Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
Headlight switch

Had my head light switch changed a few months ago cause the interior dash lites would not come on. It worked for a while but it is doing it again. Anyone know what the cause would be?

LaRolnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 06:52 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Mine had been intermittent last year and now doesn't work now at all.

This is a standard headlight switch, one compatible one is like this

I haven't dug into the cause but it may be a loose connection or bad ground. You might take it out and see if you can get it to work.

Hopefully someone will comment that has had this problem and fixed.

Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
I had the same experience a few years ago, plus my voltage gauge dropped whenever I turned on the headlights. In addition, my headlight switch got so hot that it self destructed - melted. It was an AC Delco D1588 headlight switch. The new one had 7 posts, my old one had 8 posts, but one post had never been used, so I assume that it had previously been replaced incorrectly.

Replacing the headlight switch did not solve the voltage drop problem for me,
and it overheated too. So I then connected independent ground wires from the metal firewall to the daisy chain ground wire at the gauges. I think I added 3 ground wires. That helped the brightness and accuracy of the gauges, but the headlight switch still ran hot, although the voltage gauge didn't drop quite as much when I turned the headlights on.

So then I very carefully drilled a very small hole in a metal tab on the frame body of the headlight switch and connected a 12 gauge ground wire to it and connected that to the front metal firewall. Now the voltage gauge never moves, no matter whether the headlights are on or off, the dash gauge lights are brighter, the headlight switch does not get hot, and the interior dash lights work properly.

Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
I have a chassis wiring schematic for my coach. I found the dimmer switch and there is a 10 amp fuse specifically for this function. On mine it may be in either Box 1 or Box 2 in the front drivers side run bay.

Your system may be the same. I'd check for a fuse first. As I remember when I used the dimmer switch in the past it lite up all the lights on the console panels it may have overloaded the fuse since each of these pulled some wattage.

You may try to contact Holiday Rambler and see if they can send you a complete set of wiring diagrams including the chassis. I recently did this for my coach, they are a lot easier to read and query then the paper copies I have. In the PDF form you can do a find function, this is how I found the dimmer switch. If you use the CTRL 5 function in the PDF when you magnify the page it cleans up the print to make it readable.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote