Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #1

Having issues.... Diesel engine sputtering and coughing

We are on route and having engine problems ... again. A few weeks ago my husband filled up with what we suspect was bad diesel fuel. Same circumstances.... No power, engine coughing and sputtering. Got it to a freightliner service center and they changed the filters put in some additive and test drove it with no problems. We picked it and drove it 35 miles home with no issues. We started out this evening for our trip and got two hours into the drive and we are experiencing the same issues. We literally were crawling at 5 mph until we hit the next exit on 95. We are going to let the engine cool down and then try it again in an hour or so. We are down to a 1/2 tank ... Hopefully some new fuel and more additives will help. Any other suggestions or insight would be appreciated.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear of your trouble !

Details of the Motorhome model, engine, etc. may help folks to help you better.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #3

Both Cat and Cummins engines return fuel to the tank that is not used at the engine , by the time you burn 1/2 tank of fuel , all the fuel in the tank has been through the filters 3 or 4 times , bad fuel can plug filters FAST.
Have the filters changed again, and have the old filters cut open to check for algae; turns the filter material black; you could be stuck changing filters 4or 5 times or having the tank drained and the fuel scrubbed to finally cure your problem.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:42 PM   #4

Thanks.... We have a Gulfstream FRED with a 300 Cummings engine. DH wants to know if fuel filters can be changed easily .. like on a parking lot? He also said he drained the filter and the fuel seems to be clean.... He knows that it doesn't mean much ... Just an observation.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:57 PM   #5

I haven't had the opportunity to work on your style of coach, so I couldn't say , how difficult a job, or even if you have 1 or 2 filters. Sorry.

Another possibility would be a problem with the electric lift pump that supplies the fuel to the high pressure injector pump. The lift pump can cause similar problems.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:02 PM   #6

I have the 300 cummins in my MH. Yes it is easy to change,the filter is on the passenger side, mine is accessed through the last door on that side. Always care a couple of extra ones they are pretty cheap insurance. Just opening the water drain won't tell you much. Always try to fill the new filter with fuel before installing it. If you don't it may stumble and die a couple to times before it gets all of the air out. I have even filled them with marvel mystery oil, it helps clean the injectors.
AE Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:48 AM   #7

We definitely have two filters. We stopped for a couple of hours at a rest stop to let the engine cool but it didn't help. We were able to creep 6 miles to a Walmart and are going to get a couple of hours of sleep and then figure out our next step in the morning. The question is where can we purchase filters in Dover DE? Crossing our fingers that the filters are the problem. The good news is that we made it here safely without getting stranded on the interstate. And ...have a nice clean bed to rest in! Thanks for the help.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:02 AM   #8

NAPA
Old 06-27-2014, 07:37 AM   #9

Brian and Kim

HANG IN THEIR, we will help you get that rig back on the road! No better buch of people than here!

Should have two filters, the water seperator and the fuel filter that's next to the injector pump. Water seperator usally mounted to where you can get to it with "some" ease.

Might want to go into walmart and purchase a SMALL 1 or 2 gallon gas tank, mark it diesel & fill her up.

Best to prefill the filters with CLEAN diesel. Try to get as little air into the fuel system as possible. Before installing the fuel filter prefill with the clean diesel, fill using the outer holes, when filtering fluid moves form outside inward. Check for any gaskets/seals that might have stuck to the engine side when removing the fuel filter.
"SOME" fuel systems will have a primer pump located close to the filter, it can be a button or lever. It's used to manully pump the fuel thru the filter, used if filter replaced, pumps fuel thru the filter ridding it of air. My Cummins 8.2l 350HP diesel had a small rubber covered button just beloe the injector pump.
Some rigs DONT have this pump. My CAT C7 does not. Their is a plug that's removed on top of the filter housing. I must remove this plug, get a fullel and pour CLEAN diesel in to rid of air.

Above "might" not be 100% correct but it's to give you guys an idea/importance getting the air out of the system. DONT overheat your starter cranking your engine over. Crakn no longer than 30 seconds & then let her cool.

Keep us updated.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:37 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
locating filters

Try using the Cummins Service locator.. goggle and should come up. You can also call 800 diesels which is Cummins and they can find nearest dealer.

I prefer Cummins Fleetguard filters...

If you do change filters only prefill through the outet holes of filter. Don not put fuel into center hole which is the filtered side.

Good luck hope you get back on the road soon.
rezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #11
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I don't agree with pre-filling the fuel filters on a cummins engine as their is a chance of introducing small amounts of crud into the fuel if not done right, and it's messy and my manual says not to. I install them dry, turn the key on/off about 20-30 seconds each time but don't start. I then start the engine the last time and it will idle smooth after several seconds. I then put it on high idle for about a minute and go. Works every time for me.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #12

We would like to thank everyone for the assistance and guidance. After giving the MH a rest for 4 hours wee were able to make it To our destination however very slowly. On our way we stopped at a CAT service center and picked up two filters. Received the same instructions as given here about prefilling with clean gas prior to install. Will give you an update on Sunday when we return.

We only purchased this unit last October... Previously had gassers so this is all new to us.

Thanks again....Kim
Old 06-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #13

Had the 96 2500 dodge with the cummins.
Not sure if the engine has been changed much, bul a tech at the cummins house changed mine and filled the filter with type A TRANSMISSION fluid.
Screwed it on and cranked it up. After that I did myself for over
137,000 miles. Never a problem.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #14

Apparently the CAT dealer that they picked up the filters don't have a problem with prefilling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I don't agree with pre-filling the fuel filters on a cummins engine as their is a chance of introducing small amounts of crud into the fuel if not done right, and it's messy and my manual says not to. I install them dry, turn the key on/off about 20-30 seconds each time but don't start. I then start the engine the last time and it will idle smooth after several seconds. I then put it on high idle for about a minute and go. Works every time for me.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote