Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisflyer View Post
In response to your question as to why I wouldn't want a HUD in the MH, the HUD is intended to be a look through device - obviously. The challenge is that it is a difficult and learned skill to take in the HUD info and not lose focus and concentration on the outside world. In aviation, even for a fighter pilot (where the device was originally put in use) we are not about to run into anything in the near term so losing some of the outside focus is acceptable and workable. In my MH, I don't want anything to cause me to fixate in anything other than the road. I would rather make a quick glance at data and return my focus to the road ahead. I know this might sound trivial but I have studied human factors in aviation my whole flying career and assure you it's a real issue. Load up the HUD and it will cost some amount - perhaps a lot - of focus. Also, I'm getting a kick out of the conversations about the nomenclature. Yes, technically the acronym originally stood for "Head Up Display" but that really is an out of date term. The industry norm (even for some of the manufacturers) is "Heads Up Display". At my company the thought is that in the approach environment with low visibility, the idea is to be able to have 2 heads up instead of one pilot focusing down on only instruments. Hence the term Heads Up, not Head Up. I'm always amused by folks on this forum splitting hairs instead of concentrating on the original question
Thank you so much for supporting me on the nomenclature. Lanerd is obviously old school.

I can't imagine having the tablet on my left with all that info displayed and distracting me. Too bad many of you can't feel your speed and need to be looking at gauges all the time. In the mountains there is no need to watch speed and in the flat lands just set cruise and relax.

Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 02:16 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Here is a photo of my Silverleaf VMSpc program running on a 8" HP laptop. It allows me to track all of my gauges without looking down. It also has alarms if something drops below or above parameters.

How do you deal with at night? I have used a tablet for navigation and it was so bright [after dark], I had t turn it out completely.

Just curious how you adjust for nighttime...

Old 11-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
In response to your question as to why I wouldn't want a HUD in the MH, the HUD is intended to be a look through device - obviously. The challenge is that it is a difficult and learned skill to take in the HUD info and not lose focus and concentration on the outside world. In aviation, even for a fighter pilot (where the device was originally put in use) we are not about to run into anything in the near term so losing some of the outside focus is acceptable and workable. In my MH, I don't want anything to cause me to fixate in anything other than the road. I would rather make a quick glance at data and return my focus to the road ahead. I know this might sound trivial but I have studied human factors in aviation my whole flying career and assure you it's a real issue. Load up the HUD and it will cost some amount - perhaps a lot - of focus. Also, I'm getting a kick out of the conversations about the nomenclature. Yes, technically the acronym originally stood for "Head Up Display" but that really is an out of date term. The industry norm (even for some of the manufacturers) is "Heads Up Display". At my company the thought is that in the approach environment with low visibility, the idea is to be able to have 2 heads up instead of one pilot focusing down on only instruments. Hence the term Heads Up, not Head Up. I'm always amused by folks on this forum splitting hairs instead of concentrating on the original question
Hairsplitting indeed. Thank you for your response. I was, in fact actually going to place the HUD to the left or right of my normal field of vision, so that I could just glance at it without having to do all the contortions necessary to see the gauges in my MH. I agree that I would not want a fighter type HUD in my MH. You have to mentally shrug to change between the HUD and what you are seeing outside. It does take some practice. Less for some than others.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I guess I owe some of you a reply. For all comments, I am truly grateful. However, I feel I have to reply to one comment that was made about not buying if everything was not perfect. I guess some folks have that luxury. I don't I have to stay within a budget. If a couple of minor inconveniences keep me from a bargain, I may never achieve my goal. I am not the only one, on this forum, or others. that has complained about the way the F53 dash was set up, and the impossibility of getting the steering wheel out of the way of the gauges when driving. I am simply trying to find a solution to this problem for myself and others. It may be a problem for only a few of us who own older F53 coaches, but it is still an RV problem, and as such should have the right to be discussed in a civilized manner on this forum.
Enough rant.

I really do appreciate those of you that are trying to help me with this problem.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Rusty years
I don't think anyone said anything about looking at gauges all the time, but I was taught that the gauges were there for a reason, and as such should be checked every once in a while, a not so easy feat in my particular coach, at my particular height, at the particular placement of the gauges in my dashboard. I do find it necessary to check not only my speed, but my temperature, pressures, and fuel every once in a while. I find knowing those things.... comforting. I have never been one to fly by the seat of my pants. I like a little information on my side.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
The industry norm (even for some of the manufacturers) is "Heads Up Display
You know just for grins and giggles, I just did a quick Google of manufactures of "Head up Display", and also "Heads up Display". Would you believe not any of the manufactures (that Google brought up) of these devices call them Heads up Display. They are all referred to as Head up Display.

So I really don't think the above statement is true.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:47 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Great idea! Like the OP - once I tilt/extend the steering while into a position that I'm comfortable - a pretty good swath of my gauge and dash display are obscured. While I'm not willing to spend BIG bucks - I'd be willing to risk $50 for something like the device shown at the Amazon link that was posted earlier in this thread - on the chance that it might improve the visibility to dash/gauge data.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Have HUD in my Z06 Corvette. Even the GPS is tied into it. I love it. Plenty of after market units available cheap. See hud head up display - Buy Cheap hud head up display - From Banggood
Old 11-19-2015, 10:33 PM   #37

How does someone know if they have obdii or some other connection? Is the connector labeled?

🚌🚍🚌
1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.
2007 Chevy Uplander TOAD.
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:40 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virago-Rider View Post
How does someone know if they have obdii or some other connection? Is the connector labeled?

🚌🚍🚌
1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.
2007 Chevy Uplander TOAD.
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
OBDII - On-Board Diagnostic's System - Does My Car Have OBD-II? The Connector and Communications.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:58 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
My two cents. I have over 3000 hrs of military fighter HUD time. The jumbo jet I now fly has a HUD. My DW's Lexus has a HUD. I wouldn't pay much to have a HUD in my MH! As others said, HUD use is specialized and takes time to be good at it. I also think a HUD would degrade night driving unless really hi tech and combined with a FLIR. Another thing not mentioned is from my former military life we said some pilots end up being fixated in the HUD and crash. It could tend to narrow your view around you. That is a good thing when trying to lock up a enemy but not so good trying to keep your moving house in the middle of your lane. Simple HUDs with speed or perhaps turn by turn instructions are okay, but anything more complicated than that would cause more problems. IMO as an expert HUD monkey.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:01 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Simple HUDs with speed or perhaps turn by turn instructions are okay, but anything more complicated than that would cause more problems. IMO as an expert HUD monkey.
I totally agree. HUD s with too much info would be a distraction. No more information than on a normal set of dashboard gauges is required. As I stated before, I think that the add-on HUD that we are talking about should be placed at one side or other of the driver's peripheral vision , so that he/she can just quickly glance at it and return his/her attention quickly to the task at hand. Piloting his/her house safely down the highway. I Know, I for one, would not want to be looking through information in the dead of night, in a snowstorm, on a twisting mountain road.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:08 AM   #41

Don't the head up displays project upward onto a slanted windshield?. The military versions also appear to have an angled glass panel in front of the pilot. I wonder if one would really work on the more vertical windshield of a motorhome.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
George,
You are correct. One would definitely have to construct some kind of carrier to place the display unit at the correct angle to reflect off the vertical windshield. I don't see this to be an insurmountable problem, though.