Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
JohnBoyToo's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW, Tex-US
Posts: 4,844
In case you didn't know...
with most heat pumps, if it gets too cold the furnace will kick on to supplement the heat pump...

our order of preference is (when on shore power !)
1) electric fireplace
2) electric heat pump
3) electric space heaters
4) propane...

(As a part timer on the last 5'er I NEVER refilled my two 40lb bottles before they bought the 5er back 2 years later )
__________________

__________________
'11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler JKU. History.. 5'ers: 13 Redwood 38gk, 11 MVP Destiny, Open Range TT, popups, vans, tents...
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
I'd not sweat the 'wear and tear' issue......

Best, cheapest solution is maybe your electric 'fire' in the living room..... running off shore power.

Next, a small 'cube' electric heater..... you could use both. ...
I think you are pretty correct on this. Once the temps get down to the lower 40s, especially at night/bed time, we use the gas furnace set down to about 60* and then use an electric space heater in the bedroom. Last winter it was us and out 2 German Shepherds and we often had to turn the space heater down.

Keeping the rest of the coach at 60* was comfortable enough for moving around and keeping the bathroom just warm enough to not shock Sandee if she needed to use it in the middle of the night.

To be honest, we haven't found a space heater that was sufficient enough to keep the larger living room area comfortable in really cool/cold temps. In milder temps we have used the heat pumps. The only reason is that we wouldn't use the gas furnace in those situations is the noise. Part of the reason we are looking to find a used/new coach in the next year or so to get Oasis.
__________________

__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Starsekr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 340
Workamped in the Pan-handle of West Virginia early Spring of 2014. Electric wasn't metered, so we had a 60 watt light in the water bay at night, and 2 small electric heaters in the main cabin. Slept under a down comforter. We used about 15 gallons of propane in 2 months, mostly cooking and to supplement the electric hot water. Daytimes were in the 50's and nights in the low 20's. We have a Winnie Adventurer 37.
__________________
Starsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:32 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
WillandJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: San Jacinto, CA
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
In case you didn't know...
with most heat pumps, if it gets too cold the furnace will kick on to supplement the heat pump...

our order of preference is (when on shore power !)
1) electric fireplace
2) electric heat pump
3) electric space heaters
4) propane...

(As a part timer on the last 5'er I NEVER refilled my two 40lb bottles before they bought the 5er back 2 years later )
I was looking for some sort of preference order with longevity and the least involved maintenance. I am not to partial to space heaters though they are much safer than they use to be but most still warn of not falling asleep with it on....not to mention storing. The closets I will come to one of those is the electric fireplace already installed.


WDK
__________________
WillandJane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: The hilly part of Texas
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
.....not right now....I am staying at the Golden Village/Palms in Hemet California....they meter and charge for your electric use there so I am certainly paying for what I use....we had one cold morning but it will be in the 100's again this weekend.


Thanks for the calculations......I have always leaned more to wear and tear than cost of usage because ultimately when it breaks down you have to add that to the cost of usage as well but I want to make it last as long as possible as there is the point of having to do without.


WDK
Ahh.... That changes the equation....since you are in a temperate climate, the advantage likely goes to a heat pump. The rule of thumb is that resistance heaters, like a cube or strip heater add on to an AC, produce 1 Unit of heat for 1 Unit of energy (1:1). A modern high efficiency HP 2.5 to 3+ units of heat per unit of energy. Their efficiency ramps down to 1:1 as the ambient temperature nears 35F. They still produce heat but need assistance below 40s. So...if you are looking at $$$$ savings the heat pump is the hot tip. Yes, it may run for long periods maybe all day....but it is the most efficient and cost saving heat source.

