Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #1

Heat Pump

I have a 2005 Fleetwood Expedition with 2 zone heat/ac. Recently when I turn zone 1 onto electric heat mode I noticed the word gas flashes on the thermostat and the only heat that operates is the gas furnace. All other functions in both heat and AC work correctly in both zones. Not sure which is to blame, thermostat or heat pump. Anyone have any ideas ?
expedition1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition1 View Post
I have a 2005 Fleetwood Expedition with 2 zone heat/ac. Recently when I turn zone 1 onto electric heat mode I noticed the word gas flashes on the thermostat and the only heat that operates is the gas furnace. All other functions in both heat and AC work correctly in both zones. Not sure which is to blame, thermostat or heat pump. Anyone have any ideas ?
In my MH if the heat pump is unable to accomplish the temp I have selected or the temp has dropped to a point where it can't accomplish the electrical heat pump task the gas heat will kick in and bring the MH up to the proper temp.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Typically, if the actual room temp is 6 or more degrees below the set temp, the gas furnace kicks on to assist.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #4

What was the outside temperature at the time?
Old 09-16-2014, 03:24 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
What T'stat do you have? It may need reprogramming to activate the heat pump.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:00 AM   #6

Outside temps where in the low 60s. In the past if I turned on the heat pump it would attempt to get it somewhere close to the set tempertare now it wont even begin to start and the gas furnace kicks on from the get go.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am a bit confused when you say you set it at elec heat mode. Electric Heat mode is for A/C units that have an electric heat strip. Heat Pumps do not have an electric heat strip. My 2005 allegro bus has heat pumps the thermostat options are Fan Only, Cool, Heat Pump, Furnace. Obviously yours is different. You mentioned that all other options work ok and you mentioned heat and a/c. Not sure I understand your problem. and If you have electric heat are you sure you have a heat pump. If you have a heat pump and you put it in the mode your heat pump normally comes on does the furnace come on instead in that zone. As other posters here mentioned some thermostats are set up so when the temp is below a certain temp that the heat pumps are not really working ( I think mine is about 30 degrees) it automatically switches to the furnace. If yours is like that then the the thermostat wire that measures temp ( I have heard it is in the heat pump overhead but do not know that for a fact) could be bad. You can test that by going to cool setting the temp for cooler than the outside temperature if the a/c comes on and starts blowing colder then the unit is able to measure temperatures correctly. If that is working it is probably going to be a thermostat problem.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #8

Not sure if it is heat tape or a heat pump. My heat mode says Electric Heat. When in the electric heat mode the furnace now starts where as it never did before , unless the outside temps were close to the temps you stated.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition1 View Post
Not sure if it is heat tape or a heat pump. My heat mode says Electric Heat. When in the electric heat mode the furnace now starts where as it never did before , unless the outside temps were close to the temps you stated.
My thermostat is the TrueAir which says "Gas Heat" and "Elec Heat" and it is definitely a heat pump. It does not have strip heat and only switches to gas in extreme cold.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:20 PM   #10

I don't know how the climate control panel (thermostat) is wired, but if each AC/heat pump unit has a separate cable harness plugged into the panel, you could swap them and see if the problem switches to zone two. If not, then it would indicate it is a heat pump problem on unit one. Maybe you can download the manual for the climate control panel and see how it is wired before pulling it loose.
navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:26 PM   #11

Mine is doing the same thing, but only on the front heat pump, the rear one works fine. They are designed to work down to a certain degree usually around 50 degrees +/-. I had it checked out and it is a bad "thermister" that is located in the actual A/C housing unit. They had to order mine and said that will fix the problem. But you are correct in 60 degree weather you sould be able to set the heat pump to your desired temp, and your gas furnace should not come on. There is a separate setting if you want to use your gas heater.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I am a bit confused when you say you set it at elec heat mode. Electric Heat mode is for A/C units that have an electric heat strip. Heat Pumps do not have an electric heat strip. My 2005 allegro bus has heat pumps the thermostat options are Fan Only, Cool, Heat Pump, Furnace. Obviously yours is different. You mentioned that all other options work ok and you mentioned heat and a/c. Not sure I understand your problem. and If you have electric heat are you sure you have a heat pump. If you have a heat pump and you put it in the mode your heat pump normally comes on does the furnace come on instead in that zone. As other posters here mentioned some thermostats are set up so when the temp is below a certain temp that the heat pumps are not really working ( I think mine is about 30 degrees) it automatically switches to the furnace. If yours is like that then the the thermostat wire that measures temp ( I have heard it is in the heat pump overhead but do not know that for a fact) could be bad. You can test that by going to cool setting the temp for cooler than the outside temperature if the a/c comes on and starts blowing colder then the unit is able to measure temperatures correctly. If that is working it is probably going to be a thermostat problem.
If you have a Heatpump system, it is a very good option to have heat strips as well, they energize during the defrost mode and also as emergency heat if temp falls too far below set point.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
HVAC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:43 AM   #13

on my bounder 06 3 degrees difference between inside temp and what you set temp other wise the furnace will come on
dropaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC Bill View Post
If you have a Heatpump system, it is a very good option to have heat strips as well, they energize during the defrost mode and also as emergency heat if temp falls too far below set point.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
Do you know of any models that have heat strips in with the heat pumps. all the ones I found did not have that option.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat pump