Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #1

Heads-up on Oklahoma truck stop

This is just a warning for any diesel users traveling Interstate 244/Highway 412 through Tulsa, Oklahoma. On the far east side of Tulsa is a Sinclair truck stop across the street from the Cummins dealer and the Visitors Center. I had always been taught/told/instructed to always pull forward from the diesel truck pump just as soon as through filling, out of courtesy to the truckers, before going in to pay. This I did since there were only about 5 pumps, but while waiting inside for 3-4 minutes for the ever-so-slow clerk to swipe my credit card the wife got hollared at twice by a trucker who wanted to get his rig into one of the service stalls, which I didn't realize anyone pulling forward would be blocking access. So if you fuel up there just don't pull forward. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. We travel through there every couple of months or so and I don't think we'll be using their accomodations again. Too much hassel.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 09:19 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
This is just a warning for any diesel users traveling Interstate 244/Highway 412 through Tulsa, Oklahoma. On the far east side of Tulsa is a Sinclair truck stop across the street from the Cummins dealer and the Visitors Center. I had always been taught/told/instructed to always pull forward from the diesel truck pump just as soon as through filling, out of courtesy to the truckers, before going in to pay. This I did since there were only about 5 pumps, but while waiting inside for 3-4 minutes for the ever-so-slow clerk to swipe my credit card the wife got hollared at twice by a trucker who wanted to get his rig into one of the service stalls, which I didn't realize anyone pulling forward would be blocking access. So if you fuel up there just don't pull forward. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. We travel through there every couple of months or so and I don't think we'll be using their accomodations again. Too much hassel.
Truck drivers are people too don't let one driver get to you.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
You are gonna make the business owner pay for the rudeness of another customer??
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #4

Fueling at a truck stop is almost always a hassle. Some places have islands for motorhomes which make it less of a problem. But there is always someone behind you waiting to fuel up. It's part of the process. I try to get out of the way ASAP. Sometimes I have he DW go in with the credit card while I move the coach out of the way. Other times nothing works.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:30 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Don't you people have pay-at-the-pump card readers there? Had them here since 1995.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
....Fueling at a truck stop is almost always a hassle.....
Heartily disagree. We hit the road two years ago, fuel exclusively at truck stops in the truck lanes, and have had no issues at all. Just lucky I guess...
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBelly View Post
Don't you people have pay-at-the-pump card readers there? Had them here since 1995.
Moe,

Unless you're a trucker, or have specific member cards, because of the high dollar value (I suppose) most truck stops have you to pay inside. My wife generally takes our card inside and I pump as soon as authorized. Most fill-ups are in the $200 to $300 range for me.

Pumps at many stations such as HESS cut off at $75.00 "pay-at-the-pump". Wife takes card in to store to expedite the process.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 03-26-2014, 10:16 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Technically pulling up from the pumps could be construed as a drive off and have a police officer come yell at you. I stay where I am and go pay. Usually I use the card reader and pay but if it is somewhere that I am paying cash I stay there and pay. Why be courteous to the truck drivers. They do not own that facility. Obviously the one that yelled at your wife did not deserve courtesy. There are a lot of great truck drivers out there. My son drives a truck. I also cannot remember how many times I have seen drivers on a local two lane road pass cars with cars coming or in a curve knowing that if another car is coming the car they are passing is going to go into a ditch rather than get hit by the truck coming into the lane. ( I have been one of those drivers several times.) You are every bit as much of a customer as any driver. You complete your business before you clear the pump.

Why are you blaming the truck stop. They did not tell you to pull forward before paying. They did not tell you where to stop when you did pull forward. Unless it was a driver that was working for them they did not yell at your wife. That would have been one of those truck drivers you are worried about being courteous to.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Moe,

Unless you're a trucker, or have specific member cards, because of the high dollar value (I suppose) most truck stops have you to pay inside. My wife generally takes our card inside and I pump as soon as authorized. Most fill-ups are in the $200 to $300 range for me.

Pumps at many stations such as HESS cut off at $75.00 "pay-at-the-pump". Wife takes card in to store to expedite the process.

cheers,
Joopy
Yeah, my comment was tongue-in-cheek. I always come up against the $75 limit and have to insert my card again. PITA but it beats standing in line at the counter.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Technically pulling up from the pumps could be construed as a drive off and have a police officer come yell at you. I stay where I am and go pay. Usually I use the card reader and pay but if it is somewhere that I am paying cash I stay there and pay. Why be courteous to the truck drivers. They do not own that facility. Obviously the one that yelled at your wife did not deserve courtesy. There are a lot of great truck drivers out there. My son drives a truck. I also cannot remember how many times I have seen drivers on a local two lane road pass cars with cars coming or in a curve knowing that if another car is coming the car they are passing is going to go into a ditch rather than get hit by the truck coming into the lane. ( I have been one of those drivers several times.) You are every bit as much of a customer as any driver. You complete your business before you clear the pump. Why are you blaming the truck stop. They did not tell you to pull forward before paying. They did not tell you where to stop when you did pull forward. Unless it was a driver that was working for them they did not yell at your wife. That would have been one of those truck drivers you are worried about being courteous to.
Lol , now that's funny. I really doubt that pulling forward after fueling would be construed as driving off by the cashier. It's a very common practice and the right thing to do in most cases.
If you look at the many signs around a truck stop fuel island you'll probably find one that says "please pull forward after fueling".
Old 03-26-2014, 11:11 PM   #11

Hey, what ev!

Did a Loves in Benson AZ. Truck lanes waaaaay backed up. Went to the front where the cars are with my 42. No troubles. Pulled right up and did 2 swipes at $125 each at $3.66 while the RVs in the truck lanes waaaaited to pay $3.79 at the same station.

Life is good!

And heads up at the Benson Walmart. RVs cannot overnight, which makes me no nevermind. I'm a camper guy

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:46 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Technically pulling up from the pumps could be construed as a drive off and have a police officer come yell at you. I stay where I am and go pay. .... You complete your business before you clear the pump.........

Why are you blaming the truck stop. They did not tell you to pull forward before paying. They did not tell you where to stop when you did pull forward. ......
I always fuel at large truck plazas, usually Pilot/Flying J or Loves. It is a universal practice to pull forward when done fueling so the rig behind you can commence fueling while you go in to pay, get coffee, etc. They have even painted a line marking the stopping point so there will be enough room behind you.

If you insist on completing your business before clearing the pump, its understandable that some truckers might get testy. The fact is that the operator does ask that you pull forward, and does tell you how far to pull up. Sorry, but in my experience, you are wrong on several counts.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #13

Gemini5362, so you are saying that I can be rude to your son since he drives a truck? I always fill at truck stops and I pull forward so that I am not holding the trucks up. They are on the clock, I am not. I certainly hope that I never get behind you at the fuel pumps.
Steve
Old 03-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Slemnah, I agree wholeheartedly, a quick google search for Truck Stop Etiquette will tell you rule number one is to pull forward so you allow the driver behind you to begin fueling. Usually the clerk doesn't clear the pump to allow the next driver to fuel until you have paid, but it does save time and to me it is a basic courtesy to anyone. It is very frustrating to me when others do not pull forward at the fuel island also.

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote