Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Height Clearance and Routes

Greetings:

How big of a problem is the height of our MHs when choosing certain routes or roadways? I am considering upgrading my GPS to include a low clearance warning/trip planner and I am wondering if low clearance is an issue that comes up often or not.

I never had a problem with my travel tailer but I am brand new to the DP world.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #2

We are concerned about this as well. We didn't upgrade our GPS (didn't know it was available) but we just purchased a Rand McNally 2011 "Motor Carrier" Road Atlas. Haven't received it yet, but supposedly it is used by truckers and has all the info needed----

We are new to traveling the east coast and it seems there are many more bridges, overpasses, underwater roadways, etc. that could pose a problem with clearances or propane.
User1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Magellan Roadmaster 1700 is an oversized version of their bread and butter GPS that, for an additional charge, has a "trucker/RVer" program called CoPilot that will plan your route based on height, weight, and propane amongst other things...
Old 11-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It's always something that I keep in mind but almost never something that causes a problem. We've logged 32,000 miles through 34 states and haven't had a single incident where we had to route around a low clearance. I should mention that we also try to avoid "adventures" through towns, etc.... but you're far more likely to have challenges getting into and out of fuel stops and campgrounds.

Good Luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Traped twice

Dave
I have the truckers version of the Magellin GPS with a 7 inch screen, it is suppose to tell me if I am about to be topped off.
The trouble I used to have was I forgot to ask for height restrictions.
Once along the Washington coast I followed a camping RV park sign, we went through a one lane road in a corkscrew manner until we came to a 9 foot railroad bridge, I have a Class A 12 foot high. We took three hours and half of the park employes to back that 34 foot monster out.
Another time we were going to get gas in a very remote area, one of those that the gas station was on the southbound and we were going north, we made the loop around and under the freeway as we have made many times before except this time the underpass was 10 feet, and we were forced again to back up about a 1/4 mile, I'm getting pretty good at long turning back-ups.
When you get your new GPS make sure it has the height feature, but most of all-USE IT!!
I got my big screen Magellin at COSCO and can see it and hear it on the other side of the rig.
Larry
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Larry:

Great thanks! Did you add on the CoPilot Map upgrade? Further, how do you have yours mounted in the coach.

Again thanks,

Dave
Old 11-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #7

I just downloaded this POI for my Garmin GPS the other day but have not yet had a chance to use it. You select the file for your height and I used 13' which gives me about 6" then do the download. It should come up and warn you on your GPS if their is a low clearance ahead that is lower than what you asked for.

Low Clearance in the United States - Transportation GPS POI data directory for TomTom, Garmin, Navman, Destinator and other GPS devices. - GPS POI Data

It cost me $7 to register for a lifetime but a lot more POIs are available
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:01 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK forgive me because I am not very good with this technology, but could I download this file into my Magellan?
Old 11-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #9

All I know is my Garmin which I can connect to my computer via a mini USB cable. I can download a POI save it on my computer then transfer it to my GPS. When you go to download it will come up and give you a selection for the type GPS so you get the right format. I have all the major truckstop POIs including Flying Js and all the WalMart/Sams locations.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #10

Download to Garmin

Hi, Could I download this to my Garmin Street Pilot 2610 ?
thanks
Robert
Old 11-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #11

Robert, I just read the manual for your GPS and there is nothing that suggests POIs can be loaded into your unit.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #12

Thanks Mike! That's too bad I like this GPS but it might be time to switch. I don't think there are any upgrades available either.
The changes as we travel are getting more and more. I had to back-up about almost 1 mile when we visited the USAF Museum in Dayton Ohio due to a low overpass, Not Fun!
Robert
Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #13

I use the Garmin Nuvi 765T. This GPS takes custom Points of Interest (POI) and also allows updates of software and maps via my computer. I just plug in via a USB. It is not specifically designed for trucks but I am going to try that POI for height clearance on my next trip. I use the POI for WalMarts and Sams all the time and it hasn't failed me yet.

The 765 also displays pictures of what the intersection/exit looks like on the Interstate so you can see how many lanes are exiting and which one you should be in. It also has a traffic alert system but I think that is a waste of time.

I would be very interested in hearing from somebody that has a GPS unit that is specifically designed for trucks and how good the low clearance alert is. Can one specify how high your vehicle is and only alert when something is lower?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #14

I have the Magellan 1700. The screen size is awesome! I bought it to use with the Co-Pilot Truckers maps, but have heard many say the maps that come with Co-Pilot are very poor. BTW, when you add CoPilot to the Magellan it uses the Co-Pilot maps not the ones that came with the Magellan!

Thanks for the POIs, I'm not sure how they would be used to calculate a route. Maybe they are just displayed and you have to manually avoid them. I'll have to take a look at that option.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote