Top, per the RV Geeks video, and installed it in about four hours. Did all myself except the installation, but only had one six foot and one eight for ladder and not two eight footers. Even though my bedroom slide has one year old material, the new Tough Top is so nice I may replace that one as well since the one on there now is a factory replacement and much lower quality.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:30 PM   #22

I changed the longest one on our coach in a couple of hours. It was about 154 " long I believe. Only needed help to lift one end at the install moment. That part took only a few minutes.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:56 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also there is a step by step article in the February 2015 Motorhome magazine on replacing slideout toppers, hope this helps you as well.
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #24

These are all very helpful and encouraging comments. Thank you.
John Stott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:04 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to vandog
My toppers are in great shape, but I was in a park when a thunderstorm blew through and the strong winds raised it up and when it came down it wasn't even and now it rolls up unevenly and the water doesn't run off when open. Do I have to rewind and unroll the whole topper to straighten it out and make it smooth again.
vandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandog View Post
My toppers are in great shape, but I was in a park when a thunderstorm blew through and the strong winds raised it up and when it came down it wasn't even and now it rolls up unevenly and the water doesn't run off when open. Do I have to rewind and unroll the whole topper to straighten it out and make it smooth again.

Mine caught some big wind going down the road two weeks ago. I saw it flopping along side the coach as I was running along at 65 MPH.

I pulled off at next exit. Put my safety triangles out on the off ramp.

Got up on top of coach & got it as straight as I could. Ran the slide all the way out. Then I pulled the cover all the way out and let it go back in. Then I ran slide back in and out a couple times.

I've driven over 1000 mile since then with no more issues. Awning is straight on the roller. Not really sure how or why the wind actually got under it in the first place.

I see the key to getting it straight is making sure you pull all of it completely off the reel.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to vandog
Thanks Russell.....I will try it!
vandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #28

Once you run the slide all the way out there is quite a bit still wrapped on the roller. I just pulled mine from the middle. I didn't have any help. If there are two of you probably work better from each end.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide