Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2016, 06:24 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Height Change after Air Dump

I've rv'd in all types except the DP which we purchased 3 months ago. The 03 Neptune is at Cummins until next week so I can't check this on my own.

How much does the height of the MH change when it is air'd up for travel and when the 'Air Dump' has been done prior to the leveling process.

I understand the reason and function of the air ride measurement and the need to check annually. Also the reason to dump before leveling and after slide extension.

Have searched but can not find this measurement. Some have stated it drops to the point you never want to be under in any area when dumping. Also to check for obstacles that might hit the trans when dumping. Others have stated it is only a problem in certain spaces.

I know my receiver height is going to change in the two situations and am wondering by how much. I also realize it will be different for all units but an average is my query.

Thanks for the help.
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My Windsor will drop about ~5 inches when I dump the air.

When preparing to leave I'll start the engine to build air pressure and do a walk around. When I clinch my fist I can't get it between the tire and wheel well. Once all the bags are inflated I can fit my fist between tire and wheel well & I know I can leave.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
jacwjames: Thanks That is exactly what I was looking for. Now I have an idea and what to look for when the beast comes home.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
X2 on 5-6 inches. I use my fatboy tire thumper to measure the space above the tire. It don't fit, I don't move.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I actually got on the roof with a tape measure and a level, with a friend on the street, and we measured aired up and dumped, front and rear. The difference was a consistent 5" all around. Overall height measured at the a/c units was 12'1" dumped, 12'6" aired up which interestingly enough is several inches less than Newmar quotes for the overall height.

And I STILL managed to snag a low wire driving through Gainesville GA. Can't believe I didn't rip it down, but it luckily it popped off. Only damage was the wiring rubber boot on the TV antenna and a popped rear bath vent cover.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #6

Our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and, the Freightliner Evolution chassis, drops exactly 4" when prepping for leveling operations. On ours, we've got two ride height valves in the rear and one in the front.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like I might need a 5-6 inch drop receiver for the toad. That is to stay within the +- 4" Roadmaster wants.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:20 PM   #8

noeldale,

I have a 2003 Monaco Cayman, sister to your Neptune. Our coaches are on the R4R rail chassis, not a "raised rail" chassis like the others that have replied. Your chassis does not drop the same as the other posts suggest. On the rear you will get a 3-1/2" to 4" drop max at best. Mine is about 3" to 3-1/2" drop.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, thanks. Still learning about these things. Seems like they are all custom to a point yet have some similarities.

I get it home next week and will know then but the search is half the fun.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
About 4-5 inches on my Windsor!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Newmar KSDP. Dump goes down 4-5".

Recently had Level system, failure. Tech installed a switch so that I could manually dump, or air up bags. The switch was located in the electrical compartment under the drivers seat. To air up I had to hold the rocker switch until the system was fully inflated. I Took a string and heavy 2" metal washer, and made a gauge. I held the string end in the top center of the front wheel well, when the washer was no longer touching the ground, the system was full.

Now that the level system is repaired. Start the engine, and listen for the air system to " whoosh". It is full and inflated when you hear that sound.

P.S. I kept the string and washer, hope I never need it again...put I got it if I ever want to check it manually.
Old 12-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #12

noeldale

Are thinking you need a drop hitch to hook up your toad? If your using a motorhome mounted tow bar, with the coach at ride height, you shouldn't need a drop hitch. Towing our Saturn which is similar to your Malibu there is about a 1 inch difference between the coach and the Saturn, the Saturn being the 1 inch lower. Leaving the toad attached and dumping the air shouldn't affect or make a difference on the tow bar hook up. We frequently leave the toad connected when we stop for the night while traveling with no problems.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Bubba1

The receiver is at 18.125 with the connection at the Roadmaster at 16. This is with the air dumped. If it airs up and I have receiver at 22.125 I will then have 6 inch difference and would need to get it within the 4 inch recommended.

That is if I understand this all correctly. I'll measure when it gets home mid-week. Will not be taking the toad to AL in Jan but will need the setup done by May.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:04 PM   #14

Hi guys,

When the coach builder lists in the brochure a coach is 12'-10" is that aired up? I've never been that great at math but it looks to even a casual observer, If you go up 5" that becomes 13'-3" in a hurry!

The 12'-10" is the coach with full airbags and ready to go right?

Mike H brought up a question I never thought about. Do you hook up your toad before or after you air up?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote