Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #1

Height adjustment while moving on DP

This might be chassis specific or maybe it is just a common function. I assume the height specified in the brochures is the normal ride height with the airbags inflated to a certain amount. For example, a Dutch Star is listed at 13' even. I put a sizable shop in my backyard and a 14' door in case someday we get a DP. The way it turned out, I had to put a grade in the connecting of the old driveway to the front of the shop. I am a little concerned on a coach hitting the door when going up the slope. So the question is can you deflate the front airbags to get you a few more inches lower while moving slowly?
Elousv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No, when a modern coach is put in gear the air bags inflate. I've tried it on 3 different coaches with the same result. Moving a coach on deflated air bags would be risky anyway.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:25 PM   #3

I can, with Valid air leveling!

Don't know if Newmar offers it, or a similar system.

I wouldn't do it if there was a transition in grade from uphill to level ground though. It would probably wipe my Aqua Hot exhaust system off the bottom of the coach!
Old 11-15-2019, 07:49 PM   #4

Depending on the leveling system installed you may be able to. If the coach has Air Leveling and not hydraulic jacks you may be able to fake out the system. On my coach I can remove a fuse in the HWH control box and "lock" the air bag at a given height. With the fuse removed the Air Leveling will not shift from Leveling to Ride Height. You adjust the coach to the height you want then remove the fuse. Move the coach then reinstall the fuse to get all the functions (leveling and ride height) back. This technique is use to move a coach with a bad ride height valve. I should work for what you want to do.

I have also seen a kit that does something similar. I though it was for Source Engineering in Oregon but I don't see it on the site any more.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #5

If you deflate the front air bags you may not have any steering ability without crunching your front fenders.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:28 PM   #6

That's right. Lowered, you would only want to use in a straight line.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #7

I grimaced when I read "For example, a Dutch Star is listed at 13' even.". Don't ever believe a "listed" number. Measure yourself. If you're buying a rig, measure it yourself before you buy. If you have grade level concerns, measure them and draw it out on paper to scale. Then cut out that new MH to scale and move it in, checking clearances.

And when you have that exact height number, put it on a label and paste it in the upper left (or wherever) of the windshield so you can remember and double check when driving and clearance might be an issue. Did I say the rig was 12' 3" or 13' 2"?
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:10 PM   #8

If you have an incline into your garage, the leading end of the MH into the garage will be higher than level height. If you have a decline into the garage the center of the wheel-base will be higher than level height.This will happen at the garage door opening.
To calculate the MH maximum height at door opening requires geometry calculations.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:24 PM   #9

There is actually a rig in the classifieds that has an aftermarket HWH Active Air and one of the features is "provides variable height control to go over or under obstacles". So it sounds like what I was originally asking for is possible should the need arise.
Elousv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #10
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilvmygt View Post
Depending on the leveling system installed you may be able to. If the coach has Air Leveling and not hydraulic jacks you may be able to fake out the system. On my coach I can remove a fuse in the HWH control box and "lock" the air bag at a given height. With the fuse removed the Air Leveling will not shift from Leveling to Ride Height. You adjust the coach to the height you want then remove the fuse. Move the coach then reinstall the fuse to get all the functions (leveling and ride height) back. This technique is use to move a coach with a bad ride height valve. I should work for what you want to do.

I have also seen a kit that does something similar. I though it was for Source Engineering in Oregon but I don't see it on the site any more.
I installed a dash switch connected between the HWH fuse and control box. I have to dump all the air in the bags to back into my garage. After the air is dumped, I hit the disconnect switch and back in. When the disconnect switch is activated, the suspension will not go to travel mode.

Bill
Old 11-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
How the bags inflate varies from brand to brand. My 2014 Dutch Star would inflate the airbags automatically when the coach was started. When my 2014 would start up with no air, there is no moving it until there was enough pressure to operate the brakes. Once the brakes had air, it could several minutes before the coach actually raised. It might be long enough to back it in a garage.

On my 2019 Dutch Star, on a Freightliner chassis, if you manually dump the air when you park it, it will NOT trigger the system to inflate the air bags when you restart it and allow the air bags to fill. So on this coach, it won't automatically inflate and can be driven straight, SLOWLY, with the air bags deflated.

So....it depends on the coach and brand and chassis.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
How the bags inflate varies from brand to brand. My 2014 Dutch Star would inflate the airbags automatically when the coach was started. When my 2014 would start up with no air, there is no moving it until there was enough pressure to operate the brakes. Once the brakes had air, it could several minutes before the coach actually raised. It might be long enough to back it in a garage.

On my 2019 Dutch Star, on a Freightliner chassis, if you manually dump the air when you park it, it will NOT trigger the system to inflate the air bags when you restart it and allow the air bags to fill. So on this coach, it won't automatically inflate and can be driven straight, SLOWLY, with the air bags deflated.

So....it depends on the coach and brand and chassis.
I once did that, unintentionally. The ride height linkage broke and allowed the rear to deflate. Every time I stepped on the throttle the rear of the coach would hop up/down because it put the driveshaft in a bind. I had to feather the throttle to reach a Love's truck stop to buy a new linkage kit.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:35 PM   #13

Why not use some 2x10 boards to shim as needed to get in the garage door?
Old 11-17-2019, 07:04 AM   #14

Get a laser level doesn't have to an expensive rotary one.Park on level-ish parking lot ect. Use bubble to level it "dead on" on highest point or roof and calculate to highest point. Shoot to pole or board take measurement. Use level shoot the grade every few feet for 40-50 feet . You'll need the wheelbase front and rear overhang of coach, if you want to pull in either way, double check exact door height . Draw it up post it here, someone smarter than I, will can help.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote