Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Have you Hired Someone to monitor your house while you are traveling?

We have a 3,000+ square foot house on an acre of suburban land.

We can have a lawn service maintain the external appearance, but think we need some form of periodic inside inspection of the house. Probably weekly to care for plants and assure that systems are operating properly.

Friends could do the job, but for extended and repeated periods would not want to be restricted by the commitment to watch our house.

Closest family is 2 hours away and that group is extremely busy.

So, has anyone found a more creative way to obtain house monitoring while on an extended travel period of a couple of months or more?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #2

Video System define your Smart phone?
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #3

Driving your iPhone. Sorry for typo.
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #4

Yeah, two neighbors with keys, lotsa lites, hired ADT, two game cams hi in trees.
So far...no problems.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #5

We leave cats at home so one of two neighbors feeds them and the chickens daily. In return, my wife takes care of their mini farms while they are away.

Some friends are gone for 3 or months at a time. They rent their house furnished to temp employees at our local, semi-rural hospital. No pets are involved.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
House Sitters that have been vetted.....Must be an organization out there that provides house sitters.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:49 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do nothing, my most valuable possession is with me at all times, namely my DW, someone wants the "junk" in the house they can have it, it is all replaceable. I see no reason to waste money protecting something that is incapable of providing love and being wonderful.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have heard of house sitting services. I imagine if you checked the internet for security services in your area you could find a professional service.

In our area there are a couple retired guys who do it for pin money. Check with the local old timers club.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:10 PM   #9

I live in a town that has lots of part time residents and people doing security checks for them are quite common . It is one of the things that our company offers . You can customize how you want your checks done ( atleast in this neck of the woods ) as some people want a weekly check while others want a bi-weekly or a once a month check . It offers the owners piece of mind and , up here anyways , most of the insurance companies require it.
jim81147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Depends on what you keep running in your house. If you leave electricity on and have internet service that is on you can get wifi security cams. They run somewhere less than two hundred depending on the brand you get. All of the brands seem to have the ability to connect to your router very easily. They all have apps that download to a smart phone. Most of them have motion sensors that detect motion in the room. When they detect motion they send a message to the smart phone and start sending video. Some of the cameras have two way communication you can hear people talking and you can talk to them. If you do this make sure you get a camera with infrared diodes that can see in the dark.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:37 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Have you Hired Someone to monitor your house while you are traveling?

I have Logitech security cams monitor through my iPhone iPad and android phone. Backed up on hard drive on computer, three weeks or so recording. Caught a burglar breaking into neighbors car last year, sent video to police detectives, they caught him. Has night IR lense. Cheap system, monitor real time, motion activated.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Check out AT&T wireless, they have a house automation setup where you can have cameras, and watch in real time on your smart phone. Also you will have remote lock / unlock for the door, that sends text messages with who entered. Also can monitor and change temp on the thermostat. Also has water sensors placed in the house incase something leaks and can shut off the water line to the house. It does security monitoring for break-ins too. Mine will be installed next month, we have to leave the heat on as it gets cold in Denver in the winter. Works for us....

Good luck
Dave
Old 09-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim81147 View Post
I live in a town that has lots of part time residents and people doing security checks for them are quite common . It is one of the things that our company offers . You can customize how you want your checks done ( atleast in this neck of the woods ) as some people want a weekly check while others want a bi-weekly or a once a month check . It offers the owners piece of mind and , up here anyways , most of the insurance companies require it.
Down here, insurance is cancelled if a company learns that a home is vacant; meaning nobody living there full-time. It's strange, because if I place a, "For Rent", sign in a yard of a rental home, it's not un-common to get a Cancel Notice within a few weeks.

Be cautious of telling your insurance company that you aren't in the house for months at a time...
Old 09-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Down here, insurance is cancelled if a company learns that a home is vacant; meaning nobody living there full-time. It's strange, because if I place a, "For Rent", sign in a yard of a rental home, it's not un-common to get a Cancel Notice within a few weeks.

Be cautious of telling your insurance company that you aren't in the house for months at a time...

Ran into the same problem.. In fl house must be occupied at least once every 30 days.. We have a neighbor friend keeps the insurance jerks at bay.. Its ridicules buts its the way it is. Home insurance Company's employ ppl to just go around and check. They look for anyway to collect more money

Robert & Jana Stanton... Birthing a 2015 Anthem or Cornerstone

Tags
travel