Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Headlamps Condensation

I have a 2008 Monaco Knight and the headlamps have condensation in them all the time. I have noticed that there is now starting to puddle water in the bottom of the headlamp covers. Is there a way to stop the condensation ? Can I put a small hole in the bottom of the covers to let out the water and will it hurt anything long term.
Thanks for the help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #2

Sounds like you have a seal problem, or a vent hose that is off. First take out the headlight [remove light bulb but do not touch it or you will have to clean it off afterwards]. Then look for a vent hole, usually located at the top of the light, they usually have a piece of tubeing attached to it, bent down so water can't get in or else some filter material. Take the tubeing or filter off and make sure they are not plugged. If they are plugged or missing water may be getting in or not evaporating through the hole. If the vent appears to be good (I know this will sound stupid), fill the headlight up with water and check for leaks between the two sealing halfs. If you find a spot where it is leaking it will have to be re-sealed, which usually entails cutting the two halves apart and re-sealing with a good quality ureathane sealant. You can sometimes get lucky and just seal around the outside edge where the leak is, but if it does't work then you have to get it off and start all over again. To get the moisture out of the headlight, just attach a vacume to the headlight hole and it will suck air through the vent hole and clean out the moisture. Good luck with it, and just to let you know motorhomes are not the only ones with this problem. Steve / Bev
loonlake73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I drilled small holes at the top and bottom of the lens, drained over time. You could reseal the holes, but I didn't see a need.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I will give it a try.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #5

The problem with drilling extra holes is that you allow more dust/bugs/ect. that wil eventually render your headlight useless. But in the short-term it does work, pretty nice unit to be mickey mouseing it though. Steve+Bev
loonlake73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Drilled mine years ago with no adverse effects, jmtcw.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote