Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #15

Mike,

I also have a Nuvi 765 and I'm intrigued with the POI of Walmarts, Sams Clubs, Flying J's and the 12' height restriction warning. Would you be so kind as to provide turn by turn directions to download these items to my Nuvi 765? How do you know which 12' file to choose. They list several.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
sidewinder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been in 48 states and the only height problem I have ever run into is trees on back streets.
No GPS will be aware of low hanging branchs nor drooping power lines in Kentucky, etc

I'm 11' 11" and I put a label on the inside top left corner of my windshield that says *Clearance 12'*. I don't recall any overpasses under 13 feet.

There's no substitute for the good old eyeball.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I've been in 48 states and the only height problem I have ever run into is trees on back streets.
No GPS will be aware of low hanging branchs nor drooping power lines in Kentucky, etc

I'm 11' 11" and I put a label on the inside top left corner of my windshield that says *Clearance 12'*. I don't recall any overpasses under 13 feet.

There's no substitute for the good old eyeball.

We are in the So Eastern area of PA and we cannot make a left turn out of the storage facility with our MH as there is an old train overpass above the roadway to a major business thorough-fare that is only a 10 foot clearance. We have many situations of low clearance overpasses like this in our area.
We must always be aware of the roads we travel --
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
Hi, Could I download this to my Garmin Street Pilot 2610 ?
thanks
Robert

No the 2610 does not accept POI's.
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #19

You may want to take a look at the Garmin Nuvi 465T. I believe it has all the features your looking for.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We downloaded the low clearance into our Garmin 765 and it seems to work great. The expressways in the US aren't problems for motorhomes, however, we did get an alert of an overpass that was under our 12' parameter while on the expressway in Montana. I had the warning set for almost a mile ahead and was quite concerned when the alarm went off. It wasn't until the expressway crossed over a bridge that was obviously used primarily for agriculture that we relaxed! The clearance under that bridge was obviously less than 12'. Keep in mind that if the alarm goes off it means that you are approaching a low clearance, but not necessarily on the same road that you are on if there are crossroads or low clearances in the immediate area.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
I use the Garmin Nuvi 765T. This GPS takes custom Points of Interest (POI) and also allows updates of software and maps via my computer. I just plug in via a USB. It is not specifically designed for trucks but I am going to try that POI for height clearance on my next trip. I use the POI for WalMarts and Sams all the time and it hasn't failed me yet.

The 765 also displays pictures of what the intersection/exit looks like on the Interstate so you can see how many lanes are exiting and which one you should be in. It also has a traffic alert system but I think that is a waste of time.

I would be very interested in hearing from somebody that has a GPS unit that is specifically designed for trucks and how good the low clearance alert is. Can one specify how high your vehicle is and only alert when something is lower?
Mike:

I have the 765T and downloaded the Low Clearance db from POIFactory. Sadly it doesn't have every low clearance listed.

This summer coming back from Maine we decided to take the NY SeaWay trail. Near Rochester I came around a curve and found a sign Low Clearance 11.5ft. My coach is ~12.5ft. I did the complicated math... and started looking for an escape route. There was none. They put up the damn sign AFTER the last possible turn-off.

Since I was towing my car on a dolly I had to stop on the two lane road, take the car off the dolly and park it, disconnect the dolly and park it, and then manuever my 35ft coach into a private road to the Lake and turn around, hook up the dolly, and re-load the car.

I made no new friends for RV'ing that day.

Moral of the story - Don't DEPEND on any low clearance database. They may be helpful but it's the missing data that can "top" your coach.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:19 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

You really need more than just the POI for low clearances or you have to manually check each route or change of route to see if any Low POIs are along the way. Many of the Garmins have a proximity alert feature that can be used to warn if you are getting near a designated item. It is mostly used for speed traps and school zones, but I see no reason the Low Clearance POI could not be used the same way.

As for the frequency of the problem, there are still a fair number of low clearances east of the Mississippi, so if you drive your motorhome far off the interstate or major truck routes shown in the motor carrier atlas, you may encounter a few. West of the Mississippi it is rarely a problem.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hate to be a pest, but can I get this download for my 755T Garmin Nuvi?
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here are a couple sites that I use. I hope they will help.
Please do remember that things change and the information is only as good as it changes to the correct values. Watch for the yellow warning signs for clearance heights. Of, follow an 18 wheeler.

The first one is the AITA (America's Independent Truckers Association, Inc).

Low Clearances

The second is the GPS Data Team's POI's.

Low Clearance POI's

I always check the AITA site before traveling on a highway that I'm unfamiliar with, and then I always watch for signs. We were in one area of the Central Eastern states and saw one sign, and went under a 7 foot clearance. (I was in the TOAD)

Something to consider. When they resurface a roadway there can be up to a 2 inch difference of surface area where the roadway meets the clearance. They may not have changed the sign yet. A lot of roadways will have cement on the road directly under the overpass, but the entrance and exit will be the hot-patch that can be higher.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #25

Mike I have the 465T and it is called the truckers GPS. If you select truck you can enter length, height, width and weight. Those factors are taken into account when routing. The truckers atlas found at truck stops is also a help. Using truck routes thru towns is also a good idea.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
I hate to be a pest, but can I get this download for my 755T Garmin Nuvi?

Go to the Garmin website. You will need the USB/GPS cord that came with your Garmin.

Register your unit on-line. I think you'll need the serial number off the back.

Once registered you can go to My Garmin from the main page. You'll find instructions. When I bought my unit you could get a one-time free map update w/in 90days. After that you pay, either each time or lifetime depending on how you purchase. The lifetime upgrade is available at substantial discounts from the Internet. Try Amazon and others.

Hope this helps.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:21 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use the Cobra Pro 7700. It's used by a lot of truckers also. You enter the height and weight and it monitors your route for restrictions. I've had it for a few months and really like it.
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 AM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
Mike I have the 465T and it is called the truckers GPS. If you select truck you can enter length, height, width and weight. Those factors are taken into account when routing. The truckers atlas found at truck stops is also a help. Using truck routes thru towns is also a good idea.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
I too, use the 465T and have never had a worry about height clearances. As Al said, it is all built in, and you can switch back & forth from truck to car mode.
dantrim is offline   Reply With Quote