Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I've been told that changing a MH tire is next to impossible for the average bear due to the torque on lug nuts from air guns, and due to horsing a heavy load onto the lugs.
What is your secret to doing this in (almost) NASCAR time?
in this instance they were 16 in tires electric impact and jacks

Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
in this instance they were 16 in tires electric impact and jacks

lol, you sly dog, you I had this vision of a Arnold Swartznagger flinging 22.5s around like they were nothing....and immediately signed up to be on your team at the arm-wrestling tournament at the next iRV2 rally

Old 02-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
lol, you sly dog, you I had this vision of a Arnold Swartznagger flinging 22.5s around like they were nothing....and immediately signed up to be on your team at the arm-wrestling tournament at the next iRV2 rally
Lol, honestly Milwaukee makes a cordless impact that will easily re and re the wheel nuts and my 20 ton jack takes a minute or less to lift front wheel off the ground, realisticly if I had a 22.5 on a rim which I intend to for long trips, 30 minutes to re and re, the Milwaukee cordless impact imparts about 450lbs torque sufficient to get where I am headed and I have 4 foot 1000bs torque wrench in coach.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:51 PM   #18

If you have a blowout on a steer tire and immediately slam on the brakes, you will likely lose control and go off the road. That is never a good thing.

On the other hand, if you floor the accelerator for a moment, regain control, ease off the gas and gently get into the brakes, all you'll have to is change a tire.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
I had a right front tire explode on my previous coach, a 40 foot Beaver. It caused $10,000 worth of damage to my coach. I did as the experts say, stepped on the gas briefly, then slowed gradually and pulled off the road. I had no trouble controlling the coach, but there was a severe pull toward the flat tire, which I had to counteract with a lot of force on the steering wheel. Someone older or smaller might not have been able to handle that.

I was lucky in several respects:
1. It was a good road and
2. There was nobody between me and the shoulder.

Coach-Net arrived in about an hour with a new tire, and within two hours I was driving away, albeit with a damaged coach.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
20 minutes may be a little bit of a stretch but all you need is a big pipe and lug wrench. Break them loose, pick it up, swap wheels snug the nuts, drop it down and grab the pipe again. It`s a tire like a car, just bigger.

Been there done that.
I traded for a torque multiplier. Only have to put 152 ft #'s of torque to get 500 ft #'s at the lug.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #21

Rich-n-Linda
Is this advice from experence.

This post is a question of actual front tire blowout.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Over the years I have had several front blow outs on loaded trucks. Only once did it want to pull me off the road. I was going around a corner and starting down a 6% hill. The road was banked and the left front blew. I kept it under control but was pure luck there was nothing coming toward me. It was a brand new Bridgestone that was put on 2 days prior.
I have had several other front blow outs and it is always scary but they were no trouble to control.

Changing a big tire on the side of the road is not that hard if you have a few tools. You use a tire iron or piece of pipe to lift it onto the studs. A big tire wrench with a pipe on the end of it will break loose the nuts fairly easily. After that it is just like changing a car tire just bigger. Let the tools do the lifting.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:38 PM   #23

No blow-outs, but some years ago I lost the entire right front wheel assembly off an International truck at 70mph. Happened at night and it was an amazing spark show. No problem maintaining control.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:23 AM   #24
WDW

So here's a thought that I'd like to try out on this topic: i'd like to think that my initial reaction would be to take my foot off the gas and second to drop start dropping gears in order to slow the vehicle rather than using the brakes.

Anyone have any thoughts why this wouldn't be a good reaction to that type of an event?
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:58 AM   #25

Of course it is. Your driving down the road and hear a big boom, and your steering starts shaking. Unless you are a race car driver and tuned in to a blowout happening, your first reaction is to take your foot off the pedal and at least tap the brake to knock off the cruise control, while running thru your mind, what just happened.

Flooring the pedal on a 7+ ton motorhome, with a 300 hp engine, hooked to an automatic transmission, is not going to pull you out of a skid.

Thats how I reacted, back in my younger days, when I ran "may pop" tires on my old junker cars. Never had a blowout on my RVs.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #26
doc

Appalachian Campers
Not front, but right inside rear on a 2000 Itasca Horizon. Seven year old tires. Had jut crossed the interstate to pull into a Flying J in Columbia SC. Road service had one - for $450 and had me by the shorts!

Did see the results of a Prevost on I-75 north of Macon, Ga. Left front and when it stopped against whatever it hit (another vehicle maybe??) it took out about 5 feet of the front corner in both directions. Sat at the tow yard for several months and I am guessing the insurance company had to figure out what to do with it
Old 02-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
So here's a thought that I'd like to try out on this topic: i'd like to think that my initial reaction would be to take my foot off the gas and second to drop start dropping gears in order to slow the vehicle rather than using the brakes.

Anyone have any thoughts why this wouldn't be a good reaction to that type of an event?
This video explains it all:
Old 02-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #28