Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry stupid question.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Bum View Post
Another question from the newby, where I park MH I have the access to a standard RV shore power hook up as in camp ground. This my question . Could I run a heavy Duty electric cord from the standard plug on the shore power to inside coach to run a electric heater for those nights it may possible freeze. I might add that I live in the eastern Georgia, does not freeze very often . (25 low for one or to nights in a row) The reason in my mind for doing this is that way I do not have to hook up my 30 amp. and do not have to run house batteries. Wish coach had come with a way to do that . Hope I explained my question enought to get an answer. If that is possible what would be the best way to do that. THANKS
I assume you have NOT winterized your coach. Your sig line does not show what kind of coach you have. Some have holding tanks exposed underneath, some have them enclosed within "sandwich" of floor and a lower pan. If your tanks are not enclosed, they are subject to freezing whether or not the interior is heated, although heating will protect interior pipes, etc. I would make sure all tanks are empty; then heating the interior should keep you safe. Leave cabinet doors, etc., open to expose interior pipes to the heat.

taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:27 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for your opionions.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Sorry must have been a stupid question !
Not a stupid question, my opinion the first thing to freeze will be the water pump and outside pipes.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Have a 2015 Winnebago 27 N . I was trying to get a little more heat or fan in hot summer with the 20 amp cord
Old 01-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do what wildtoad does, and I think it is what WVBum is asking.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:28 AM   #21

I installed a house type outlet inside on the DS of my coach then add about 6' of 12 gauge cord with a male end. Now when I want more power on a 30amp service to run a heater I pull out my 50' 12gauge ext cord plug it in then plug in my heater. On a 30amp service you need all the power you can get, on a 50amp service I do the same thing.
If not plugged in I would add a volt meter to a power port on the dash, that way you can see the condition of the chassis batteries all the time and when low 12.2 plug it in. House batteries from your control board maybe.
Amazon.com: Prime Products 12-2020 12 Volt Digital Meter: Automotive
Mine is plugged in all the time with the inverter on, don't like to reset the clocks.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Okiedoke. What did you mean by surface mount outlet. I was looking at a place I could get into coach with extension cord. I was thinking about coming in coach at entry steeps , maybe drilling hole and then putting a cover door over it. ( that is we're batteries are and open to under coach.) The reason in my mind, for finding a way to do this is I don't want to over charge my coach batteries at storage. When at a camp site I can plug in to the non 30 amp socket and not overload coach system. Does that make good sense.
You can buy a 110v outlet that mounts to a wall - I got one at Lowes. I drilled a hole through the top of the electrical bay and one in a closet wall nearby. Sealed it by wrapping tape around the appliance cord on both sides of the holes. Also important to secure the wire to prevent any strain on connections.

As far as over-charging the house batteries... I had that problem with the single stage converter that came with our MH - had to add water monthly to batteries. Replaced it with a three stage converter that completely solved the problem. We rarely need to add water anymore. Or, for long-term storage only, just get a battery float charger and connect directly to your house batteries. You might want to isolate the batteries when you do that though.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
As wa8yxm noted, use an extension cord of sufficient size to carry total amperage, remembering you are hooked to a 30A receptacle, but using a 15A cord.
Uh, no.. You missed something in the O/P he said "Standard Plug" (which tells me he can't tell a plug from an outlet, but hey, many here have that problem).

The Standard Outlet in the box is a 15/20 amp with a 20 amp breaker, thus the 12ga cord is specific (though it comes with 15 amp plugs, if you are a puriest you can swap them out for 20's but in practice the 15s work well).

As I said, I do this

Oh, the 30 amp outlet. it gets a proper 30 amp plug and cord (I mean he needs primary power for his RV)

Stuck as I am on a 50 amp site, I use the 15/20 only when I need the blow hard (Air compressor) or some other 120 volt appliance on the service side of the rig. (Have enough indoor power for the heaters)

NOTE: I have 3 special outlets (15/20 amp, 12 ga feed, each with a breaker dedicated to it (And in one case an air conditioner) and the washer/dryer (Likewise but factory installed) These are for the heaters and voltage monitors. The Standard RV "Quick" outlets are not really something I care to plug heaters into,, Had one overheat,, And I'm not the only one who has had that happen.. No problems with the heavy duty jobs I installed.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
EZ solution, use the 30 amp RV plugin. Turn off anything you do not want on, either at the breaker box or on the item it self. Now if you feel the need to charge the batteries turn charger back on, if you want refer on to cool before trip turn it back on. Now you have the best nothing running you don't want and at any time run all you want, like the electric heater.

LEN
Old 02-15-2015, 03:17 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
VW,

I would use the 30 amp shore power. Your 27n Has a very sophisticated 3-stage charger/converter that should never overcharge your house batteries.

It's not like the old days.

Mine stays plugged in year-round, with a small heater on low in the galley area.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Danhannah, thanks for the info. I can not find that our coach has a 3 stage charger. How did you find that yours did. Maybe it was an extra on your coach.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:59 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
A bit of a scavenger hunt!

On the Winnebago Service site, you can put in your serial number, and it will return the items and parts installed on your particular unit. Here is the URL:

Service Parts List

My unit states that it has the Intellipower 9200 from Progressive Dynamics. I then went to the web and read up on that unit.

I didn't order anything special as it relates to this option. It came standard. It is an upgrade from the year before, I think. The build date for my rig was June 2013, for this 2014 model.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:08 AM   #28

I do this often - it gives me 20a additional usage and allows me to run additional heaters without tripping the main breaker on the 30a or 50a park plug. I mainly do it to provide additional heaters in the coach and in the wet bay, to minimize freezing. In the summer, it comes in handy for those exterior fans and items outside - while tou moght be running both 15k a/c units, etc....
all in all, it just gives you more options😜