Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 03:48 PM   #1

Hello! Another RV Newbie Family Here!

Hello everyone! I love these types of forums and have been an active member in similar forums previously, both automotive and motorcycle , and know firsthand how incredible the knowledge on these boards can be!

I’ve been researching/trolling iRV2 forums for a few months now as our family is gearing up to purchase our first RV, a new 40’ DP.

We’re considering the Discovery 39G/40G, and the Thor Tuscany XTE BX. We’ve ruled out the Newmar 4042 - based mainly on floor plan and the lack of a dinette.

Going into this in March, we didn’t have a clue and only knew we wanted bunks for our 2 younger kids. After visiting our local dealer, and then spending many hours on this forum, we decided on DP, vs gas, and then started to really look at the various models.

We went to Hershey last weekend and were able to finally see the Discovery firsthand. We’ll be test-driving both the 39G & 40G next weekend while visiting Mickey in Orlando and have already driven the Thor.

Each time my wife or I think of a question, I do a search and boom, there’s almost always an existing thread!

However, I still have many, many questions – as you can imagine any newbie would ☺ - but this post is already too long so I’ll just ask a few:

?? - Any newbie tips when buying an rv?

We’ve done a ton of research, driven several different models, and been in, around, under and on top of numerous coaches…So any additional advice would be welcome!

?? Engines – besides HP, torque, and resale value? – what are the main differences – positive/negative – between the ISB 6.7L (FW 39G) and the ISL9 (FW40G)? I’ve read the info Cummins site, but was curious if anyone had anything else to add?

This is one consideration in deciding b/t the FW 39G with ISB6.7 & the 40G with ISL9.

Lastly, I've read most of the FW & Thor Owner's threads, but I'd love to hear anything, again positive or negative, relative to the FW Discovery and/or the Thor Tuscany XTE.

Thanks in advance and we look forward to becoming part of the RV community!

-Matt
Goalkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

JMHO: A 39 ft coach is a lot of weight for a 6.7 ; and you need to know what series transmission the engine is mated to , DO NOT consider a 2500 series , you'll be limited in the trailer tow capacity , the 2500's GCWR limits could leave you looking for a toad that won't fit your family comfortably.
Allison 3000 series minimum!

The 6.7 should provided better fuel economy ; but many like myself; won't consider a used unit that I consider under powered.

Purchasing a new RV with no trade , be prepared to haggle hard and many will say , minimum 30% off, MSRP, more if you can get it.

Good luck and Safe travels.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Allison trans ratings.pdf (1.57 MB, 26 views)
Old 09-23-2016, 08:21 AM   #3

Thanks for the advice Skip!

Both of the Fleetwood’s are 40’; just have different model #’s for the few variances between the models…

The ISB 6.7 Has 360 HP, 800 ft lbs torque, and is mated to the Allison 3000 6-Speed transmission.

The ISL9 Has 380 HP, 1150 ft lbs torque, and is also mated to the Allison 3000 6-Speed transmission.

I also appreciate the negotiating advice!

Thanks again!

-Matt
Old 09-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #4

In my opinion a 35' ish is the largest you should go on gas unless you are going to only frequent flat places (Florida). 40' is really where you should seriously consider a diesel pusher.

Also remember that just because the engine gets a MPG rating does not mean you will get it. The harder it has to work to move that weight the less you will get. This is same thing that was true of cars... the version with the 6 cylinder got the same gas mileage as the version with the 4 cylinder because the smaller engine had to work harder.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
No question in my mind go with the higher HP and torque, you won't be disappointed.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #7

You eliminated Newmar because of floorplan??
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
This link will give all info and dealers and the many models available in its lineup.
Builder will also build many features you may like in your model, people to talk to in link.
More information in the links below in my signature that you may find useful for what ever coach you may like.
Look in QT's # 3 for info in deciding and idea's on any coach of MFG's you may like
Good luck in your hunt and new adventure.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
No question in my mind go with the higher HP and torque, you won't be disappointed.
I agree with this, having the extra torque really helps if you are towing and hitting those high mountain passes. So far we spend most of our time in the West, so we are always on some steep grades. Welcome to the forum. Regards
Old 09-24-2016, 09:08 AM   #10

Thanks for all the info and advice so far! This forum is great!

Yea twogypsies, we didn't like the lack of a "room" for the kids that both the Discovery & Thor have, and really like a dinette vs that table/chairs the Newmar has.

This info helps in deciding b/t the 39G and 40G - :-) - helps me convince my wife that is!

Thanks again everyone!

-Matt
Old 09-24-2016, 11:45 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I dont see how the 6.7 is much of an 'upgrade' from the 5.9. Its still same basic block correct?

ISL (make sure it is not one of the SNs with wrist pin issues)
Old 09-26-2016, 04:57 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A couple of thoughts

On the deal: push hard and you might want to arrange your own financing. I was happy with the price I settled at from General, but they were ridiculous on their financing and nearly lost me. Just like a car dealer, they make their money in Finance, insurance and service. Too bad General didn't think big picture and didn't "read" our situation properly - their loss.

I eventually brought in my own financing thru Costco but the bank is actually Essex/Bank of the West who advertise in FMCA and MH mag all the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if you get deeper than 30% off of MSRP, the caveat being I bought a new gasser so not clear the same applies to a DP.

One last thought: we plan on hitting a lot of the National Parks so we looked for a size and floor plan for that purpose. As we discovered - plenty of great places right near the Parks if we can't fit into them.

All the best and happy RVing.
JD11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags