Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2016, 06:08 AM   #1

Hello and help both start with "h"

New member with a new to me '98 Gulfcoast Sun Voyager. I've been familiarizing myself with the various systems bit by bit. Took her for our maiden voyage last night and noticed 2 issues...

1. Horrible black tank (I believe) smell in coach, believe it's a bad seal at the base of the toilet. The rest of the system seems intact.

2. Air tanks blow-off very often, and even constantly for 30 seconds +/- while under acceleration. Pressure remains good. I don't have adequate diagrams, or even know where the compressor and blow-off valve is located just yet. This is the 'help' part of the post.

Thanks

Kevin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 06:52 AM   #2

Make sure all the traps are full. The odor can come up any of them and it might be gray tank smell.

When was air dryer filter serviced. Might need to be removed and cleaned good and new filters installed. I had one that was not serviced in a long time. Looked like sludge in there. Had to remove it and clean it and get filters and rebuild kit for it. Was not expensive fix.

Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Not only the traps but the toilet should have water in the bowl as well. Hello from Michigan!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #4

Driving causes suspension to move resulting in air consumption.

Park and let it run and see if it cycles then.

Should fill up and not cycle at all.

Check air dryer and often a rebuilt complete unit is close to same price or in our case was much less than the kit.

Check with truck service places and look in phone book for truck brake service.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #5

Appreciate the responses.

All traps are full. Odor is coming from the stove/sink area, not from bathroom fixtures. Vent stack is clean and clear. Bowl itself holds water.

While idling the tanks blow off maybe once every 10 minutes or so, quick bursts. Nothing like the constant purge while under acceleration.
I have an appointment for a NYS inspection, will poke the inspector a bit for his thoughts on the stink and purges.

My Ecocruise isn't functioning as well. Green light won't come on, though i do head a relay click of some sort when i hit the green button. There is a broken cable back at the engine that looks suspiciously like what a cruise cable would look like.

K
Old 08-04-2016, 10:23 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Kevin! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Use the green search box in the upper right and you'll find lots of information on the black tank problem.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Be sure your trap on the Washer/Dryer is full also. If not fill it with a short rinse cycle.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Under my kitchen sink there is some type of check valve in the piping/venting system. If you have one it could be stuck open. Just a guess, others may be able to give you more detail. Good luck!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Kevin, I recently had the same problem, my sink pipe vent was bad, took me 5 minutes to replace and I bought mine from Home Depot.
39012 - Oatey 39012 - ABS In-Line Vent
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by opinion914 View Post
Appreciate the responses.

All traps are full. Odor is coming from the stove/sink area, not from bathroom fixtures. Vent stack is clean and clear. Bowl itself holds water.

Then WHY do you think toilet floor flange gasket is leaking??
K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Under my kitchen sink there is some type of check valve in the piping/venting system. If you have one it could be stuck open. Just a guess, others may be able to give you more detail. Good luck!
As suggested by 'Pepper2'.........Air Admittance Valve

Located downstream of sink 'P' trap
Open when draining grey tank so allow air in drain line so water in 'P' traps doesn't get sucked out.

If they fail to full close.....odors from grey tank can come inside RV

They just hand screw on a stub pipe on the sink drain line (kitchen and bathroom sinks)

Replacements available at most any hardware store

Old 08-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #11

I've ruled out the toilet flange shortly after posting the original post. I'll be sure to check out the AAV.

More concerning is the air system purging; upon further inspection, it's popping off every 5 seconds or so, even at idle. I can see it when I look under the coach. Almost like a spring loaded diaphragm. Either the spring has become weak over night, or the compressor isn't stopping. Is there a relay or some form of intelligent gnome that tells the compressor to stop compressing until needed?

Kevin
Old 08-04-2016, 04:03 PM   #12

What do your gages indicate?

Try this...Have a helper start and stop the engine for yiu and get on the ground next to a wheel.

Have them start the engine and listen for it to cycle then shut it off.

Now listen for air leaks.

Repeat for each wheel.

Next do you have air or hydrolic leveling.

If air could be leaking valve

If hydrolic then manually control the jacks and lift all 4 corners "list a bit".

Meaning lift the coach about 1 inch only so all weight still on the tire but the coach is 1 inch higher.

Now retest.

Sometimes a ride height valve is internally out of adjustment and it will be in lower mode and raise mode at same time causing this.

There should be a spot in the middle that does nothing.

Raising the coach causes the valves to be in lower mode so weight will transfer to jacks but the air should be solid off.

So if it cycles longer then one valve is off so drop a corner until it acts up.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #13

You said the odor was near sink and stove, are you sure you don't have a gas leak. Gas smells a lot like sewer. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the gas line for the oven.$
Old 08-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #14

Resolved the air-purging issue. Forgive my ignorance, but what's the part called that bursts moisture/air straight down from the dryer, and what's the part called that is just a bit higher up on the dryer, exposed and placed horizontally, bronze in color and also bleeds air? It was this bronze bleeder that was spouting off every 5 seconds or so. Twas filthy so I cleaned it w/ carb cleaner, no more popping off every r seconds. Once when I start up and that's about it for a while.

On to that smell now (not the LP) and cruise control malfunctioning.