Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #1

Heat

Do I have this right when you walk in the motorhome and hit the home switch the heat the gas heat will come on automatically, and heat to within 4° of the gas heat and then turn over to the heatpump . If you have the generator on then it will charge the home batteries while the heat is on is that correct

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
No idea. What kind of coach? What is a "home" switch? What kind of thermostat? What kind of heating system for a heat pump?

We are all ready to help but need info.

Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't know about the home switch in the motorhome. I thought home is where I park it.

On my coach I can turn the thermostat past heat pump to gas heat and if I have electric (geny or shore) both the gas furnace and the heat pump will turn on. Gas heat will shut off when it reaches the desired temp and the heat pump will keep it there without having the gas come back on. It's like 4 deg for gas and 2 deg for heat pump, IIRC.

After initial warming, I usually turn off the gas heat and run only the heat pump. While it is automatic, I like to fiddle with the switches.
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #4

I keep reading about this "must be within 4* of temperature for the heat pump to come on, have never experienced that with any of my RV's. We have returned to our RV, the interior temperature was ~50*, turn on the heat pumps to 75*, and they run normally. The only time the LP furnace comes on is when the outside temperature drops to ~34*F, and that is an automatic function of the lead heat pump communicating with the thermostat, then, only after the heat pump cycles through at least one defrost cycle.
Both our 2005 Grand Junction 5er, and our 2000 MH perform that same way.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #5

On our previous Allegro 36LA the gas furnace would come on if the thermostat read greater than about 4 degrees below the set point. This is what you want to to happen in case of a cold snap and the heat pumps cant keep up. To preven the gas heat from kicking on just bump the Tstat up a couples of degrees at a time.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Cat

Here is a explanation from Coleman Aircel.
Heat Pump Lockout
If the system has both gas heat, (LP furnace or hydronic heat) and electric heat,(electric strip heat or heatpump) appliances installed in the same zone, then the system will automatically switch from Heat Electric to Gas Heat if the electric heat can not satisfy the desired setpoint temperature. Because of the nature of the electric heating systems, they tend to be less effective the lower the outside temperature. Therefore, at low temperatures, your electric strip heat or heatpump may not be able to satisfy the setpoint. The system switches from Heat Elec to Gas Heat when the actual zone room temperature is five degrees or more below the desired setpoint temperature. If this happens three times in a row, the electric heat is locked out for two hours and the gas heat is the primary heat source. When this happens, the LCD will continue to display Elec but the word Gas will flash on the LCD to alert the user that the electric heat source is locked out. See table below for an example of how the heatpump lockout system works.
Example of Electric Heat Operation to call for Backup Heating
Setpoint Indoor Operation Temp.
69 Electric Heat turns on (Primary Heat Source) (“ELEC” is displaying on T’stat)
71 Electric Heat turns off (Thermostat satisfied)
69 Electric Heat turns on (“ELEC” displaying on T’stat)
65 Gas Heat turns on (“ELEC” is displayed & “GAS” is flashing on T’stat) (Electric
Heat unable to satisfy Thermostat) (First strike for backup heat counter)
71 Electric Heat & Gas Heat turn off (Thermostat satisfied)
69 Electric Heat turns on (“ELEC” is displaying on T’stat)
65 Gas Heat turns on (“ELEC” is displayed & “GAS” is flashing on T’stat) (Electric Heat again unable to satisfy T’stat) (Second strike for backup heat counter)
11 8
70 70+
Nothing is operating
Old 11-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #7

Like I said, none I've ever owned worked that way Cat. The do switch after they cycle through a freeze-up/defrost procedure a time or two. The first ones I bought new with the 5er, the present basement air I bought used (2000) model year.
They may not conform to what others do, but they work great.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Cat

I'm sure they change, over models and years. Mine is 07 with Heat pumps and heat strips. And I copied and pasted from the thermostat manual, I had asked the tech people at Airxcel- Rvp (Coleman) and they explained it to me they way the previously attached manual says. Not sure when they started doing that way or if they've stopped doing that way. But that's the way mine works.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Sitting here right now in 30 degree weather with setting on heat pumps. The propane heater is now coming on since I set the temp to 70. I have an 2009 with Coleman Air excel units. Works just as Cat described.

Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote