Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
We are on route and having engine problems ... again. A few weeks ago my husband filled up with what we suspect was bad diesel fuel. Same circumstances.... No power, engine coughing and sputtering. Got it to a freightliner service center and they changed the filters put in some additive and test drove it with no problems. We picked it and drove it 35 miles home with no issues. We started out this evening for our trip and got two hours into the drive and we are experiencing the same issues. We literally were crawling at 5 mph until we hit the next exit on 95. We are going to let the engine cool down and then try it again in an hour or so. We are down to a 1/2 tank ... Hopefully some new fuel and more additives will help. Any other suggestions or insight would be appreciated.
With your description's, it sounds like a good amount of algae is in the bottom of your tank. There is a paste that can be applied to a stick to determine if algae is present but with the twist and turns of the filler neck you would not be able get the stick to the bottom of the tank to know for sure. I would treat the tank with a good dose of Biobor for diesel algae treatment. Keep extra filter's on board because it will take a while for the biobor to completely rid of the algae. It may take a few tanks of fuel and treatment to do so but it will rid your tank of the algae.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
Had the 96 2500 dodge with the cummins.
Not sure if the engine has been changed much, bul a tech at the cummins house changed mine and filled the filter with type A TRANSMISSION fluid.
Screwed it on and cranked it up. After that I did myself for over
137,000 miles. Never a problem.
Your 96 Dodge would have been at 12 valve with mechanical injectors. The tech filled the filter , in order to avoid using the mechanical lift pump and bleed screw & save himself time.
The set up on this coach should be a 24 valve with the Common rail& electronic injectors.
Not knowing where this coach's, electric lift pump is in relation to the 2 filters, I can't say for certain if the system would self prime from the lift pump. If the water-separator /filter is between the pump and the tank , it will have to be filled, because the lift pump won't evacuate the air from the filter. Using ATF to fill the filter on this coach would play havoc with a DPF exhaust system if , if it's equipped with one.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
One quart of ATF will not hurt anything.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #18

I had same issues with a caterpillar 3126e after a bad load of fuel. I went through two fuel filters before it cleared up. Same problems. Best of luck!
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #19

I would also add some power service bio kleen to your fuel to help clean it up. Google power service and it will tell you were to buy it also as ever one else has keep some spar fuel filters with you.
mgard64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #20

Update: DH changed the filter and surprisingly when draining it before replacing it the fuel looked relatively clean . We added some algae cleaner and we are going to start our trip home. We are have a 1/2 tNk left and we are going to wait to get to Flying J to fill . Just crossing our fingers that we make it there. Next step is to replace the fuel pump.

Thank again for all of your help.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #21

Well it looks like we are going to spending some additional time in Dover. Only drove 15 miles with the new fuel filter before the problems started again. Made a few calls and we found a diesel service center that will look at it tomorrow. Probably will be getting a new fuel pump.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #22

Sorry to hear that , hopefully a new lift pump will be the cure, and the high pressure injector pump hasn't been damaged.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #23

If the new filter(s) let you get 15 miles prior to it acting up again, it sounds to me like you have contaminated fuel clogging the filters WAY to quickly? That would be a question of how to get that stuff out of there and the system purged - not a matter of replacing the pump?
Old 06-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #24

ahicks; has a point , did you cut open , or keep the old filters?

The lift pump should be flow tested, before replacement if required; the Cummins specification on these pumps is a gallons per min. not pressure.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #25

Are you sure that you do not have three filters? I had the same problem on the road and change the fuel filters twice and still would not work properly. Was able to limp it home just barely and my mechanic showed me the third filter under the wheel well of the back tire. He replaced it And now it works perfect. Also we always fill up the truck stops where fuel is pumped constantly and algae does not have a chance to sit in.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I have had similar problems and was using biobor - went to NAPA and got Bioclean and no more problems
Old 06-29-2014, 07:38 PM   #27

I had the same problem last Oct. I have changed the filter 5 times, each one goes longer before plugging so I think changine the filters will solve the problm. I have one filter on the passenger side and one inline filter above the rear axle. The spin on filter is the one that I have been changing. NAPA and Orielly have fuel filters to fit my MH. I have changed several filters at gas stations. I starting having problems after purchasing approx. 75 gal of diesel at an Exxon Station West of Sevierville Tn.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:02 PM   #28

Yes we kept the old/new filter as well as the one that got us here. We will definitely provide them to the service center tomorrow for root cause analysis . We need to get to the bottom of this quickly as we have a trip planned to Syracuse , NY in about two weeks. The trip to DE was rather flat but the trip to NY will be mountainous and we definitely can't afford the loss of power. The good news is that we have an after market extended warranty and if it is the fuel pump it will be covered.

Oh and one last thing... While we are dry camping at Walmart we have been running the generator with no issues.