While probably not a good comparison but domestic heat pumps can run for years with little more than routine checks. They are sealed systems and the only moving parts are the electric motors and the compressor...today a scroll that that has only one moving part. Unless there are leaks in the coils or pipes they can run 20-25 years. The real issue with older units, IMHO, is that a servicible unit becomes uneconomical to repair due to the cost of refrehing the old technology "Freon."
__________________
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
WillandJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: San Jacinto, CA
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
Ahh.... That changes the equation....since you are in a temperate climate, the advantage likely goes to a heat pump. The rule of thumb is that resistance heaters, like a cube or strip heater add on to an AC, produce 1 Unit of heat for 1 Unit of energy (1:1). A modern high efficiency HP 2.5 to 3+ units of heat per unit of energy. Their efficiency ramps down to 1:1 as the ambient temperature nears 35F. They still produce heat but need assistance below 40s. So...if you are looking at $$$$ savings the heat pump is the hot tip. Yes, it may run for long periods maybe all day....but it is the most efficient and cost saving heat source.

While probably not a good comparison but domestic heat pumps can run for years with little more than routine checks. They are sealed systems and the only moving parts are the electric motors and the compressor...today a scroll that that has only one moving part. Unless there are leaks in the coils or pipes they can run 20-25 years. The real issue with older units, IMHO, is that a servicible unit becomes uneconomical to repair due to the cost of refrehing the old technology "Freon."
....cool beans, ideally our plan is to be above the 40 when the south is frying and below the 40 when the north is shoveling snow and the heat pump only has to last for about 10 years before we are ready to sell the coach and settle down again.


WDK
__________________
WillandJane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Wobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 232
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned relates to potential freezing temperatures. My heat pumps (actually I have heat strips) will heat the coach but they provide no heat to the tank area, that area is only heated by the LP furnaces. If you are looking at freezing temperatures and are worried about your tanks then, if your rig is set up like mine, you may want to use the LP furnace.
__________________
2005 Airstream 396 XL Land Yacht with Cat 330 C7
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL-R 5th Wheel
Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:09 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Cat320's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
Heat pump only works down to 40 or so.
Yep, no good lower than that.
__________________
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Hit_the_Rhod's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Salvisa, KY
Posts: 2,448
We have a 2001 Newmar Dutch Star. It was ordered originally with two heat pumps on the roof. It still has them, they have never been replaced. Keep the filters clean and the condensate drains free, and plug into campground electricity. . . . .Hard to beat that longevity. Always have the propane for backup if necessary, as well as two space heaters left over from our TT days if they are ever needed. The propane is used for stove, oven, water heater when running on gas and heat. We have a residential refrigerator. The RV gas tank hasn't been filled in three years and is still half full. We use it about 3 months out of the year, about two months in Jan/Feb, but in Florida, but still that is pretty good efficiency for the heat pumps!
__________________
Scot & Laura Kellersberger
Newmar 4 wheel drive Dutch Star 3891, 2005 GMC Canyon. Demco Tow Bar & Baseplate U.S.Army (ret)
1985 - 2006
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
WillandJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: San Jacinto, CA
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
One thing that I haven't seen mentioned relates to potential freezing temperatures. My heat pumps (actually I have heat strips) will heat the coach but they provide no heat to the tank area, that area is only heated by the LP furnaces. If you are looking at freezing temperatures and are worried about your tanks then, if your rig is set up like mine, you may want to use the LP furnace.
I am set up with an all weather package with heating in my wet bay but again if at all possible......I am going to try to stay where temps are 35 degrees and up....and that is to say that if if dips down that low at 2am no problem but I expect it much higher when the sun comes up.

WDK
__________________

__________________
WillandJane is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ace, furnace, heat, heat pump, propane



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AC (heat pump) not heating firedoc RV Systems & Appliances 6 08-09-2015 09:30 AM
Heat Pump Problem CoyoteFlatz Newmar Owner's Forum 4 08-08-2015 01:32 PM
Heat Pump Question allegro1x Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum 13 11-04-2014 05:26 PM
Heat pump question Pops90gt Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum 5 10-13-2014 06:14 PM
Heat Pump not heating prsmith Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 7 02-27-2014 08:44 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.