Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #1

Heat from shower skylight

Good morning all:
It's heating up here in the south and a lot of heat comes in from the skylight over shower. Just wondering if anyone has come up with a way to cover this so that it looks ok.
thanks!
msRiverQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM   #2

I bought a water proof window shade in white and hung it so to cover the opening. Works great. I even put insulation between shade and sky lite in winter along with insulation pillows in over head vents.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Heat from shower skylight

I bought beige colored blackout material and fastened it to the skylight with Velcro. It did the job.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1466170631.616906.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	130445

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was up on the roof last week doing a re-coating job. My skylight is discolored. I'm entertaining the thought of using white automotive trim paint and just painting it.

On our upcoming trip, I'll place something over the inside to block the light and see if we really need the light or not..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #5

Thanks ALL

Will start looking for material!
msRiverQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:06 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up Shower-Vent Covers

I painted the shower & vent covers with white fiberglass marine paint about three years ago. I never used the skylight or covers for light anyway.

It also looks clean when on the roof instead of discolored. Light still comes through a little.
DeBUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #7

I used reflective foil insulation. It's plastic and is for attic's but can be cut to fit shower and bath vent. Much like the foil product for windshields and that's another one you might use. I cut down two small expansion curtain rods to put in the vent. The foil easily slips up on top of the rods and can be removed when you need the vent fan.
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
I remember there was a pillow sold at Camping World that you push up into the recess. Don't know if they sell this anymore.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:17 AM   #9

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Using the silver foil window insulation, cut it to size and hold it in place with small Velcro tabs. I have used this in several different rv's and it has reduced the heat coming through the skylight tremendously.

Safe travels...........
RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:26 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
I used reflective foil insulation. It's plastic and is for attic's but can be cut to fit shower and bath vent. Much like the foil product for windshields and that's another one you might use. I cut down two small expansion curtain rods to put in the vent. The foil easily slips up on top of the rods and can be removed when you need the vent fan.
Did the same. Used snaps to hold it in place and easy to take out. Besides heat helps cut down the morning light pollution when I want to sleep in. I also have it in the windows of the bedroom for both summer heat, winter cold and light.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #11
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I was up on the roof last week doing a re-coating job. My skylight is discolored. I'm entertaining the thought of using white automotive trim paint and just painting it.

This is what I did to cut down on the heat and it works very well. There is plenty of light coming through.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Reflectix cut to fit the opening.

We use two short spring loaded drapery rods from Walmart to hold it in place.

Makes the area darker for late risers and cuts the heat.

Easily removed when shower is in use, but probably not necessary to remove for that purpose.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I cut a piece of the Reflectix foil insulation to fit up in the shower skylight. I pushed it up against the plastic and used duct tape around the bottom edge to keep it from slipping back down. Our coach had a snap-on cover for the skylight so we leave it on all the time, hiding the Reflectix! It made a HUGE difference!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #14

I have not noticed any heat coming from the shower skylight. Temperature in the binjo is the same as other areas of the coach except the salon which gets pretty hot when the sun is beating a side or window.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, light, shower