Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane938 View Post
Crap! Too late. Already ordered. Since your coach is newer than mine, I'm sure it won't work on mine either. Already ordered, so will have to see it I can stop it.

Well that makes two of us having a sell on HUD.
😂
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 10:38 AM   #72

Forest River Owners Club
OK. Got that cheap Bluetooth OBDII reader. Hooked it to my phone using Torque app from Google Store. There is a lot of information available from my "challenged" ECU. It does support engine RPM, coolant temp, and speed. Too small to drive with. Next step... a cheap android tablet.
Insane938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:13 AM   #73

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane938 View Post
OK. Got that cheap Bluetooth OBDII reader. Hooked it to my phone using Torque app from Google Store. There is a lot of information available from my "challenged" ECU. It does support engine RPM, coolant temp, and speed. Too small to drive with. Next step... a cheap android tablet.
Be careful, My Samsung Android tablet would not work with my connect to the reader with the torque app, yet my android phone does. So just buy a tablet that can be returned if you find you can't get it to work.

Dan
Old 12-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCDevilDog View Post
I have a J1708 6-pin connector and I took a look at the Scangauge D. It has many nice features. Therefore, if I got an adapter for my 6-pin to the OBDII female, then any of the OBDII scanners should work the same as the Scangauge D. Correct??????
This won't work. There are two points to consider in these diesel applications.
1. The electrical interface - voltage levels and connector pin assignments.(can be handled with your adapter)

2. Data format (Protocol). This is different. There is a "Data Packet" that is sent over the can bus. Part of the packet contains a PID (Parameter ID).
Basically it contains the address of who sent it, and what the value is.

The data packet for "RPM" would actually contain different binary data when comparing a ODBII and J1708 packet. So the "scanner" need to know which protocol it is getting. ODBII don't know about heavy trucks.

Regards,

Dan
Old 12-30-2015, 08:28 AM   #75

Forest River Owners Club
Well, I got a 9" KIngpad tablet through Ebay. Works great with my veepeak VP11 reader. Now, I just have to work out where and how to mount it. That will probably be a while as I don't enjoy working at 10 degrees, and I'm too cheap to run the furnace. LOL
Old 06-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #76

Insane938 - My understanding is that OBD1 was designed specifically for California vehicles and is probably not used much any more; OBD2 is more widely used.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #77

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
Insane938 - My understanding is that OBD1 was designed specifically for California vehicles and is probably not used much any more; OBD2 is more widely used.
peggwn;
As far as I can tell, that is absolutely true. It was, however adopted nationally. In 1999 (in my understanding), ODBII was the law. However, this covered only cars and light trucks. The Ford F53, and the GM Workhorse chassis were considered to be heavy duty trucks, and were exempt from this regulation, (although some did have it installed), until either 2005 or 2008, depending on which website you cite. OBDII has many times the available information compared to the older OBDI spec.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:04 AM   #78

Thanks, Insane938, for the further clarification. When our coach gets back from the shop (for brakes) I'll be checking her out for the ODBII location. I would like to get a Bluetooth version and utilize an iPad we don't used otherwise. Can you enlighten us as to the availability of codes and solutions available for us F53 and especially Workhorse chassis?
Old 06-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #79

Does anyone know if any of the manufacturers of the older chassis provide any information about what data exactly is available using an OBDII? We have a 2000 Workhorse P=32 (see signature) and I'd rather not invest a lot of time and energy trying to figure that out. Thanks, all.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:45 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
Does anyone know if any of the manufacturers of the older chassis provide any information about what data exactly is available using an OBDII? We have a 2000 Workhorse P=32 (see signature) and I'd rather not invest a lot of time and energy trying to figure that out. Thanks, all.
You can buy a cheap OBDII Reader (like $12) that will transmit to your phone. For example I have one that stays plugged in to the OBDII and I use the Torque app (free) on my phone. It will run a report that shows what data it will display. Not perfect though, I have yet to figure out to display transmission temp on my P32 chassis.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #81

I'd give a "heads up" display a shot. Can not be any worst than trying to read gauges you can't see. I had a 2010 Chager that had gauges that were black on white. Very easy to read. Tried finding ford gauges to MH that were black on white, either I can't find them or unavailable. Just to reduce the glare would be a major improvement . Window tints doesn't work since it throws a double image, dash cover help little since it reduces the shine off the top of the dash. If there is a solution to this problem, I'd sure like to know it.
olddog49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #82

I have seen a non-reflective sheet (at least I believe that is what it is) simply applies to a windshield to enhance the HUD's display. BTW, the double image is caused by the integral lamination in the windshield; the reflective sheet prevents the dual images.