Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
Gemini5362, so you are saying that I can be rude to your son since he drives a truck? I always fill at truck stops and I pull forward so that I am not holding the trucks up. They are on the clock, I am not. I certainly hope that I never get behind you at the fuel pumps.
Steve
You can be rude to my son. He does not own the pumps at all. Second depending of course on the company but my son is not on the clock at all when he is at the pumps. He gets paid by the mile so when he is fueling he is not getting paid. The argument might be made that the longer he spends fueling the shorter time that day he has to drive more miles. But that is part of life. Just like the hourly guy in a factory that is caught in a traffic jam. IF he gets to work two hours late he only has 6 hours left of his shift to work. LIfe happens.

Yes it is funny the idea of pulling forward being considered a drive off. I considered from the original post that the driver did more than just pull forward to the lines where you pull up and wait. Since he blocked the access to service bays. My comment was almost as funny as a post warning everyone about a bad truck stop because a customer yelled at your spouse while you were there.

Relaxe guys I almost always use one truck stop where I have a credit card that allows me to do the entire fill up with only one swipe instead of the
multiple 75.00 swipes. I only use them rarely. Usually if I can I use Walmart where I go to the cashier and have them put 500.00 on the card then I fill up and I do not see many semi trailer trucks waiting behind me to fill up at Walmart. You will not have to worry about being behind me except very rarely. Of course you will have to wait for the semi driver that has had problems with getting his payment in for his truck and is in with the cashier getting it straightened out. Not like I have had to wait for that several times at the truck stop chain I do use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Pulling forward after fueling at a truck stop with areas designated for this purpose is one thing. Pulling forward and blocking a drive way to another facility is some thing different.

Sorry, I agree with the truck driver on this one.

BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #17

Guess I should have worded my original comment different. What is worse at a truck stop, pulling forward making room for the trucker that was pulling in while I was in paying/retreiving my credit card and making a trucker seeking service to wait a few minutes while a very slow incompetent clerk (and they always seem to put the slowest ones as the truck cashiers) finished with me or staying put while paying and making the incoming trucker to wait?
I knew afterwards that I did the wrong thing but not sure just what would have been the correct move as I didn't notice pulling forward blocked the end service bay. A Goodyear tire service truck had just left one of the other bays and still had plenty of room to leave along in front of all the bays. As they say, 20/20 hindsight is always the best. I know it wasn't the station owner's fault or responsibility for the situation but I just don't want to be caught like that there again. I have a very thin skin and don't like causing problems.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #18

I usually fill up at the truck lanes and try to be considerate. If I do hold someone up an apologetic smile goes a long way. I have never had any unpleasantness. I fuel and get out of the way as quickly as I can. I really prefer Pilot/FlyingJ since I can use my card to pay at the pump. Otherwise I prefer to use a credit card, even if I have to swipe several times.
Aggressive insistence on rights and hostility do not get you very far.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Why be courteous to the truck drivers. They do not own that facility. .
Because it's the right thing to do. I don't care who owns the facility.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Hey, what ev!

Did a Loves in Benson AZ. Truck lanes waaaaay backed up. Went to the front where the cars are with my 42. No troubles. Pulled right up and did 2 swipes at $125 each at $3.66 while the RVs in the truck lanes waaaaited to pay $3.79 at the same station.

Life is good!

And heads up at the Benson Walmart. RVs cannot overnight, which makes me no nevermind. I'm a camper guy
Most stations in AZ have two prices for diesel fuel. One for semi's that has a higher road tax and one for light duty. (less than 10,000# vehicles) Technically, the station was supposed to collect the extra tax from you, but very few will.

We spend six months in Benson. Great little town. In the country, but only 40 minutes from Tucson.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Moe,

Unless you're a trucker, or have specific member cards, because of the high dollar value (I suppose) most truck stops have you to pay inside. My wife generally takes our card inside and I pump as soon as authorized. Most fill-ups are in the $200 to $300 range for me.

Pumps at many stations such as HESS cut off at $75.00 "pay-at-the-pump". Wife takes card in to store to expedite the process.

cheers,
Joopy
Consider getting an RV card from Pilot/Flying J. I use the truck lanes, swipe the RV card and that allows me to pump all the fuel I want. I then pull up out of the way and go inside to pay. The card also gives you a small discount off the posted price. Even more discount if you pay cash. We have never had a problem. Most of the time the trucker in the next lane compliments us on our rig and says something about "someday".

