Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2015, 11:29 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Spyros
Smile Hello all! First time buyer, 1985 Pace Arrow 31'

Hello everyone! I'm glad to join your community, my name is Spyros (It's Greek) and I'm 25. Tomorrow I am purchasing a 1985 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. The owner says it's a 33' RV, however based on the brochure and the floorplan, I believe this is the 31' model.

It has about 60k miles on it, but seems to be in great condition inside and out. I'm buying it for $3,200. Took it for a test drive today, which turned into a scary offroad adventure through sand hills in the Mojave desert. That sort of woke me up to how thrilling owning this RV might be.

I will be a full-timer with no experience, a girlfriend, and two pets in California. I would LOVE to hear any thoughts or reviews on this motorhome, along with advice or pointers. I did a little research, and read that the 454 engine in this RV is prone to overheating with age. After today's expedition, driving up steep sandy dirt roads in the desert, I'm pretty confident that this one has no heating issue. Please share your knowledge with me!

Thanks, and nice to meet you all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2015, 04:21 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
Above all else make sure tires are in good condition and not more than 6 years old and all safety equipment is in proper working order. I would recommend new LP, Smoke and CO detectors.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:10 AM   #3

If you need all the appliance manuals and chassis let me know I have a 85 southwind I have no overheating issues pulling 5500 lbs
Old 11-15-2015, 06:11 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Congrats and welcome!
Old 11-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #5

Look closely for water damage.

Get up on the roof and check it.

The rubber is old and may have a few coats of paint on sealer.

Recently applied liquid roof to a friends 93 and was not difficult but only a job for a very good friend...

The roof is crowned so look along walls and at the ends for stains.

Price is good so not show stopper but repair needs too priority.

Takes about 2 weeks to do liquid roof, we have another thread regarding that and plan on putting things back on roof today as it has been a week for full cure.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:05 AM   #6

The front and rear caps were problems in those years
Old 11-15-2015, 11:25 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
SPYROS: Welcome to iRV2.com where you may also find help and info in this forum: Vintage RV's - iRV2 Forums and there is a Fleetwood forum under the Owner's corner tab, too.
Ed
Old 11-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
Hello everyone! I'm glad to join your community, my name is Spyros (It's Greek) and I'm 25. Tomorrow I am purchasing a 1985 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. The owner says it's a 33' RV, however based on the brochure and the floorplan, I believe this is the 31' model.

It has about 60k miles on it, but seems to be in great condition inside and out. I'm buying it for $3,200. Took it for a test drive today, which turned into a scary offroad adventure through sand hills in the Mojave desert. That sort of woke me up to how thrilling owning this RV might be.

I will be a full-timer with no experience, a girlfriend, and two pets in California. I would LOVE to hear any thoughts or reviews on this motorhome, along with advice or pointers. I did a little research, and read that the 454 engine in this RV is prone to overheating with age. After today's expedition, driving up steep sandy dirt roads in the desert, I'm pretty confident that this one has no heating issue. Please share your knowledge with me!

Thanks, and nice to meet you all.
Spyros,

Good choice,
I have a 82 PA had 44,000 miles and 200 + hours on the Genny.
when I bought her 5 years ago. The only trouble I have had was the fuel filters being clogged all 3 of them. 2 are located under the front passenger seat and under the MH behind a cover plate. The other one is @ the rear of the carb. I don't think it took us 15 minutes too change the 3.
I haven't had the temp go above the 1/2 way mark on the temp gauge for the 454 for 5 years and most of the time I have the caddie on a KarKattySS pushing us along.
I'm sure I also have all the manual's for everything on her.
Hope you take some picture's for us to see.
Again welcome,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #9

Talking

So I got the RV, I love it! I'm having a ton of questions now, though..

1. I've gathered that LP is Propane, but the tank seems to be attached to the Pace Arrow. How and where (gas station?) do I fill this up?

2. On the gear shifter, there is a black device that says "DNE2" on it, modes "Off, Low, High" and a little tab I can pull. I read that this is a Doug Nash Overdrive. What is that, how do I use it, and what's the benefit to using it?

3. I've figured out how to get the leveling jacks to turn on. What do the lights mean and/or how do I use the jacks? When I pull a lever to extend, I hear a loud whirring/grinding noise like something's happening, but as far as I can tell, I didn't lower a jack.

4. I hooked water up this morning, and it started leaking heavily out of the bottom of the RV, right below the bathroom. No water seems to have leaked inside the RV. Any ideas what might be broken?

5. There are two long tab-like unlabeled switches, one near the ignition, and a red one behind the steering wheel. Anybody know what these do?

6. I tried to run two electric heaters last night, and on high they continually trip the breaker. Any advice on modifying or improving how much the electrical system can handle?

It might sound negative with all these questions, but I am really so happy and the RV is in amazing condition for it's age!! I'll try to post a couple of pictures here, more to come. Thanks so much for all the well wishes and help!!

Old 11-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #10

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Spyros,
I'm sure I also have all the manual's for everything on her.
Hope you take some picture's for us to see.
Again welcome,
Tim
Hey Tim!
You have a beautiful RV, I hope I can clean mine up a little and get it to shine like that. I've found the sales brochure and owners manual for mine, but I can't find anything that describes what all of the knobs and buttons and switches around the dashboard do. Do you know where I could find documentation on that?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
Hey Tim!
You have a beautiful RV, I hope I can clean mine up a little and get it to shine like that. I've found the sales brochure and owners manual for mine, but I can't find anything that describes what all of the knobs and buttons and switches around thowe dashboard dear window wish mine had that.o. Do you know where I could find documentation on thaook a lot of elbt?

Thanks
Thanks man,
It took a lot of elbow grease all done by hand and my buffer. I love the huge rear window on yours. Yea let me run out and look thru all my brochures. Let e mlook I remember a place on here that is suppose to have all manual's and FREE too
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, pace arrow