Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Heavy Extension cord

Another question from the newby, where I park MH I have the access to a standard RV shore power hook up as in camp ground. This my question . Could I run a heavy Duty electric cord from the standard plug on the shore power to inside coach to run a electric heater for those nights it may possible freeze. I might add that I live in the eastern Georgia, does not freeze very often . (25 low for one or to nights in a row) The reason in my mind for doing this is that way I do not have to hook up my 30 amp. and do not have to run house batteries. Wish coach had come with a way to do that . Hope I explained my question enought to get an answer. If that is possible what would be the best way to do that. THANKS
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 08:08 AM   #2

Yes you could, but why? Are you trying to save on the electric bill? Hooked into shore power will keep your house batteries charged in addition to powering all your 120v outlets for use.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:38 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Short answer: YES
Longer answer: I do it at many (30 amp) Campsites without problems.

NOTE: the cord I use is a 12ga Cord from K-Mart or Sears, it has a push button on the outlet and actually GRIPS the device plug.. Very nice

You must push the button to plug in or unplug.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #4

As wa8yxm noted, use an extension cord of sufficient size to carry total amperage, remembering you are hooked to a 30A receptacle, but using a 15A cord.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #5

I went one step farther and ran a short appliance cord from the electric bay to a surface mount outlet installed in the bedroom right above. I connect it to the 20 amp shore power outlet with a 25' heavy duty extension cord when using our 1500 watt oil filled heater. We do not use any other items on that circuit. Works great.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Okiedoke. What did you mean by surface mount outlet. I was looking at a place I could get into coach with extension cord. I was thinking about coming in coach at entry steeps , maybe drilling hole and then putting a cover door over it. ( that is we're batteries are and open to under coach.) The reason in my mind, for finding a way to do this is I don't want to over charge my coach batteries at storage. When at a camp site I can plug in to the non 30 amp socket and not overload coach system. Does that make good sense.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:49 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You have not mentioned the model / year of your unit. If it is anything newer than 1990 it most likely will charge and not overcharge your battery. I would simply buy the proper adapter (Wal Mart) to plug your RV cord into the extension cord and forget about it.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #8

Two years ago, I installed a surge/voltage protection device. this device gives a display of the voltage and current flow in each "leg" of the input. The bonus is that now I can see the load on the shore power......thus I can know for certainty whether I can use an electric heater or the like.
bobguigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:16 PM   #9

Think several of us are questioning why you want to by-pass the 30 amp plug. Bottom line, use the 30 amp plug in your coach for routine/std uses like lights, cooking and heat. Then if you want, use a second heavy duty cord [at least 12 gauge] to supplement things like a ceramic / or other type of space heater. Dont get your interest in by-passing the 30 amps plug?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Think several of us are questioning why you want to by-pass the 30 amp plug.
^Correct....WV Bum, can you explain?
Old 01-05-2015, 03:51 PM   #11

Is the reason to keep pipes from freezing? If so I don't think one space heater is not going to keep the pipes from freezing there is to many different places pipes can freeze that the heat want get to. I'd winterize and forget it we will be in the teens this week.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry must have been a stupid question !
Old 01-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #13

Wv, like you I am just asking a question. If I knew the thought process behind your question I think I could give you a better answer.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #14

Not a stupid question. At my house, I hook mine up to a 30 amp source to run a heater when it gets cold along with a 100w light bulb in the bay where the water pump is. Plan to do just that over the next 3-4 days based on forecast.

When at a campsite, in addition to the 30 amp I will plug a extension cord into the 20 amp circuit to run an outside fan in the summer, and a heater in the winter for outside use.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote