Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Now I may have a new problem. I was about to bite the bullet and try out a cheaper model when I noticed it says it will not work on pre 2007 models. Can anyone tell me why?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I use an OBD2 sensor connected with Bluetooth to a dell tablet. The tablet is adhesive mounted to my dash on top and just to the left of center. I use the Torque app and have a customized screen with RPM, speed, trans temp and engine temp. I had the same issue as OP and this fixed it. I ran a cord to power the tablet so I don't have to take it out to charge. BTW I fly a 757 with a HUD and I wouldn't want one in my MH. The tablet setup works great.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:59 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisflyer View Post
I use an OBD2 sensor connected with Bluetooth to a dell tablet. The tablet is adhesive mounted to my dash on top and just to the left of center. I use the Torque app and have a customized screen with RPM, speed, trans temp and engine temp. I had the same issue as OP and this fixed it. I ran a cord to power the tablet so I don't have to take it out to charge. BTW I fly a 757 with a HUD and I wouldn't want one in my MH. The tablet setup works great.
Really? May I ask why you wouldn't want a hud in your motor home?
Old 11-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
HUD should be standard equipment in large motor homes! Paddle shifting should be standard as well.

Managing a 6 speed transmission located by your hip, plus a 2 speed engine brake, in a 40,000 pound vehicle going down a twisty 6-7 deg slope with killer mountain drop offs on the roadside gets busier than it needs to be.

Presentation should be MPH, RPM, Gear selected, Gear engaged, Jake brake selection. Nothing else needed. All the parameters are already electronically available in the Allison/Cummins system.

When you drive the mountain highways this HUD system would make a huge difference to the driver. It would be of little value "straight and level" on the Interstate in Nebraska.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
HUD should be standard equipment in large motor homes! Paddle shifting should be standard as well.

Managing a 6 speed transmission located by your hip, plus a 2 speed engine brake, in a 40,000 pound vehicle going down a twisty 6-7 deg slope with killer mountain drop offs on the roadside gets busier than it needs to be.

Presentation should be MPH, RPM, Gear selected, Gear engaged, Jake brake selection. Nothing else needed. All the parameters are already electronically available in the Allison/Cummins system.

When you drive the mountain highways this HUD system would make a huge difference to the driver. It would be of little value "straight and level" on the Interstate in Nebraska.
Kinda what I was thinkin.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I use a Silverleaf VMSPC connected to the data port and display right in front of me on a 7 in tablet mounted in a bracket at almost eye level.
The MPH,RPM,etc are just some of the info displayed and you can arrange your display with different colors to readily and easily see it immediately without hunting for it on the screen.You can keep an eye on traffic at the same time.
I agree these beasts require constant vigilance.

I did try the wireless version but lost the connection too many times and changed to a USB connection and it is performing great.

2009 Beaver Contessa
2015 Ford Edge SEL
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #21

Heads up display?

I guess not being in a hurry works pretty well, especially on grades. I like to enjoy the ride and am not challenged by a glance at my instruments with the tilt and telescope of the wheel, and can shift by feel. It ain't like driving an F-4 by a long shot.
If the hud and shift paddles etc had been standard on my rig, I'm pretty sure I could not have afforded it. And I don't require an upgrade now.
But I wish you well, and Happy Trails

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=Rusty years;2829898]This is what you have to offer, misinformation. Per Wikipedia
A head-up display or heads-up display[1]—also known as a HUD—is any transparent display that presents data without requiring users to look away from their usual viewpoints.

Sorry, Wikipedia did not invent the HUD, nor did I. However, I spent 35 years in civil service working for the Navy on the A6, A7, F18, and A12 aircraft. We built software simulators for all of these, and we did develop Head Up Displays for all. There is only one pilot in each of these aircraft and therefore only one head looking at the HUD. ALL military nomenclature pertaining to these devices are called : Head Up Display.

So sorry, no misinformation on my part.

Quote:
Insane938 Yes lanerd, the official term is "head up display". However, throughout the internet and other forums, people have habitually referred to it as "heads up display". Hence my use of the word.
Again, it is a "common" misconception...so yes, many people use this term. That's exactly why I posted what I did. Just because people on other forums say "heads", doesn't make it correct, nor is Wikipedia the last word on the subject.

The commercial HUD was developed from the military version. The military version was and is still called Head Up Display.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:45 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a photo of my Silverleaf VMSpc program running on a 8" HP laptop. It allows me to track all of my gauges without looking down. It also has alarms if something drops below or above parameters.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Here you go.
A8 5 5" Dash Screen Projector Car Hud Head Up Display OBD II OBD2 Auto Gauge US | eBay
Old 11-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
This is exactly what I have been looking at. However when you look up the specs, it says that it will only fit 2007 and up. When I inquired. they said it requires ODBII. My MH has an OBDII port. All vehicles sold in the US since 1996 have one. I am totally confused as to why they say this won't work.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
In response to your question as to why I wouldn't want a HUD in the MH, the HUD is intended to be a look through device - obviously. The challenge is that it is a difficult and learned skill to take in the HUD info and not lose focus and concentration on the outside world. In aviation, even for a fighter pilot (where the device was originally put in use) we are not about to run into anything in the near term so losing some of the outside focus is acceptable and workable. In my MH, I don't want anything to cause me to fixate in anything other than the road. I would rather make a quick glance at data and return my focus to the road ahead. I know this might sound trivial but I have studied human factors in aviation my whole flying career and assure you it's a real issue. Load up the HUD and it will cost some amount - perhaps a lot - of focus. Also, I'm getting a kick out of the conversations about the nomenclature. Yes, technically the acronym originally stood for "Head Up Display" but that really is an out of date term. The industry norm (even for some of the manufacturers) is "Heads Up Display". At my company the thought is that in the approach environment with low visibility, the idea is to be able to have 2 heads up instead of one pilot focusing down on only instruments. Hence the term Heads Up, not Head Up. I'm always amused by folks on this forum splitting hairs instead of concentrating on the original question
Old 11-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane938 View Post
This is exactly what I have been looking at. However when you look up the specs, it says that it will only fit 2007 and up. When I inquired. they said it requires ODBII. My MH has an OBDII port. All vehicles sold in the US since 1996 have one. I am totally confused as to why they say this won't work.

It means on some cars that the obd2 wasn't installed until 2007. My 03 has a obd2 in fact I am thinking about getting one. But the key word is obd2. It will work.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Concerning the issue of focus. On my 93 Pointic SSEI, the HUD display on the windshield "seemed" to be located out close to the front of the car...not on the windshield itself. At that distance, my eyes would need very little refocus looking from the road to the display. It was weird, to say the least.

Ron

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote