Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #1

Heat Pumps vs. Electric space heaters

I have searched both of the above titles and haven't found an answer so here is my question.
Has anyone done a cost analysis on what is cheaper to run; the heat pumps or 2 electric heaters.
My heat pumps are good to about 32 degrees but I know that they are expensive to run.
Can I save money by turning them off and running 2 electric heaters to heat my 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ?

Thanks, Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn.Mike View Post
Can I save money by turning them off and running 2 electric heaters to heat my 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ?
Whether you are running your heat pump or electric space heaters don't forget to heat your basement areas using your furnace.

Heat pumps will come on and heat the space and go off. Space heaters on the other hand I have found will run continuously non-stop. Not sure how all of that works out on the electric bill. I might turn down the furnace to 67 and run the electric space heaters just to help out the furnace a bit and save LP. If you need to run the furnace it's probably too cold to run the heat pumps.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #3

I think the heat pump is more efficient than space heaters.I know the heat pump in my condo uses much less than the electric baseboard heat.It will not work at lower temps.

I just googled heat pumps and it says they produce twice the heat for the same energy.
BOB
Old 12-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I think mostly it's a matter of preference. I don't like to run the heat pumps, I feel it's an expensive piece of equipment just to take the chill off in the morning. I'd rather use a couple of electric heaters that do the job just fine. The outside temperature here is presently 37 deg., I have a heater in the living/kitchen area and one in the bedroom area and the inside temperature is 70 deg. I have more options available to keep warm during the winter than I do to keep cool during the summer so I'd prefer to save the A/C's for cooling.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:05 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I would like to share this with you..; We were snowmobiling in west Yellowstone . There was a group of motorhomes There, The temp dropped down to 37 degrees BELOW zero; We had our furnace set at a comfortable temp; in the morning a fellow snowmobiler came with a coffee pot . I thought my he's nice coffee in the morning WRONG, he wanted water to make coffee; he had 2 ceramic heaters running . Saving money I guess. {he is cheap} well his water lines had frozen and when they thawed out the mess started;; Oh Motorhome brand is not an excuse for cheap or stupidity; the manufacture have a furnace and have done a lot of research and developement, use the furnace. With a normal bank of 3 coach batteries they will keep you nice and toasty through the evening. The draw is 6 amps per furnace, run time is 10 minuts per hour, that is just 2 amp draw for 10 minutes; Most batteries can take that. We can split hairs, But generally, batteries will do the job, And you can give your cheap nieghbor some water for coffee.. Life is good..
Old 12-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Oh Motorhome brand is not an excuse for cheap or stupidity
not sure what that means but it doesn't sound very nice.

When hooked up to shore power the only time I ever use the furnace is when its to cold for the heat pumps to work. I would think the heat pump uses less power then two 1500 watt heaters.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
don't forget to heat your basement areas using your furnace.
Wish I could. My previous MH's had a feed from the furnace but current one does not. Water bay does have a ceramic heater operated by a snap disk but it isn't very efficient for heating IMO. I add a pelonis heater and let it run as needed.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
The draw is 6 amps per furnace, run time is 10 minuts per hour, that is just 2 amp draw for 10 minutes; Most batteries can take that. We can split hairs, But generally, batteries will do the job, And you can give your cheap nieghbor some water for coffee.. Life is good..
Isn't that 6 amps per furnace at 120 v more like 60 amps at 12v?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is a thread that I could not find either on this same subject. One of our HVAC techy friends pointed out that heat pumps are more efficient to around 40 degrees. He helped me to understand the term "heatpump" comes from pumping heat from the outside to the inside. It takes more energy or run time for a heat pump to warm the inside of your MH or house than direct heat like a ceramic or other heat that is nearly 100% efficient. Granted these alternate heat sources consume more electricity per minute/hour than a heat pump. But when it gets really cold (below 40) he said it is a wash. At some point colder than that it becomes more cost efficient.

All that said, it doesn't address the cheap side of some who need to run the heatpump or furnace to keep pipes from freezing.

Dave
Old 12-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #10

A heat pump/ac unit draws about 12 amps. At 110V this is 1320 watts. So it's drawing (approx) the same wattage as a 1500 cube heater.

IF the temperature is above 40F, the heat pump will produce about 2X the amount of heat over the cube heater, thus be much more efficient when it comes to burning electricity. If you're close to 32F, not so, and it probably either won't run or will frost up.

So if you have 2 heat pumps operating vs 2 cube heaters, you should be able to get to the same temperature with 50% of the electricity (depending on outside air temp).

I run my heat pump when temps are 40 and above. As others have noted, running cube heaters when freezing may keep the coach toasty, but might freeze pipes in the basement. Then I run the furnace.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
edj

The heat pump is far more efficient (cheaper) to run than an electric cube heater. Depending on the cost of propane/electric, the cube heater is cheaper than the propane furnace. But, neither the heat pump or cube heater will heat the storage area of the RV.

I remember seeing a web site where you could input the cost of electric and propane and it would show you which was cheaper to run (heat pump, electric or propane furnace). But, I do not remember where it was.....
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
The cheapest heat is to use is a propane space heater or fireplace, as they're nearly 100% efficient. But alas, using one results in soaking wet walls from condensation of the water in the air that's released when propane burns.

If you want to make an electric heater more efficient, run a fan behind it... it better equalizes the heat in the room, which makes it feel warmer.
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
a k

Newmar Owners Club
It's not the propane releasing moisture, it's the propane burning the oxygen content and leaving the moisture. Your going to die and not even know it.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
A electric space heater set on 1500watt will put out 5,115 BTU
A RV Heat pump using 15.5 AMP will put out 12,700 BTU.
Or almost 2 1/2 times the electric space heater.

Winner for cost per BTU is a Heat Pump unless outside temp is to low.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote