Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Heads up display?

I have searched these forums every way I can think of, and I can find no discussions anywhere about aftermarket head up displays in a motorhome, If I have missed it, please point me in the right direction,
When driving my motorhome, neither the speedometer nor the tach are visible through the steering wheel. in any position without a lot of eye-time away from the road, and twisting and turning in the driver's seat. I figure that I cannot be the only one having this problem. I have looked at the Garmin information, but I don't think it will solve my problem. Number one because I don't want my phone turned on the whole time, and, secondly, GPS speeds are notoriously wrong in certain areas.
I am leaning toward one of the OBDII add on units, but can find no information on whether they have been used on a class A with its huge windshield and sloped dash.
Hoping someone out there has done this, or tried it, and will let me know their opinion.
Thanks in advance.
Charley
Insane938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #2

I use the Torque App on an old Galaxy 3 with an OBD II adapter and it works great. Only thing I haven't figured out to display properly is transmission temp. Not a heads up display, but I'm happy with it.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The ScanGuage II I had in my '11 Bounder was mounted on top of the gauges in easy eyesight. It has 30+ internal gauges, you can program to your liking. $150. It is now in my car.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #4

In my opinion heads-up-display put in cars is another tech gimmick which has little value and increases distraction to already overloaded drivers. HUD was developed for use in aircraft, particularly military, to give the pilot flight and weapon systems parameters in ready view during flight. Many hours of training are dedicated to the use of these systems. Auto manufacturers throw some tech gimmick in and wash their hands of the often tragic results.

If a speedometer or other critical gauge is not visible while driving then a buyer should NOT buy that vehicle. GPS accurately displays vehicle speed. The installed speedometers are usually off by a few MPH.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
drwicks,
Thanks for the comment, but there are confirmed spots all over the US and Canada where GPS signals are blocked or grayed, therefore making a GPS speedometer worthless. Head up displays do not have to be placed where they interfere with driving. Just for information, I was a RIO in the Airforce. We used HUDs from day 1. I. nor my pilot had any learning curve getting used to them. AF HUDs float way out in space. You can see right through them. You can tune them in or out as needed.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
I use the Torque App on an old Galaxy 3 with an OBD II adapter and it works great. Only thing I haven't figured out to display properly is transmission temp. Not a heads up display, but I'm happy with it.
Thanks, but ther again you are relying on a phone, and I really don't want to do that.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
The ScanGuage II I had in my '11 Bounder was mounted on top of the gauges in easy eyesight. It has 30+ internal gauges, you can program to your liking. $150. It is now in my car.
Probably great for you, but as I get older, my eyes don't change focus as quickly, which is why I thought about a HUD. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
The HUD in my 2011 camaro was great. I miss it. Not a distraction at all.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #9

We had hud in a Nissan Maxima and loved it. Wish it was in all cars. MUCH SAFER than looking down at the speedometer, your eyes never leave the road!
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks montyhp and 89sandman for the replies. I am sure I would like a hud, I'm just worried if they could be seen clearly in a MH due to the distance to the windshield, and the depth of the dashboard. Was just hoping to connect with someone that had done it so I wouldn't have to fork out the $ if it didn't work. DW would be on my assets for quite some time for "wasting money". I'm sure you know what I mean.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I too would love to have a HUD in my mh. I once had a '93 Pontiac SSEI that was equipped with one and it was a perfect alternative to dashboard instruments.

Also, FWIW, there is a common misconception on the name of this device. The title and the reply by "drwwicks" both stipulate that it is a "heads" up display. Heads (plural) indicates you have more than one head. The correct word usage of this is: "Head" up Display...meaning "one" head.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
I too would love to have a HUD in my mh. I once had a '93 Pontiac SSEI that was equipped with one and it was a perfect alternative to dashboard instruments.

Also, FWIW, there is a common misconception on the name of this device. The title and the reply by "drwwicks" both stipulate that it is a "heads" up display. Heads (plural) indicates you have more than one head. The correct word usage of this is: "Head" up Display...meaning "one" head.

Ron
This is what you have to offer, misinformation. Per Wikipedia
A head-up display or heads-up display[1]—also known as a HUD—is any transparent display that presents data without requiring users to look away from their usual viewpoints.

I have HUD on my Vette and it's great. I don't see it working very well on a MH as the windshield is too far away. You need to drive with the traffic and not worry so much about your speed, use cruise control. I can tell if I'm driving too fast without a speedo.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Rusty Years
I can understand your statement when there is traffic. When there is no traffic for long stretches. and especially at night, my foot gets heavier. If you have ever driven a v10 in hilly country, you know cruise control is out of the question. It would be nice to just glance at a hud and know everything is ok. But, I too am afraid it might be too far for a Hud to project. I can't seem to find any information on the distance to the windshield and size of the projection.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:59 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Yes lanerd, the official term is "head up display". However, throughout the internet and other forums, people, including the aforementioned Wikipedia, have habitually referred to it as "heads up display". Hence my use of the word.