Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #57

I sure could have used a hud coming from cherkee to Gatlinburg yesterday. Had to take my eyes off the road way to much to look at my gps.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #58

My MH (see signature) seems to not have an OBD plug. All I can find is one labeled "engine diagnostics" and it is a round 6-pin plug. I did find an OBD style labled "transmission." Can this 6-pin plug be used with a bluetooth transmitter? Or, is their an adapter plug to convert my plug to an OBD style plug? Would like to get the OBDLinkLX and run it using Torque Pro.
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving....

Old 11-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCDevilDog View Post
My MH (see signature) seems to not have an OBD plug. All I can find is one labeled "engine diagnostics" and it is a round 6-pin plug. I did find an OBD style labled "transmission." Can this 6-pin plug be used with a bluetooth transmitter? Or, is their an adapter plug to convert my plug to an OBD style plug? Would like to get the OBDLinkLX and run it using Torque Pro.
Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving....

They make adapters for that and cheap around $6 up and free shipping. Just search obd2 adapters and you will see yours. What I have read on the older ones you loose a couple of items like o2 sensor fuel flow stuff like that. Plus they sell wifi plug ins cheap $10. Try that before getting a head up display. And on the op if you search you will find the same info and will tell you everything you need to know. Took me 20 min to find the info but to much to post.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #60

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Been searching for what non emissions can be pulled from OBD1 for weeks. Even before I was sure I had OBD1. I can't find anywhere that you cal pull real-time information such as vehicle speed and rpm from OBD1. Of course, that is available in OBD2. That is principally what I am interested in. If I was sure I could get that information out of my unit, I would not hesitate to buy a HUD. However, without that information, the HUD would be worthless. As you said Johndale, there is a plethora of information about what you can get from OBD2, even older ones, but not for OBD1. At least, not that I can find.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane938 View Post
Been searching for what non emissions can be pulled from OBD1 for weeks. Even before I was sure I had OBD1. I can't find anywhere that you cal pull real-time information such as vehicle speed and rpm from OBD1. Of course, that is available in OBD2. That is principally what I am interested in. If I was sure I could get that information out of my unit, I would not hesitate to buy a HUD. However, without that information, the HUD would be worthless. As you said Johndale, there is a plethora of information about what you can get from OBD2, even older ones, but not for OBD1. At least, not that I can find.
this is what i have found.
https://sites.google.com/site/stoyne...l/obd1_vs_obd2
I hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:29 PM   #62

Since the big diesels were not required to have OBD until 2013 most did not. I thought some options for it existed but I never saw one. The big diesels used J1939 J1708 protocols which I think Scangauge D works with. Silverleaf also but for more $. If you could find a 2004 with OBD it would be OBDII. Or get yourself a new rig with OBDII.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #63

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Johndale. Gee thanks. I guess that since there is no data logging on OBD1 I am SOL. Oh well it was worth a try.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:21 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadDad View Post
Since the big diesels were not required to have OBD until 2013 most did not. I thought some options for it existed but I never saw one. The big diesels used J1939 J1708 protocols which I think Scangauge D works with. Silverleaf also but for more $. If you could find a 2004 with OBD it would be OBDII. Or get yourself a new rig with OBDII.
I have a J1708 6-pin connector and I took a look at the Scangauge D. It has many nice features. Therefore, if I got an adapter for my 6-pin to the OBDII female, then any of the OBDII scanners should work the same as the Scangauge D. Correct??????
Old 11-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
My 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe has a head up display. However, unlike the projection type of display that anybody can read off your windshield, this one uses the windshield as a mirror (or reflection) to look down a tube in the dash where the info is displayed. Nobody can see the info except the driver. Thought that was pretty imaginative thinking.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:51 AM   #66

USMCDevilDog...The J1708 6 pin to OBDII adapters certainly are available. Specifically what that means in the case of any particular "thing" you would plug into would have to be answered by the maker of each "thing" You should chat with the Scanguage folks, they are pretty good at customer support and given the $ with this stuff they seem like a good bet. They might be able to tell you if there is a "general" rule about what to expect using adapters but they probably won't steer you to anyone else. You might also look at this http://www.amazon.com/BlueFire-Bluet.../dp/B00V1QBNFI Supposedly it will plug into J1708 and send bluetooth...it is big $ to me...but if it works with Torquepro on android tablet it would be pretty slick. Keep your head down, Semper Fi
Old 11-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #67
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
I think the HUD's are a great addition to any vehicle,I have it in my Vette my wife has it in her Lexus love it not a distraction at all
Old 12-01-2015, 03:08 PM   #68

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Ok guys. I just received my bluetooth OBDII scanner, and hooked it to my coach. Paired it with my phone using Torque. It definitely shows engine RPM, and says that Speed from OBD is available. There are a bunch of values that are not there, but the main two seem to be. Upon further research, it seems that some older coaches, (supposedly the ones with OBDII connectors), may have ODBII computers, with ODBI programming, which makes them (what is the PC wording?) programically challenged? However, looks like the information I really need may be available. Time to spend some money and get my A__ chewed by the DW. I'll keep you informed as to what I find out.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane938 View Post
Ok guys. I just received my bluetooth OBDII scanner, and hooked it to my coach. Paired it with my phone using Torque. It definitely shows engine RPM, and says that Speed from OBD is available. There are a bunch of values that are not there, but the main two seem to be. Upon further research, it seems that some older coaches, (supposedly the ones with OBDII connectors), may have ODBII computers, with ODBI programming, which makes them (what is the PC wording?) programically challenged? However, looks like the information I really need may be available. Time to spend some money and get my A__ chewed by the DW. I'll keep you informed as to what I find out.

Hold on your money. I just bought a hud and all it will read is battery. I put it in my car and works great. So now I have a special on a hud unit. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1449012490.126661.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	113145
But the wifi I have works great on the RV so I will use the gps for now.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #70

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Crap! Too late. Already ordered. Since your coach is newer than mine, I'm sure it won't work on mine either. Already ordered, so will have to see it I can stop it.