Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2015, 08:00 AM   #43

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I may have just answered one of my own questions. It seems that in 2006 most manufacturers around the world adopted the CAN protocol for their OBDII. This may explain why some units say 2007 of after. Before this many manufacturers, including Ford, and GM had their own proprietary protocols.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2015, 08:24 AM   #44

Ford Super Duty Owner
Did not see it mentioned yet - but I am pretty sure all HUD's require a special projection surface. For add-on applications that would require adding a film to windshield. Also the cable length could be a major problem due to distance from OBD port to dash location needed for good display. I am interested and may get one if nobody reports on actually having one. Hard to see dash display coupled with tired/old eyes makes for very difficult speed control. For now I rely on speed info from GPS display.

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Did not see it mentioned yet - but I am pretty sure all HUD's require a special projection surface. For add-on applications that would require adding a film to windshield.
Could be an add on transparent projection screen placed between the driver and the windshield (like most military aircraft). Plenty of room in most MHs for this. My camaro had a special windshield.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Did not see it mentioned yet - but I am pretty sure all HUD's require a special projection surface. For add-on applications that would require adding a film to windshield. Also the cable length could be a major problem due to distance from OBD port to dash location needed for good display. I am interested and may get one if nobody reports on actually having one. Hard to see dash display coupled with tired/old eyes makes for very difficult speed control. For now I rely on speed info from GPS display.
What I have found that in certain instances, the windshield itself will work. But, In our cases they probably won't. Just our luck LOL. Most of them do, however come with a display film, or you can by one from Amazon. Sorry, I don't know how to attach a link.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
They sell plexiglass book holders that would work perfect. Install the reflective cover and Velcro unit in place. I will look up the holder

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Norpro-ACRYL...IAAOSwo0JWM0Ig

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 11-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
How do you deal with at night? I have used a tablet for navigation and it was so bright [after dark], I had t turn it out completely.

Just curious how you adjust for nighttime...
I use an iPad with Dash Command for engine monitoring and Copilot for nav. The iPad auto dims pretty low plus Copilot can automatically switch to a dark theme at night so no problems with brightness:

Click image for larger version

Name:	copilot2-ipad.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	112436

Click image for larger version

Name:	dashcoomand.png
Views:	107
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	112437
Old 11-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want to see what is coming to this country in a few years gadget wise, check out the Chinese Electronics sites. These guys have HUD's:

Buy Affordable HUD at Lowest Price – F01 Car Vehicle HUD Head Up Display System (Black) - FocalPrice.com

Another neat site is Online Shopping for Chinese Android Phone, TV Box, Tablet PC Wholesale at GeekBuying

I bought a cheap tablet from them once. Worked well for about a year and then it would not boot. Haven't bought anything from them since but I do like to look.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:26 AM   #50

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Can't seem to find this info on the web. Does anybody know if basic information,(mph, rpm, etc.) can be retrieved from an OBDI? PITA to get to the connector in my MH. Can't see the connector, let alone the connection points. Definitely has OBDII connector, but nowhere a sticker that says OBDII compliant. So, am assuming that it is OBDI with an OBDII connector as discussed on other forums. If information is available, might spring for the fifty bucks just to see if I can get what I need out of it.

Thanks
Old 11-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Heads up display?

Just ordered this one. Will post updates and how well it works with pics.
[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/A8-5-5-Dash-Screen-Projector-Car-HUD-Head-Up-Display-OBD-II-OBD2-Auto-Gauge-US-/252072359167?hash=item3ab0aef4ff:g:8soAAOSwA4dWKev w&vxp=mtr]A8 5 5" Dash Screen Projector Car Hud Head Up Display OBD II OBD2 Auto Gauge US | eBay

Old 11-23-2015, 07:12 PM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Johndale
Just wondering, is your coach OBD1 Or OBD2 certified?
Old 11-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
It is obd2

Old 11-24-2015, 08:12 AM   #54

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Being that it is OBD2, I am sure it will work. You may have to build some kind of stand to point it at the windshield, and maybe lengthen the cable. but I'll bet it will work. From what I can find out. I'm SOL. Nobody has answered my question about OBD1, so either nobody knows. or nobody is saying.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:54 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane938 View Post
Being that it is OBD2, I am sure it will work. You may have to build some kind of stand to point it at the windshield, and maybe lengthen the cable. but I'll bet it will work. From what I can find out. I'm SOL. Nobody has answered my question about OBD1, so either nobody knows. or nobody is saying.
here is your answer that i researched and found out OBD2 started in 1999 but some had OBD1 but if you have the same shape as the OBD2 it will work you just wont get some of the later add on. There is adapters out there for this just do a search. They have cheap wifi ones for under $10 to see if it works on OBD1 but dig a little deeper and am still trying to find your answer.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:12 AM   #56

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Hmmmm. I see, for some reason that my post from yesterday. didn't post. Maybe the gremlins didn't like it or something. Anyhow. what I said is that I do, indeed, have the OBD2 receptacle, but the EPA sticker says it is OBD1 compliant. OBD2 was required on cars and light trucks starting in 1996, but the F53 chassis is considered to be a heavy duty truck, which was exempted until either 2005 or 2008 depending on which paper you read. I am just concerned that I will spend money trying to retrieve information that is not available as it was not recorded by OBD1. Guess I'll just have to try a bluetooth and see. It's a bunch cheaper than a HUD it it doesn't work.
Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to all.