Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #1

Heading down to Galveston for a cruise and looking at DPs along the way, so excited!

We are leaving Wichita, KS Friday to make our way down to Galveston for a cruise leaving Monday. We plan on stoping at both PPL Motorhomes and Motor Home Specalists for sure, with stops at others we have time for along the way. Here in Wichita there is not much to look at DP wise, so this is our chance to look at many at one time. We can finally look at a lot of different makes and model to get a better idea of what we want. I do lean heavy twords the Dutch Stars, but thats because that is mostly what I have looked at.

It was kinda sad driving a few hours and finding out the coach is not as advertised, just to drive home feeling like we wasted time. But this weekend we can look at lots of DPs, walk in and walk right out to the next one if we dont like it. Though Im pretty sure I will get on with a side radiator( I do all my own work and services), Im going to look at everything just to have a good point to compaire things too.

When we origanly decided to get some thing now instead of waiting till we sell everything in 2019(got lots of great advise from my other posts), we said 50-60K is what we want to spend. So we focused on early 2000's year rigs. But now I look at everything under 100k thinking to my self, it just might be better to get our last DP first.

I know every Dutch Star I see I will want to look at, but Im excited to be able to finally look at a Monaco, Tiffin, Amricancoach, and Country Coach. There are some makes and models that I just didnt know about that could be my perfect DP. And after this weekend I know I will understand why some DPs cost 2x more then others.

Its going to be a super fun weekend

Jen

G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good luck, it sounds like a good trip.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You're right, there are all kinds of coaches built in the early to mid 2000 range that are excellent. Maintenance history records is a BIG plus on some of those coaches.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:57 PM   #4

Ones with maintenance records are hard to find. I have looked at 3 Dutch Stars in the early 2000s and no records on any of them. The one I just looked at Sat had filters that said 2011 on them, so with the other things I found it was a no go and they were asking top dollar.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
Good luck, it sounds like a good trip.
Thanks, I hope we find the one. I have liked some of the Dutch Star I looked at but my inspections found too much wrong for the price. I was kind of hard to sleep last night, I kept thinking about all the information we were going to gather this weekend by looking at so many different ones.

Jen
Old 04-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Check out these places while you're in Houston.

Best Preowned RV. It's run by a guy named Kevin and his wife. We didn't end up buying from them, but would have happily done so. He doesn't have a large selection, but he doesn't have any dogs on his lot.

Used RV's Motorhomes, RV Service & Sales Houston, Texas

Top Choice RV: Another good selection of quality motor homes.

Top Choice RV in Houston - RVs For Sale in Houston TX - RVs Houston TX
Old 04-14-2016, 05:26 PM   #7

Thanks barmcd, I will ckeck them out.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #8
HHg

I totally agree if you can do it. Get your last MH first. I'm on my third and I lost a little change along the way. I now have what we want. If I could just do it over, however, there aren't many do-overs in life.

Hhg
Old 04-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm for Houston shopping, but PPL is huge and can be a bit overwhelming. The sales staff supposedly doesn't work on commission. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. We went a few times in the summer and enjoyed looking at the DP's and the sales people were friendly but product knowledge was limited to reading what was contained in the computer. It was hot as Hades and the units were not running. That shouldn't be a problem this time of year. What units we liked and wanted to drive got complicated and we ended up not getting to drive one. One sales guy failed to call me as promised, and his boss (I complained) also failed to call me as promised.
After looking at several and driving several I'm happy to report we are picking up our first DP tomorrow. We bought a Monaco from an individual.
If you have time you could detour through Nacogdoches, TX and look at something at Motorhomes of Texas. Check out the website. They are great people, friendly and knowledgeable. Anything they sell is thoroughly checked out and in good shape. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Sign me '66 Shocker grad - '65 tight end

Oh, have a great cruise
Old 04-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-JLD9 View Post
Ones with maintenance records are hard to find. I have looked at 3 Dutch Stars in the early 2000s and no records on any of them. The one I just looked at Sat had filters that said 2011 on them, so with the other things I found it was a no go and they were asking top dollar.
A lot of the dealers just throw them away and claim they can't release them due to privacy laws.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #11

