Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #1

Post Headlights 2000 Dutch Star 3891

Bob Potter, 2000 Dutch Star 3891 2 slides 350 ISC
I want to upgrade the headlight on our coach I think they are from Ford
F-150, Bronco 1993 to 96, does anyone know for sure?
Also we tow a 2011 Ford Edge, does anyone know where to find the wire to momentarily disconnect in order to remove the key while in neutral.
Thank You
bdpotter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpotter2 View Post
Also we tow a 2011 Ford Edge, does anyone know where to find the wire to momentarily disconnect in order to remove the key while in neutral.
If you are concerned about leaving a key in the ign that would start the vehicle, just have a non-chip key cut for the ign and use it. That is what we used on our previous Ford Escape Hybrid and not use on our Ford Flex. Works like a champ.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #3

key in ign

Thanks but that is not the problem, the battery goes dead, sometimes, in 2 hours because the system does not shut down the computer. We have had a running fight with Ford, the only way to make sure the system turn's off is to get the key out, while the shifter is in neutral.
Bob
Old 11-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #4

We have the 2012 Explorer and I added a charge wire from MH to the toad battery to stop dead battery problems.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #5

dead battery

Thanks, I've also come to the conclusion thats a bandaid approach but will work. Have everything done except a relay to connect the two together only when the key in MH is on. I know from experience that when the battery is dead you can take the key out in any gear, so that means there is a hot wire to the ignition keeping the key from being removed except when the gear selector is in Park. If I could find that wire and put a momentary switch in line and press it with the gear selector in N the key could be removed and the battery would not go dead.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Never did hear what headlites to use. I bought a solar panel and hooked it to the battery on my Saturn Ion. It was a easy fix as the battery is in the trunk, I just lay the solar panel in the back window and hook it up to the battery in the trunk. Jim
Old 11-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #7

Not sure if this helps or not, but we have a 2010 Ford Edge and when we complete the hook up procedure we turn the key completely off (ie car in neutral and key in off position). The procedure in the Ford manual appeared confusing as it says turn to second stop. After having the car battery drain once, we switched to this method and have had not issues since. Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpotter2 View Post
Thanks but that is not the problem, the battery goes dead, sometimes, in 2 hours because the system does not shut down the computer. We have had a running fight with Ford, the only way to make sure the system turn's off is to get the key out, while the shifter is in neutral.
Bob
If the ignition is on keep turning the key one position more towards off. there will be a position where the key switch will be off and the when isn't locked and trans is in neutral.
This position won't run the battery down unless your brake lights are doing it then a key removal won't help that.

As far as your headlights go, upgrade to what?? in what way? do your old ones have fogged up lenses? If they are in good shape they are adequate lights most of the time.
with good lenses you could get some better bulbs like Sylvainia Silverstar replacement bulbs or buy a set of good quality aux lights and mount them on the front.
Not i said good quality lights. if you have ever had a good set you will know the difference.
Your factory headlights might and anything you add will need the beam adjusted.
And whatever you do do NOT "upgrade" to a "HID bulb kit" that fits in your stock headlight housing. Those housings are not made for that.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights