Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Did you find out the problem?? Please let us all know

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #44

Everyone feels your pain with this ongoing problem. I have had similar problems with a Cummins N14, when pulling hills it would some times loose power and I would have to shift almost to 1st gear (15sp roadranger) to get up the hill. Long story short it was the oil pressure sending unit. When it would get hot the oil pressure would drop and the computer would think it was saving the engine by reducing power. I replaced the sender and that stopped that problem. However the other problem was one that kind of fits your problem. I would be going along and the engine would just quit or start sputtering, the previous owner told me to just change the fuel filter. As I was changing the filter it would make a sucking sound, long story short, I found the remains of 3 aluminum cans in the fuel tank and at times a piece would get sucked up to the intake tube. There are many things that can happen, being a intermittent problem makes it all the worse, but don't rule out weird things like this happening. Best of luck.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #45

And the saga continues. We were able to obtain onsite diesel repair on Syracuse. He came to the fairgrounds hooked up the computer and once again attributed it to water in the tank and changed the filter said we should be able to get home and suggested we get the tank drained and start from scratch. We left Syracuse this morning and just about 50 miles into the trip the issue returned. Once again the husband changed filters and we started down 81 again and this time we only got 20 miles before we pulled off at a Flying J. Once again the MH is going in for service tomorrow morning.

We have a question. Everyone seems to think we should have two filters but to date all 4 repair centers said they only can find one. GulfStream has been no help... They stopped producing MH's and no longer have technical support. How else could we find out this information?

To be perfectly honest we don't know where to turn at this point in time. I guess we will drain the tank and start fresh however I am questioning the water in the tank theory. We have refilled the tank once, added every additive known to mankind and are on our 5th filter. The last filter only lasted less than 20 miles...

Kim
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #46
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Because I don't know what chassis your FRED is built on this may or may not help. My experience with Oshkosh and Freightliner chassis on route trucks with 40 gal tanks behind the rear axle is this. Also this was in MN with winters and salt on the road for ice removal. The tanks developed pin holes on the top of the tank which allowed water to enter the tank. Normally you would not see any sign of a fuel leak, yet water could enter the tank.

That said, if your tank mounting is of a similar design, when you have your tank drained it might be a good idea to have them remove the tank and pressure check it for leaks. If you do this yourself, most radiator shops can check the tank and repair it if necessary.

I would recommend that the tank be drained and removed to make sure all the contamination is cleaned out. Diesel conditioners and supplements are only designed to kill bacteria, or suspend the contaminant and lower the point at which wax platelets are formed. They don't work like Heet does in gas to evaporate the moisture.

Best of luck with your solution.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #47

Thanks... The other thing that I question is if we have water in the fuel why isn't impacting the generator of which uses the same fuel source ? We have used the generator twice for hours at a time with no issues.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #48
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
Thanks... The other thing that I question is if we have water in the fuel why isn't impacting the generator of which uses the same fuel source ? We have used the generator twice for hours at a time with no issues.
My guess is that the standpipe/pickup tube for the genny is not as long as the one for the diesel engine and the contaminants don't reach the inlet of the tube. If the supply line pulls from the same standpipe then this guess doesn't hold water...pun intended.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Wow I sure feel for you guys. But can't wait to find out what the problem is. Hope you get it figured out real soon. Please keep us all informed.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #50

Tracing the fuel lines from the engine to the tank is not rocket science, I would hope that a mechanic would find a second filter if there was one in the system.
That being said , if there isn't a huge ,pre- filter, water separator in the coach I'd be looking at installing one.
As others have said , we feel your frustration on this saga, and hope this is resolved real soon. Skip.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #51

At the advice of the mechanic we drained the tank and replaced the filter again. That got us about 40 miles. Fortunately for our sake the diesel engine repair that is in our area picked up the MH and babied it to their facility. They had the computer hooked up the entire way recoding the error messages. Not only did they experience the problem first hand they also experienced our frustration as they had to stop three times to let it rest in order to get it to their facility.

We are also amazed that their is not a secondary filter but three different mechanics traced the fuel line as well as my husband and they only could find one fuel filter or water separator.

We are really putting a lot of faith in Engines, Inc. I hope they live up to our expectations.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #52

I keep checking this thread in the hopes of reading that your issues have fin lay been resolved . Good luck to you, hoping for the best with this next repair attempt .
Old 07-28-2014, 07:27 PM   #53

Hopefully this will be my last post.... Well for those who said there had to be a second filter YOU WERE RIGHT! The service manager from Engines Inc. called me this morning and told me that they located the primary filter. One of the mechanics traced the fuel supply centimeter by centimeter and tucked underneath a bunch of wires in the most obscure area they located a 2" by 6" filter that was packed tight with dirt and rust. It appears that the filter was the original factory filter and has never been replaced from new . They apologized for not catching it the first time but then again three other shops as well as my husband also looked and failed to find it. Yes it has been a tumultuous two months however we are so relieved that the problem has finally been resolved.

Thanks for all of your help, guidance and concern.

Kim
Old 07-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #54

Makes you wonder how many other lift pumps are replaced for no reason?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #55
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
Hopefully this will be my last post.... Well for those who said there had to be a second filter YOU WERE RIGHT! The service manager from Engines Inc. called me this morning and told me that they located the primary filter. One of the mechanics traced the fuel supply centimeter by centimeter and tucked underneath a bunch of wires in the most obscure area they located a 2" by 6" filter that was packed tight with dirt and rust. It appears that the filter was the original factory filter and has never been replaced from new . They apologized for not catching it the first time but then again three other shops as well as my husband also looked and failed to find it. Yes it has been a tumultuous two months however we are so relieved that the problem has finally been resolved.

Thanks for all of your help, guidance and concern.

Kim
Glad you found the primary filter Kim. It's been a few years since I worked on those but I do remember now that you mention it. They are difficult to find and change.

One observation, and not to worry you un-necessarily, the rust and dirt in the primary filter came from inside your fuel tank. Not trying to be right here so please don't think that . May want to think about draining, removing and cleaning the fuel tank so that it doesn't plug the filter again. JMHO

For sure take an extra primary filter or two with you in case it does get plugged.

Best of luck.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:21 PM   #56

Fingers crossed that this is your final post on this subject , and that you can get out and enjoy your coach and WAY less stressful trips in your RV.