RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Heating your stinky slinky

We were at a campground where the temps get below freezing and they required we put heat tape on the sewer line. Didn't really think it was necessary since we don't keep the tanks open. We are newbies though so I thought I would check.

Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just out your hose away. Pull it out when ready to dump.

Same for fresh water hose. Operate off the tank and fill as needed.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:59 PM   #3

Pretty silly. We camp often in freezing and never seen that. You are correct, leave tanks closed and dump when you need to....it won’t freeze in the short time it takes to dump. You can leave the slinky out...freezing an empty hose won’t affect it.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #4

Leaving the open hole in the wet bay for the hose to exit lets heat out, though. We put the hose away when it's a hard freeze.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Leaving the open hole in the wet bay for the hose to exit lets heat out, though. We put the hose away when it's a hard freeze.
Good point. I put steel wool around the hose to keep the critters out of that entry way but think I will ad a bit more insulation on top of it.
Home State is Kentucky
Old 12-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
. . . they required we put heat tape on the sewer line.
I guess if it's required then it's required but that's one I've never heard of before. I've heard of some CGs requiring heated freshwater hoses if left connected but never for the sewer hose.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:55 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I bet those folks have had to clean up a really icky mess before, and decided to make a rule to prevent that from happening again.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #8

If you really want good cold weather heating add urethane to the underside. We used to travel in January with our 2003 Phaeton. As an added precaution, I had and industrial insulation firm spray the bottom of the basement including the wet bay tub with 2" of urethane insulation. I cut out the necessary hole for the dump hose. It made a noticeable difference in the temp of the wet bay and basement which also made the living area more comfortable.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
If you really want good cold weather heating add urethane to the underside. We used to travel in January with our 2003 Phaeton. As an added precaution, I had and industrial insulation firm spray the bottom of the basement including the wet bay tub with 2" of urethane insulation. I cut out the necessary hole for the dump hose. It made a noticeable difference in the temp of the wet bay and basement which also made the living area more comfortable.
Thanks for the tip, thats an interesting thought. I think I will read up on that and spend some time under the coach. Other than the hole for the sewer hose, no other concerns?
Home State is Kentucky
Old 12-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #10

Mine had an overflow tube on the right side of the fresh water tank and a couple of drain tubes in the wet bay tub. If you clamp on extensions to these tubes, then just cut them off when done. I found a shop with a pit for aligning heavy trucks and rented it for a couple hours. The commercial insulation company rep just went down in the pit with his hose and spray gun. Took less the 10 minutes to do the whole thing. It took me longer to dig out the drain tubes after the foam set up. I got lucky, as I and my dealer thought Tiffin forgot to spray insulation under the coach and he paid for it. Turned out that Tiffin started using an insulation board for the floor of the basement and I ended up with double protection. The important part was covering the wet bay. Made a big difference in temperature there.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Mine had an overflow tube on the right side of the fresh water tank and a couple of drain tubes in the wet bay tub. If you clamp on extensions to these tubes, then just cut them off when done. I found a shop with a pit for aligning heavy trucks and rented it for a couple hours. The commercial insulation company rep just went down in the pit with his hose and spray gun. Took less the 10 minutes to do the whole thing. It took me longer to dig out the drain tubes after the foam set up. I got lucky, as I and my dealer thought Tiffin forgot to spray insulation under the coach and he paid for it. Turned out that Tiffin started using an insulation board for the floor of the basement and I ended up with double protection. The important part was covering the wet bay. Made a big difference in temperature there.
Thanks Crasher, very good information. Think I will ask around town and see if I can find somebody. I know this insulation can be expensive in a house but sure it can't be too much for a coach. Thanks again.
Home State is Kentucky
Old 12-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #12

When we were set up “permanently “ for two years in a CG we used a 6” PVC pipe to run the slinky thru. Never any more freezing dump hose. I don’t know how it works but it does.
Newmar Hoots looking for a roost
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjam View Post
Pretty silly. We camp often in freezing and never seen that. You are correct, leave tanks closed and dump when you need to....it won’t freeze in the short time it takes to dump. You can leave the slinky out...freezing an empty hose won’t affect it.
Ever try to store one when frozen?
In the end, it's the RV park owners playground - and their rules.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Thanks for the tip, thats an interesting thought. I think I will read up on that and spend some time under the coach. Other than the hole for the sewer hose, no other concerns?
Spray on urethane is open cell, meaning it can absorb water unless covered with a sealant. At least the products used by contractors we hired.

Tags
heat, heating