Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #1

Heat pump servicing

We full time in a 40-foot 2004 Winnebago Vectra. Our basement heat pump is not cooling the way it should and once did. The heat function seems to be fine.
Question: what servicing does a heat pump need to remain efficient? And who does it? The small town/mobile RV techs I've talked to shy away from heat pumps and the residential HVAC guys shy away from RVs.

Who should I go to? We're heading south and the AC will be nice to have.

Dennis and HollyAnn Rogers

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have an owner's manual and/or install manual ? Keep calling and talk to a tech or service person and tell them you have this info.

Hopefully, you just need some more R22 (or whatever) and a filter/dryer replacement.

Call W/I and ask for names of dealers who will do this work, either close by or as you head south. Ask how to download the manuals if you do not have them.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Hopefully, you just need some more R22 (or whatever) and a filter/dryer replacement.
I've never seen a servicable unit on an RV. If the freon has leaked out, the unit needs replacement. Amp draw would be the best way to tell. I can't tell you what it should draw but the manufacturer could. I know a rooftop working normally, draws about 10.5-11.5 amps. The blower draws another 2.7 - 3.3.

It's strange that the heat works but the cooling doesn't. All you do is reverse the flow of freon when you go from heating to cooling.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The winnie basement air is serviceable, but you need to find a trained pro who knows how.
I've also heard that parts are getting scarce, and that winnie doesn't use them anymore.

Never had one, but I bet they are nice and quiet compared to those screaming roof mounted dometic's.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Contact Coleman, the A/C - Heat Pump Manufacturer, and locate one of their field service agents. In the Tacoma, WA area, it is Infinity Coach in Sumner, WA.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #6

Hi. I own a commercial heating an cooling business U should get a 15-20 temp rise between the return air and the supply air this is where I would start be happy to help if u need any more help
Old 10-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #7

Also. All rv units can be serviced. Most don't have service taps but can be added. If u like to call me I can try to talk u threw it. I travel with all my tools and have worked on several units large and small.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

To answer the original question, those basement units generally do not need any preventive maintenance to keep functioning. Perhaps a cleaning of the air intake area if it has become clogged with something, but as long as it heats & cools the 15-20 degrees that Andycamper mentioned, it is good to go.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #9

Not mentioned is to make sure the return air filter is clean. If it hasn't been changed and is clogged it would reduce air flow or worse if the cooling element is clogged and not allowing sufficient air flow.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
To answer the original question, those basement units generally do not need any preventive maintenance to keep functioning. Perhaps a cleaning of the air intake area if it has become clogged with something, but as long as it heats & cools the 15-20 degrees that Andycamper mentioned, it is good to go.
Went to Home Depot and got a spray can of air intake cleaner and could not believe all the black gunk that washed out..
Old 11-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies, folks.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #12

I also have an 04 Vectra. My heater is turning off after a minute or 2 and when I went outside, I noticed that the bottom 1/4 of the condenser was frosted over! Have you had or heard of this problem? If so, whats the fix?
Thanks
Tom
Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikera View Post
basement heat pump is not cooling the way it should and once did.
Very often this is indication of separated air duct between the unit and the roof behind the rear cap. The elbow at the bottom is one area to check (I have re-taped kine a couple of times) and there is also a seam about half way up that you might be able to access through a taillight mount hole if you are lucky. Check for leaks with your hand, a small piece of paper attached to a stick you can move up beside the seam while lying on the ground looking up, OR on a warm day with the unit running, check the temp of the outside of the cap along the duct line to see if there is a cool spot.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahilltk View Post
I also have an 04 Vectra. My heater is turning off after a minute or 2 and when I went outside, I noticed that the bottom 1/4 of the condenser was frosted over! Have you had or heard of this problem? If so, whats the fix?
Outside temp is too cold. ...wait for warmer temps and use lip furnace or portable heater in the meantime. The temp at which it will lock out varies depending on humidity, normally anywhere from around 36 to 42. More humidity = lock out at higher temp.