I concur with txice. I did buy from ppl. Sales people are barley there. You have free range to roam at your pleasure and if you need sales you go back to front desk to have one paged. Test drives. Better start early in the day and I get the feeling unless your ( and they ) feel your really interested then a test drive is granted. Frustrating to say the least. But you will see all kinds. Now let me set the stage for you. These DP's are plentiful but some just drug in out of the barn. Smells, filthy dirty, not cleaned what so ever. And so on. Prices are posted but are negotiable, ppl acts as a rep for sellers and they know the bottom dollar the seller is asking etc. not scaring you just preparing you. I low balled on a 08 tiffin and got lucky. The title was in hand meaning seller had no loan and was wanting to unload quickly. Everything worked on the rv. Lucky me. But no maintenance records and my seller was a LLC. No way to find previous owner. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Have fun on the boat
Old 04-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #12

Hi Jen

Good luck with your search. Sounds like you have an exciting weekend coming up. Even if salespeople are not around, better yet! You can wander around and look at what you have an interest in, then go find the sales person.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txice View Post
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm for Houston shopping, but PPL is huge and can be a bit overwhelming. The sales staff supposedly doesn't work on commission. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. We went a few times in the summer and enjoyed looking at the DP's and the sales people were friendly but product knowledge was limited to reading what was contained in the computer. It was hot as Hades and the units were not running. That shouldn't be a problem this time of year. What units we liked and wanted to drive got complicated and we ended up not getting to drive one. One sales guy failed to call me as promised, and his boss (I complained) also failed to call me as promised.
After looking at several and driving several I'm happy to report we are picking up our first DP tomorrow. We bought a Monaco from an individual.
If you have time you could detour through Nacogdoches, TX and look at something at Motorhomes of Texas. Check out the website. They are great people, friendly and knowledgeable. Anything they sell is thoroughly checked out and in good shape. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Sign me '66 Shocker grad - '65 tight end

Oh, have a great cruise
I like Motorhomes of Texas website, so many pics of the rig and pics of the compartment. When I called them a few weeks ago about a rig, they when and got the info I asked and called me back within an hour. I will look up how far the detour may be on the way home, and if they have something I like.

I think one of the reasons I will like looking at PPL is that they don't walk around with us. I have found that I know more about the rig then any sales people we have dealt with so far, and when I crawl under the DP and look at the engine compartments they have no clue what I'm asking them anyway. I called PPL two days ago to ask question about one and they still have not called back. But that's ok, I'm looking for quantity of rigs to look at in one weekend to see what brands we want to focus on.

Wichita State is looking to bring back a football program, I hope they do.

Jen
Old 04-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
I concur with txice. I did buy from ppl. Sales people are barley there. You have free range to roam at your pleasure and if you need sales you go back to front desk to have one paged. Test drives. Better start early in the day and I get the feeling unless your ( and they ) feel your really interested then a test drive is granted. Frustrating to say the least. But you will see all kinds. Now let me set the stage for you. These DP's are plentiful but some just drug in out of the barn. Smells, filthy dirty, not cleaned what so ever. And so on. Prices are posted but are negotiable, ppl acts as a rep for sellers and they know the bottom dollar the seller is asking etc. not scaring you just preparing you. I low balled on a 08 tiffin and got lucky. The title was in hand meaning seller had no loan and was wanting to unload quickly. Everything worked on the rv. Lucky me. But no maintenance records and my seller was a LLC. No way to find previous owner. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Have fun on the boat
I have always wondered why someone who is trying to sell something does not clean and present their rig the best they can. It would just make stuff look so much more desirable if it was clean, and washed. Thanks for the insight to what might be what I encounter tomorrow, good thing is I can just move on to another one if the one I though was going to be good turns out bad.

I will let ya know how the fun goes tomorrow.
Jen