Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #1

Headlamp replacement

I'm new to discussion in forums, so forgive me if I don't do everything correctly. We're wanting to replace the lens or upgrade our headlamps on our '03 Itasca Suncruiser, but unable to find a good source. Any recommendations?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #2

Get a Mcguire's headlight polishing kit for the lens first. They really work. Used it on our daughter's and my brother's cars with excellent results. I replaced my high beams and low beams with Sylvania Silver Star bulbs. Big improvement. About $70 total. Finally load your rig like you normally would and focus your headlights. That really helps. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #3

My suggestions:

- Aim your headlights
- Add relays (Read up here) If you have a Ford chassis you are losing about 2 volts from the battery/alternator to the headlights.

I think your headlights are copies of a '99 - '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Not 100% sure on the Jeep, and not sure if they are copies (made by someone like TYC) or real Jeep headlights. My Adventurer headlights are junk TYC copies. The steps above made mine work 100% (yes, double) better.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #4

Any polishing compound will work to take off the haze. I've even used plain toothpaste on a damp rag and rubbed with a finger. Low voltage is a matter of chasing down loose connections, corroded crimps and wire that's too light for the current flow and distance it has to travel. Also, look very closely at your bulbs. When the filaments get old, they start to vaporize and deposit a black haze to the inside of the bulb envelope. Nothing to do there but replace the bulb.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Low voltage is a matter of chasing down loose connections, corroded crimps and wire that's too light for the current flow and distance it has to travel.
Ford headlight wiring has like 14 connections from power to the lights. The actual power flow goes through the headlight switch and a few relays for the DRL system. If you have a Ford, you need relays ans some fat wire.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
My suggestions:
- Aim your headlights
- Add relays (Read up here) If you have a Ford chassis you are losing about 2 volts from the battery/alternator to the headlights.
I think your headlights are copies of a '99 - '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Not 100% sure on the Jeep, and not sure if they are copies (made by someone like TYC) or real Jeep headlights. My Adventurer headlights are junk TYC copies. The steps above made mine work 100% (yes, double) better.
I had a 01 Grand Cherokee years ago and the OEM light were fogged so bad I got a new set of the TYC units off ebay for about $70 shipped.
Made a world of difference. Silverstar bulbs are good for the money.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement