Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #1

Heads up at Citgo

We just got back from our annual spring vacation and ran into something that Citgo is pulling. Our coach is a gaser and the pumps will not let you put anymore gas into your coach after $200. It's bad enough that you have to reset the pump after $100, but at $200 you are done. It won't take you're credit card.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #2

If you give the bank a call that issued the CC you will find out it is their policy that stops the fill ups at these amounts and not Citgo.
85Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
There are a lot of stops that the pump stops at $75. You can swipe the card again and get another $75, but then it is done! Citgo sounds like the place to go to.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Bay37QSB,

I assume you can use another card?
There is more than one way to skin a fuel pump!

Steve
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Eagle View Post
If you give the bank a call that issued the CC you will find out it is their policy that stops the fill ups at these amounts and not Citgo.
Sorry, but with my CC the opposite is true...it's not the CC it's the station.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Sorry, but with my CC the opposite is true...it's not the CC it's the station.
Same here. If it was the CC company how could it vary from station to station? I see limit numbers as low as $50 and as high as $150.
$200 sounds good to me.

A few will only let you re-swipe the card once or twice but that has been pretty rare in my experience.
I don't recall having to swipe more than 3 times so I don't know what the typical limit might be.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #7

If you know you're going to be over $150.00 or so just go inside and prepay 300.00 or whatever you think it will take.. they'll credit back whatever you don't use....
Old 04-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wont pay at the pump since my DW card got highjacked at a gas station ...Now i always pay inside and just tell them 200 or 300 whatever i think it will take and if it stops early i just go back inside and get the change it is a pain in the A** but i always get a full tank
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every station that limits that I have ever talked to said "Blame the credit card, Blame the card, Blame the card."

Ok, if it's the card,, Then WHY do some stations let me pump 75 or 100, and other stations unlimited or the credit limit? Can you tell me that one?

Somehow.. I do not think it is ever the card.

Now on DEBIT cards,, You may have a daily limit.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have talked at length with both master card and discover and they both say the staion sets the limit. because you get $50 at one $75 at another and then 485 at another.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is the gas company. I know for sure, because I went to my credit union and tried to get them to raise the dollar limit. They said it is the gas co. that sets the limit because, if a stolen card is used, the credit card co. will not pay the gas co. Therefore the gas co. is trying to keep thier loss low.
ga traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
If you know you're going to be over $150.00 or so just go inside and prepay 300.00 or whatever you think it will take.. they'll credit back whatever you don't use....
I usually hand them my drivers license and ask them to turn the pump on. You can leave your CC with them but I am not comfortable doing that.

I did come across one station this winter that insisted that I do as you suggested. Had to give them a guess and prepay.

Not a big deal if they credit it back properly.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know who is pulling the strings but my Visa card seems to be limited to $75 and I can swipe it a second time but that's it. I then have to switch to my debit card.

I refuse to go inside to prepay because I just won't wait in line TWICE to spend my money. I'm not sure how it's easier to hijack a card at the pump than it is inside either.

A pain in the tailpipe.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
It is the gas company. I know for sure, because I went to my credit union and tried to get them to raise the dollar limit. They said it is the gas co. that sets the limit because, if a stolen card is used, the credit card co. will not pay the gas co. Therefore the gas co. is trying to keep their loss low.
If that is the case (and I am not saying it isn't) why do they allow me to swipe the card 2 and 3 times? It still adds up to 150 to 225 dollars? The Costco pumps shut off at $100 and I have swiped the card 3 times with no problem.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote