Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #15
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would in stall a completely SEPERATE batt for the genset.

You say its a silly setup ?? silly doesn't begine to describe how dumb it sounds to be.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:43 AM   #16
Newmar Owners Club
I would have the generator start of the chassis batteries. Its funny some Newmar coachs start off the chassis some the house. The house batteries are not designed to provide engine starting power. It is a poor design to start off the house batteries. As you have found out if the house batteries go down you cannot start the generator to charge them. A low battery cutoff will also help.

John, Pam, Nicholas, Aria
NKK 16073L
2007 Essex 4502
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:19 AM   #17
Originally Posted by Steve480 View Post
...Should the heater (propane heat, but i guess battery sparked and dc fan to push air?) drain the house batteries overnight?...

Thanks, Steve
In my experience two 6V batteries will not power the furnace fan for the night, unless it's not that cold in the first place. And if it's not that cold, why bother with the furnace anyway? Just throw an extra blanket on the bed.

Most people who boondock in cold weather use a catalytic heater for heat. These heaters run 100% on LP and do not use any electricity. Although they are not supposed to give off carbon monoxide, they will use up the oxygen in the RV so you need to keep a window cracked.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #18
Send a message via Skype™ to mariogeneau
Lots of great replies here! Something similar happened to me this winter while boondocking in New Jersey. Now I know what to do if it happens again!
Mario Geneau
2000 Coachmen Mirada, 34'
mariogeneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #19
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I would have thought holding down the aux. battery/emergency start switch would have done the trick for you? It's supposed to work in BOTH directions. Starting the engine or starting the generator. Simply, it hooks the coach and engine batteries together while the button is held down. Just like a jumper cable from the coach to chassis batteries would do.

On my Intelletec BCC (Battery Control Center) schematic it shows a lovely pair of diodes so that either House or Chassis battery can provide power to the Aux-start/Emer-Start relay to "jump" the other set.

Many, coaches do not have that however, ONLY the house can power that relay, and if the house is dead, starting the engine is the only other option to join the packs up.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote