Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2017, 11:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashmd454 View Post
thats what it is doing. It has been colder than 40 here lately so I assume that mine is operating normal....that sucks I cannot keep my coach warmer without using up all my gas/propane. I do not understand about the 4degrees thing people are mentioning.
You mean 40 degrees? Heat pump’s extract heat from the air, and below 40 degrees there just isn’t much heat in the air for it to function properly. Works really hard to do so, but just can’t. I suspect that RV heat pumps don’t come with them as std is they tend to use a lot of power and on 30 amp hookups it could be a problem.

Some folks (me) carry a portable heater to help when it’s needed.

The 4 degree difference tells the system to hurry up and get it warm so it runs both.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Will just mention that your basement unit has ducts that feed up the back wall of your coach and than into the ceiling of your coach with vents in ceiling, the bad part some coach's with age and heat on back wall of coach would dry out tape on vent tube and vent would separate.
Not say this is your problem just want you to know that fact, dealers would use their skinnest person in shop and he would some how get in space and retape the vent. If you have a bed on that wall maybe that was the access point under it.
Using the irv2 search engine I gave you, you maybe able to find old threads for your coach and find answers to the problems with vents and their corrections by owners.
Here is a link to get you around irv2.
All the links below may help you with your coach.
Good luck with your problem, try to enjoy the forums and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:28 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Here is an example of the "4 degree" thing. If your room temperature is 60 F and the set your thermostat for 72 degrees (12 degree increase) and turn on the electric heat mode(heat pump) on the thermostat, you will find the gas heat(furnace/floor vents) will run instead. The thermostat is designed to run the system this way as it would be the fastest way of heating up the room by 12 Degrees. If you don't want to use up your LP gas, you can "fool" the system by setting the thermostat only 4 degrees higher, or 64 degrees, then the electric heating (heat pump) system will run, thinking it only has to raise the temp 4 degrees. As the room temp rises to 64 degrees, go to the thermostat and set it up another 4 degrees to 68. When the room reaches 68, adjust the thermostat up to 72 degree. You have then brought the room up 12 degrees using electric heat only and using no LP gas. As others have mentioned, it gets difficult for a heat pump to extract heat out of outside air in colder temps like 40 F. or less. If it's humid outside, the outside heat ex-changer can frost over and the heat pump will shut off and switch to the gas furnace mode. If this happens, you can confirm this by going outside and visually look thru the heat pump grill at the heat ex-changer and it will be covered with white frost. Unlike residential heat pumps, this unit has no defrost mode to clear off the frost, it has to melt off on it's own. If you give the heat pump some time to run like 20 to 30 minutes, it will heat the entire RV front to back and keep it nice and warm as long as the outside temps are 40's and higher. Lower than that, many use portable electric heater(s), we prefer the oil filled ones as they are quiet, no fan.
By the way, as an added note, sometimes when setting the thermostat the first 4 degree setting, this first rush of air from the ceiling vents can drop the room temp by one degree, or to 59 degrees, then the thermostat sees it needs to increase the room temp by 5 degrees so then the LP gas furnace mode will kick in. So I often set the first increment for 3 degrees , or 63 degrees, then after that raise the thermostat by 4 degree increments.
I have found the 2 ton heat pump/AC systems amazing and in 35' RV's like ours, in AC mode you can easily bring your RV's inside temps down to 72 degrees, too cold for us, when it's 95 F outside. When we purchased our 2nd RV, an 08 Dolphin, it had to have a basement AC unit like our 05 Dolphin did.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat