Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heating--what would you do?

I have begun living full time in my new (to me) Canyon Star 3856 Ford V10 gas. I work in the Tetons from late Apr to late Oct so the nights can get down in the low 30's during Apr and Oct. I am a little concerned about preventing my water pipes from freezing. I have 2 ac/HP and 2 propane furnaces. I am not sure if I can get propane delivered to my coach in the park.

I have been looking into several things and was hoping to hear from some people with more experience than me (I have none).

I was thinking of getting (2) of those little 200 watt heaters to put int he basement compartments near the tanks? These would be run off the site electric (something I am provided with for my employment). What do you think of this idea?

Since the HP is not very good below 40 degrees, I was thinking of using space heaters in the coach and heating electrically. My options here that I am considering are:
1) Using the Dyson oblong/circle fan/heater--it is on sale at COSTCO, is very quiet, and I think if placed at the front of the coach by the driver area facing rear ward, it would heat the entire coach. On cold nights I could open the water cabinets to aid getting heat in there.
2) Using those oil filled old fashioned radiators to provide the heat. They are also quiet, cheaper than the Dyson (even if I buy two) but they would take up a bit more room.

I was also looking at the Cheap Heat system I saw on one of the RV emails I get daily but I think I would have to install (by a professional) 2 of these since I have 2 furnaces. This would eliminate having to use propane, however, as good as this system sounds it may be way more than I can afford to spend between the cost of the parts and the extra labor charges for an RV professional to install. Anyone have this and what do you think?

So, what would you do? Long post--I am sorry, but need your expert advice...or just your honest opinion. Thank you.

Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetonchief View Post
I have begun living full time in my new (to me) Canyon Star 3856 Ford V10 gas. I work in the Tetons from late Apr to late Oct so the nights can get down in the low 30's during Apr and Oct. I am a little concerned about preventing my water pipes from freezing. I have 2 ac/HP and 2 propane furnaces. I am not sure if I can get propane delivered to my coach in the park.

I have been looking into several things and was hoping to hear from some people with more experience than me (I have none).

I was thinking of getting (2) of those little 200 watt heaters to put int he basement compartments near the tanks? These would be run off the site electric (something I am provided with for my employment). What do you think of this idea?

Since the HP is not very good below 40 degrees, I was thinking of using space heaters in the coach and heating electrically. My options here that I am considering are:
1) Using the Dyson oblong/circle fan/heater--it is on sale at COSTCO, is very quiet, and I think if placed at the front of the coach by the driver area facing rear ward, it would heat the entire coach. On cold nights I could open the water cabinets to aid getting heat in there.
2) Using those oil filled old fashioned radiators to provide the heat. They are also quiet, cheaper than the Dyson (even if I buy two) but they would take up a bit more room.

I was also looking at the Cheap Heat system I saw on one of the RV emails I get daily but I think I would have to install (by a professional) 2 of these since I have 2 furnaces. This would eliminate having to use propane, however, as good as this system sounds it may be way more than I can afford to spend between the cost of the parts and the extra labor charges for an RV professional to install. Anyone have this and what do you think?

So, what would you do? Long post--I am sorry, but need your expert advice...or just your honest opinion. Thank you.
If I read correctly, you are getting free electricity, so the heat pumps would be the way to go until the temperatures get too low. Why not just install an extend-a-stay kit, that way you can run your furnaces off of the 25lb bottles when the temps get really low. I am assuming that one of the furnaces feeds some warm air to the water tank compartments.

stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:09 AM   #3

My thoughts, remember I'm a amature.
One 200w watt cube heater is more than enough for your wet bay. At 30 degree you could get by with a 100 watt lightbulb without using your propane heater.
As far a a space heater for the coach, that's a good idea. Especially if your electricity is paid. Since it wil be your primary source of heat I would not skimp on quality.
Also, a space heater is much quieter than the HP.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:09 AM   #4

We have only used our propane furnace on our Palazzo diesel pusher a few times, and only when it got below freezing during the 'daylight' hours. We use the electric space heaters around the coach, and in the water/wet storage bay to keep any water lines or water/sewer tanks from any freezing. I also disconnect the water hoses from the park to the coach when temp may get below 32 for more than several hours overnight. My only freezing lines have been the outside water hose when I forget to unhook and drain it for the night!
Also, when you have access to park electric, you have a lot more options for heat, and you are not using your expensive propane - and you certainly don't have to replenish your propane as often.
We have 18k miles on ours and still have 3/4 propane in our tank. Our only real use is cooking, and that's mostly the microwave!
Our fridge is all electric as well.

All our small electric heaters have two heat settings, 750w and 1500w - we use mainly only use the low settings.

I also run a separate 20a extension cord from the park electric 110GFIC receptacle into our coach(we use the 'pass thru' under the main slide) in order to run one or two heaters off this separate breaker. This way the 50a line doesn't have to support all the heaters and other items at the same time that may trip the main breaker, like the microwave, hair dryer, etc.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Don like you I get elect free so I put 3 of the 200 watt heaters in the basement wired to thermostats set to 45 degrees. This has keep things from freezing. Inside the coach I use one 1500 watt and two 1000 watt units to keep the temp about 70 degrees all winter. This has worked fine for many years. I did have to wire each heater to a new 20amp breaker. Good luck and stay warm.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:01 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This will be the second winter i have lived in my coach. I do not full time but events just evolved that i am spending winters in it last year and this year. Last year in Bartlesville, OK it got down to -6 degrees. So I have a bit of experience in this area.

Water pipes. I bought a 750 watt heater from wal mart cheapest they had cost around 15.00 I made sure to get one with manual thermostat and switched on and off. not digital. If the power goes off I do not have to worry about resetting the thermostat when power comes on. I purchased a heated water hose. I know people that buy heat tape and make their own heated water hose. I read the directions on those heat tapes and they specifically say to not use them on garden hoses. IT works for the people that do that but I prefer not to violate the warnings on the package. I never had any problems with frozen pipes or water lines at all even in single digit and below zero temps. I have a inside outside thermometer with the sending unit in the wet bay area for monitoring it. With the small electric heater i have it is set almost to the lowest setting. I inadvertantly hit the thermostat when setting it up one time after moving the coach. I looked at the monitor and even though it was below freezing it was 110 degrees in there. A lot of plastic things in the wet bay so make sure you monitor temps and use lower settings.

First problem you have is large window area. Go to lowes and buy the 1/4 inch double silver sided insulation. Cut a piece big enough to fit your front drivers window. That will help more than anything you can do i believe. I also cut more insulation and covered the rest of the windows with it.

Some of the advice you recieved is very good. Get an extend a stay. it took me about 15 minutes to install it. The campground i am staying at this year had an extra 100 gallon bottle and they let me use it for free if i buy the propane from them. All i have to do is tell them it is getting low and they come down disconnect it. Fill it and then return it and hook it up.

I use the biggest infrared heater that walmart sells i think it is a 5 or 7 tube heater. That does a great job of heating. For about half the price you can get their biggest electric heater they sell. My wife thinks the infrared is the better one. I think that there is not really that much difference. We actually have both. For the bedroom we have a small 1500 watt heater and it heats it up with no problem when you shut the door.

if you have an inverter then check and see what plug ins are powered by the inverter. I can tell you that on my diesel pusher there are only two non inverter plug ins and a 1500 watt heater will trip the breaker on my 2500 watt inverter.

If you are doing this on a regular basis consider getting heat pumps installed in place of your air conditioner. My heat pumps will work down to about 30 degrees and then the system switches to furnace mode. The heat pumps do a good job of heating down to 35 and below 35 they still keep in warm enough to be comfortable with long sleeve clothes or a throw. Below 30 we need the furnace in the living room area. Like I said before the smaller electric heater in the bedroom will keep it warm down to about 20 maybe a bit colder.

Hopefully that will help you some. I was impressed you were thinking about a dyson although they are interesting tech the price is way up there for what it is.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post

I also run a separate 20a extension cord from the park electric 110GFIC receptacle into our coach(we use the 'pass thru' under the main slide) in order to run one or two heaters off this separate breaker. This way the 50a line doesn't have to support all the heaters and other items at the same time that may trip the main breaker, like the microwave, hair dryer, etc.
What do you mean pass thru do you mean you just run it betwen the slide and the frame through the seal and then pull it out from under the slide ?
I need to see how you do this. Right now i am running an extension cord from the washing macine plug in at the back of the coach to the front in order to get a non inverted plug in. Would be nice not to have to walk on that cord.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tetonchief,
There is quite a bit of good information posted and you do have choices. For me, using the propane furnace is the best choice. I installed an "extend a stay" type connection on the coach propane tank. Go to Extend A Stay Added To Coach Propane System - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see the installation. Bought 2, 30 pound propane tanks. The tanks last quite a while. When one is empty I just switch it out to the full tank and take the empty to the filling station, at my leasure.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Get a remote thermometer so that you can monitor the temps in your basement wet bay and wherever you water lines are run.

On my coach that is in 2 separate compartments so the wet bay heater would not keep everything warm enough in very cold weather. I ran a separate extension cord and ran a small 110 volt ceramic heater, I used a thermostatic plug that turns on at 38 and off at ~45F.

In the living area I would either use a ceramic heater or the oil filled that you suggested. I would only use the propane in really cold weather as a last resort as it will cost you $$$.

During really cold weather bring your slides in since there is heat loss with the additional walls exposed and lots of drafts from wind etc.

If you have vents get the pillows to seal them during the real cold weather.

I move to northern Michigan in late March and lived in my coach. There was still snow on the ground and it got down in the low teens in April. We got ~2' of snow in April but it finally all melted by early May.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I ran a string of 9 watt heaters called C-9 Christmas Tree Lights under my fresh tank (About 270 watts total as I recall and a 100 watt lamp in the waste water end of the bay. Works fairly well around 8 degrees above outside most evenings when the lights come on (They only come on when needed, Thermostatic controlled outlet adapter)

I also have a 150 watt heater and when it hit 11 I stuck it in the waste end as well this is a forced air job.. Was not enough, One line froze (No damage though) Likely in the middle over the drive shaft.

OF course running the furnace helps too but you mentioned propane delivery may be a problem.. I do not have that problem.. I can get propane delivered where I am.

If you can not there used to be a device called an "Extend-a-flow" I do not believe it is still made but there is one called "Stay-A-While" I believe by Mr Heater, Camping world sells it. . This allows you to hook up an external Propane tank.. With proper extension hoses and such you can hook up several different tank sizes. Talk to the local propane delivery folks.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #11

If your numbers are correct low 30's then I don't see a problem. The heat pumps should do an adequate job, and an additional spacer heater should be more than enough. A 75 watt light bulb in the wet bay, or near the pump should be sufficient. Now if the temps STAY in the sub freezing range for a period of time, you may need more options.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:49 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You keep your furnace running should have no problem, the wet bay place a insulated blanket on wet bay floor to cut down on cold.
We have been in 1* weather for days and warm as toast.
All plumbing runs are in your insulated floor.
Here is winter camping for you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #13

yes, mine runs from under the sink cabinet thru a 'bag' that the slide uses to keep wiring and plumbing items in place when the slide runs in and out. The bag has enough extra space to run out an ext cord, which drops out the seal from under the slide - the ext cord is plenty long enough to reach the park electric and allow enough inside to reach throughout the coach - this is especially nice if I have only the 30a option at a park since most, if not all, also provide the 20a 110v outlet as well
Old 02-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #14

1. Roof top heat pump is only good down to around to low 40's.

2. I just bought two 200watt heaters, one for each bay.

3. I would have gone with cheap heat if I could have but my ducting would not support it. That would be my first choice over a heat pump any day.

Tags
heating