Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
sgtjoe's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,809
Heat Gun or 3m Wheel

I'm thinking of having my old decals removed and new ones installed. Will the 3m wheel eraser damage the Gel coating?? The place I'm looking at uses the wheel to remove the old decals and I was just wondering if the wheel could damage the Gel coating and fiberglass on my MH??
__________________

__________________
Joe & Angie
Shih Tzu's Cookie & Rocky
2001 Tradewinds 7390 2011 CRV EX-L Navi w/ RoadMaster FuseMaster
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
Member
 
Steve1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 63
The decals are probably installed before the gelcoat is applied, so guess you would damage gelcoat. You may want to test an inconspicuous area with the wheel.
__________________

__________________
Steve1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
ChasA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 1,857
Now there's an erroneous answer. Gelcoat is the second thing sprayed into a mould, the first is a release agent. Fiberglass assemblies are built from the outside to inside. After the unit is built, the decals are applied.
__________________
2010 Winnebago Journey Express 34Y
2010 Freightliner XCS (mfd 9/'09)
'07 Saturn Vue V6
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:34 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1313 View Post
The decals are probably installed before the gelcoat is applied, so guess you would damage gelcoat. You may want to test an inconspicuous area with the wheel.
That is not how fiberglass components are made.
They are made bg spraying (or hand laid) into a mold.
The gel coat goes on first, then followed by fiberglass shot through a chopper gun.
Decals are put on after the coach is finished.

3m wheel is is probably best if used properly. Heat gun is too easy to damage the fiberclass.
Hair dryer should be ok.

Regards,
Dan
__________________
2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2014 Jeep Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -South Orange County Ca.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
Junior Member


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 28
Check Amazon for wheels less expensive than 3m. (AES Industries)
__________________
fredtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ronspradley's Avatar


 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 1,628
My decals were very very cracked and faded. I tried the 3M wheel on a drill and it was very slow. Then I tried 3M - 7517 LASR DISC LG AREA REMOVAL. Expensive but effective. Use with a variable speed buffer/polisher.

Best of luck.

ronspradley
__________________
1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
kustom's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: costa rica / river ranch fl.
Posts: 816
going to watch this
__________________
kustom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:53 PM   #8
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,049
We just paid for a professional decal removal and detail.

They used a mix of straight blade razor to gently remove the most supple decals (like using a putty knife) peeling by hand, then they added a heat gun with the straight razor on the less supple decals, then used an eraser wheel for the most stubborn decals.

The eraser wheel did leave some marks on 2 areas of the fender skirt skins, but only visible if looking for it.

When using the heat gun, the foreman was constantly reminding the crew to keep the gun moving, to avoid too much heat in any one area = preventing delamination of the fiberglass and wall.

The decal removal was the largest part of the job, but the glue residue removal was just as important and was the main job of 1 of the 3 man crew. If missed, any leftover adhesive would prompty collect everything from dirty fingerprints to dust in the wind.

The next step was the detailing - started with a complete cleaning with a pressure wash then complete handwash using BarKeeper's Friend powder cleaner and rinse.

The last step was a total wipedown with 4 layers of a liquid wax.

We were so happy with the job that we had them come back later for a recaulking of all external seams and aluminum wheel polish.

The RV looks almost new in all-white (signature photo needs to be updated). We know all white is not for everyone, but I am not willing to ever reapply decals and a paint job requires we design something to our taste...'cuz the GIANT swoops and loops that are SO COMMON, are just not to our liking.

Best luck
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:21 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
sgtjoe's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
We just paid for a professional decal removal and detail.

They used a mix of straight blade razor to gently remove the most supple decals (like using a putty knife) peeling by hand, then they added a heat gun with the straight razor on the less supple decals, then used an eraser wheel for the most stubborn decals.

The eraser wheel did leave some marks on 2 areas of the fender skirt skins, but only visible if looking for it.

When using the heat gun, the foreman was constantly reminding the crew to keep the gun moving, to avoid too much heat in any one area = preventing delamination of the fiberglass and wall.

The decal removal was the largest part of the job, but the glue residue removal was just as important and was the main job of 1 of the 3 man crew. If missed, any leftover adhesive would prompty collect everything from dirty fingerprints to dust in the wind.

The next step was the detailing - started with a complete cleaning with a pressure wash then complete handwash using BarKeeper's Friend powder cleaner and rinse.

The last step was a total wipedown with 4 layers of a liquid wax.

We were so happy with the job that we had them come back later for a recaulking of all external seams and aluminum wheel polish.

The RV looks almost new in all-white (signature photo needs to be updated). We know all white is not for everyone, but I am not willing to ever reapply decals and a paint job requires we design something to our taste...'cuz the GIANT swoops and loops that are SO COMMON, are just not to our liking.

Best luck
Where did you have it done and how much? Also, our's is white, could you post some pics of what she looks like all white?
__________________
Joe & Angie
Shih Tzu's Cookie & Rocky
2001 Tradewinds 7390 2011 CRV EX-L Navi w/ RoadMaster FuseMaster
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:43 PM   #10
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Where did you have it done and how much? Also, our's is white, could you post some pics of what she looks like all white?
The work was performed on-site by a mobile detailer/RV repair shop in San Diego. $1,950 for all 4 jobs (decals, detail, recaulk, and wheel polish) They have a warehouse shop too, but came to us for the same price. PM if you're interested in more detail about them.

We have not downloaded the photos from our camera yet, but it looks exactly like this (a friends) Outlaw:
OUTLAW Mods and Easy Fixes

Here's a pic from the cell phone...you might be able to see a bit of adhesive residue on the front cap (the crewman was about the turn the corner as he worked around the RV behind the decal removers)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0391cropped.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	106162

Safe travels
__________________

__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heat



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 F53 chassis - 2 Bad Wheel Bearings ??? blublurr Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 72 07-30-2015 10:43 AM
Non-Locking Steering Wheel Issue for Dolly Tow DEHartman Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 34 02-12-2015 03:02 PM
How do you secure your spare tire & wheel? seb1899 iRV2.com General Discussion 7 05-26-2014 08:43 PM
RV Heat pumps Max Hubrich Newmar Owner's Forum 17 02-06-2014 06:43 PM
Oasis heat vents obstructed by slides TwoCorners Newmar Owner's Forum 7 01-22-2014 01:19 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.