Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #1

Heater A/C Fan Speed Only Has High Speed

I'm posting this in case it might be of help to someone else. The coach is a 2010 Itasca Ellipse 42AD. Problem was the dash fan would only work on high speed. The fan would not operate when the switch was turned to either low, medium or medium-high speeds. This problem occurred twice before over the coach's lifetime but was repaired both times under an extended warranty. The warranty expired, so now it was my problem to fix.

There are many postings about the resistor set causing this problem. If the fan runs but only at high speed, the resistor set is probably the culprit. This resistor set is what is used to reduce voltages to the blower motor thus providing the speeds other than full high. The resistor set contains a thermistor (fuse that opens when the resistor set gets too hot to prevent a fire) and if it pops, the fan will not operate at the lower speeds.

I removed the resistor set and checked the thermistor. It was open. I ordered the resistor set from Amazon (for this coach the part number is Winnebago Part Number 103930-01-710 and cost $12.25 plus $4.33 shipping https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and installed it. This did not fix the problem even though the resistor set was bad.

There is a blower fan relay in the speed control circuit. I removed the relay and cleaned the corroded contacts and that plus the new resistor set fixed the problem. However, the next time I started the coach the lower blower fan speeds were not working again. At O'Reilly Auto Parts they found the 5-pin 30 amp relay under a Freightliner listing. The new $14 relay did the trick.

In hindsight, the relay was probably what caused the initial problem. There would be times when the fan's lower speeds would work and others when they would stop working; even while driving. The relay's switch contacts can get burned over time causing intermittent problems until it finally fails completely. Fortunately for me, the speed control switch on the dash was not bad because, on this coach, it would be a bear to get to. This setup is probably fairly common across coaches, at least in this era. It appears to me the lower-speeds control circuit includes a circuit breaker, relay, resistor set, a fan speed control switch on the dash, and the blower motor.

On this coach, the resistor set and relay are both mounted on the front end of the coach to the right of the windshield washer bottle; resistor on the left and relay on the right.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front End.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	250318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resistor - Relay.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	250319  

OT-RoadAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #2

Thanks for passing the information along to help others.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #3

Fan doesn't work on all settings

Same problem, different location. This might help other Winnebago owners.

My 2001 Winnebago Journey DL A/C fan quit working on the lowest setting. The medium and high speed work fine. IVR2 pointed to the fan switch or the resistor for the fan speed. I first replaced the switch (easiest) and got the same results, no low speed. This put me searching for the location of the resistor. It was not easy to find. Again, thanks to IRV2 forums. I found it in the compartment where the Onan Generator rides. This is the hood like apparatus on the front of the motorhome. Once this hood is raised the resistor is very far to the left (passenger side) of the motorhome. I could just barely see it and barely reach it. A “shorty” Philips screw driver was needed to pull the old unit out. I tried replacing it but no local auto shop could find one like it. I finally cleaned up the connections (very rusty) and put electrical grease on it and cleaned up the connector and greased it too. When I got them back in, the fan now works on all three speeds. I would guess that over the years the water spray rusted the connections to the point they failed.

Here are pictures of the location and the resistor.

Name:	Fan 1 (2).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	253864

This is the A/C unit under the “hood” of the MH, way to the left is the resistor.

Name:	Fan 2 (2).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	253865

The resistor. If you look closely, you can see part of the connector is melted, at the top. This device is within the air flow part of the A/C and heater unit. The actual resistors are sometimes called “toaster” coils and they do get hot!

Name:	Resistor.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	253866

This is how rusted the connectors were! I did clean them up and made it work.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #4

Great information men, thank you for the pictures and explanation! I'll get to work on mine this coming week-when it cools down into the 80's. This weekend is high 90's W/ mid 70's humidity. The MH parked in a metal garage makes it hotter and stuffy-er.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, heater, heat