Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2017, 07:14 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
gsgriffin,

I've messed with the VMspec software enough to see that it is not resolution independent. It would save some startup time tweaking your setup. I do plan on doing this later this summer. I'm due for a laptop upgrade (mine is pushing 5 years old now). Hadn't thought about the dual use possibilities of a Surface Pro. It certainly makes it an easier sell to DW. Thanks for sharing your setup. Inspiring...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2017, 07:18 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Have you tried to easiest solution? Change you seating position.
That is not the solution for me either. The Air Ride Seats put me up too high for that and after having them I can't imagine having a coach without them.

Anyone who thinks a display of a lot of data on a flat panel is distracting hasn't used it. It is just information available whenever you want it and can be ignored otherwise. After using a flat panel display I have never heard of anyone that wanted to go back to steam gauges.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #31

I like the display. Does anyone know if this will work with older coaches. Mine is an 05 Winnebago Cummins 400 ISL
Old 04-28-2017, 08:10 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstalker View Post
I like the display. Does anyone know if this will work with older coaches. Mine is an 05 Winnebago Cummins 400 ISL
I've ordered VMSpc for me 99 Monaco Windsor so I'll let you know ;-)
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstalker View Post
My display image is on a '04 Monaco Diplomat. Will work just fine with most any Diesel engine.
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waywards View Post
gsgriffin,

I've messed with the VMspec software enough to see that it is not resolution independent. It would save some startup time tweaking your setup. I do plan on doing this later this summer. I'm due for a laptop upgrade (mine is pushing 5 years old now). Hadn't thought about the dual use possibilities of a Surface Pro. It certainly makes it an easier sell to DW. Thanks for sharing your setup. Inspiring...
I tried to attach the file, but this forum won't allow it. Here is a link to the file on my Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4r...ew?usp=sharing

Hope you can use it and it helps. Please note that some of the settings I have created custom values for and have both high and low alarms and notes. A little more technical, but something you can play with.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
gsgriffin, I see you are using 4.0, any issues with it? I have it but am still mainly using the older version.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:53 AM   #36

Hypoxia,

I do have little issues that their tech support says nobody else has and they've never heard of. I find on my Surface Pro 3 with Cummins 330 isc that the program will simply crash and have to be restarted. Can't figure out what causes it. Sometimes can go for hours with nothing. Then is starts to have problems and keeps happening. Even have had it crash and force me to reinstall because the data becomes corrupted. Also sometimes gets the trip data messed up and starts showing me things like I've traveled over a million miles.

I'm beginning to think that my engine from time to time can send bad data...perhaps a connection, a wire, or simply something failing...and VMSpc can't properly compensate for the problem. Haven't see others post this issue.

I do like the new features, customizing, ability to enter custom values and the new gauges. I've put most everything that can be read from the engine on the display, but choose to locate and size the gauge based on how often I need to see it and how important it is. I also like the dark "night time" mode that doesn't catch the eye day or night. I use this as default.

Don't know if your photo is just a sample or were you put it while driving, but I can recommend an adjustable mounting arm to put it off to the side and down a little. My position puts in below my left mirror and basically covering up almost nothing outside. Hides a gauge or two that are completely replaced by VMSpc.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
I had some similar issues with 4 which is considered a beta version. I did like the features though. I'll wait until they fix it, if that ever happens.

I've had that display in front of me for the last 5 years. The only time it is in the way is when pulling up close to an obstacle & since it is a laptop I simply fold the screen down. It has never been a factor when travelling.

It's interesting that the heads up displays seem to have disappeared. Everyone I knew that had it liked it.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:34 AM   #38

It will be a month before I'm back home to get my projector put in here. I plan to try to DIY heads up with the VMSpc display. Will try some clear spray applications to an upper section of the window and hope to get a good enough reflection from that while still be able to at least see through for signs and traffic lights. Can't hurt to try, but most systems are self-contained and only show the information they want...preconfigured. I'm hoping that this combination of VMSpc and projector will give me my display in a section of the windows I can most afford to lose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HUD Design.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	160011