Considering an earlier post, pulling up out of the way is just common courtesy, you know, the kind you learn as a child? No cashier or security guard at any truck stop would consider it a drive off. What an incredibly ignorant statement!

Don
Old 03-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Guess I should have worded my original comment different. What is worse at a truck stop, pulling forward making room for the trucker that was pulling in while I was in paying/retreiving my credit card and making a trucker seeking service to wait a few minutes while a very slow incompetent clerk (and they always seem to put the slowest ones as the truck cashiers) finished with me or staying put while paying and making the incoming trucker to wait?
I knew afterwards that I did the wrong thing but not sure just what would have been the correct move as I didn't notice pulling forward blocked the end service bay. A Goodyear tire service truck had just left one of the other bays and still had plenty of room to leave along in front of all the bays. As they say, 20/20 hindsight is always the best. I know it wasn't the station owner's fault or responsibility for the situation but I just don't want to be caught like that there again. I have a very thin skin and don't like causing problems.
I do not think you did anything wrong. Yes there are slow clerks that is a part of life. The truck driver did something wrong when he spoke to your wife. He can wait until the way is clear just like the rest of us. Where I buy fuel for my diesel pickup only has one diesel pump. I dislike it when someone pulls into that row of pumps in front of me to buy gasoline when there are other gasoline pumps available. I do not get out of my truck and say something to them for making me wait when I did not have to. I just wait my turn and then get my diesel. I said this before and I will repeat it. That driver does not own those pumps nor does he own that service bay. He can wait his turn just like everyone else has to. What the driver did was wrong I just disagreed with your posting about the station being the problem.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:13 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Because it's the right thing to do. I don't care who owns the facility.

Rick
I agree being courteous is the right thing to do. I just don't agree we have to move out of the way so that truck drivers will not be inconvenienced. It is not that uncommon to see drivers in at the cash register getting whatever paper work then need to sign for the fuel to be paid. They then walk out to their trucks at the pump and leave. I agree there are truck stops that have a designated waiting area to pull up after fueling while you go pay. Not all truck stops have those and not all drivers do that.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:21 PM   #24

Since I used to drive a Freightliner and learned the true trucker's etiquette I will continue to do the same with my motorhome. I would never buy my diesel at Walmart as they probably don't sell a ton of it and there is a good chance that the tank will have water and contaminants in it. I buy only from busy truck stops where the fuel is constantly being replenished. (just my choice). Gemini, have fun with your motorhome and no I won't be rude to your son. I have nothing but respect for the road warriors that drive the freight that we all use. Tell our son to be safe out there.
Steve
Old 03-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Since I used to drive a Freightliner and learned the true trucker's etiquette I will continue to do the same with my motorhome. I would never buy my diesel at Walmart as they probably don't sell a ton of it and there is a good chance that the tank will have water and contaminants in it. I buy only from busy truck stops where the fuel is constantly being replenished. (just my choice). Gemini, have fun with your motorhome and no I won't be rude to your son. I have nothing but respect for the road warriors that drive the freight that we all use. Tell our son to be safe out there.
Steve
Don't eliminate Murphy's for buying diesel. I buy diesel at my local Murphy's for 2 reasons, it's the lowest price nearby, and the local school bus's fuel there for the same reason. I've never gotten bad fuel from Murphy's. (it is not owned by WM, they lease WM property)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #26
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I was a young man I drove tractor trailer for several years. I always tell my DW that those guys are out there busting their butts making a living and we are retired on vacation. I try to get out of their way as best I can.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #27

Cooperhawk, I think the same way. I try to stay out of the way of someone working to make a living.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:04 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Steve
As another poster pointed out when I said Walmart that was incorrect I meant Murphys they just have their pumps on Walmart Property and take Walmart credit cards Not sure what the relationship is. I do not know about anywhere else ,but in my area Murphys actually does sell tons of diesel. They are quite a bit cheaper than the local Truck stop and if you use a Walmart Credit Card they knock 5 cents per gallon off of that. They are not very convenient for Semi Trailer trucks to get to but I see a lot of people like me with Diesel Pickups filling up there and Dump Trucks that kind of thing. It is a bit more awkward to get into it with my MH but it is not too bad and what we do is keep the Motor Home loaded and ready to go at all times. When we leave on a trip I stop at Walmart to fill up with Diesel the DW drives the toad to Walmart and gets Groceries. Stuff like milk, eggs, sodas etc that we do not keep in the MH all of the time. We meet in the Parking lot and while she is putting away groceries I hook up the Toad and we are ready to go.