Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #15

Keep in mind they all break. It helps if you are handy. If not, be prepared to spend money and time on repairs from stupid simple to complex and expensive. Its all fun and games when everything works.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
You have already gotten lots of advice. You aren't planning on buying new so do a couple of things after you find the unit you want.

1. Define what you want based on an information. List the gotta haves and the like to haves. Study, Study, Study. Look at problems and support from manufactures. Look at length and fuel. The answer will be clear.

2. Hire a professional inspector and then pay attention to what the inspector tells you. Do not hand over your check for the title until you are satisfied with repairs. It is a bug that bites most of us. You get really antsy to get out in your new home on wheels. DO NOT do that.

Some local experience. Big Daddys and Northside are pretty much sales. Not well informed nor experienced. Be your own best expert, shop online, get the best price. Once the sale is finalized (especially buying used), you own it!!

We really enjoy our coach. We know you will also.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #17

The little brother Daniel is no longer is working at Days.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:31 PM   #18

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Definitely have plans to go to the RV show. Hopefully wife and I will get a better idea of what size and layout we can see ourselves in. Not trying to full time. Probably do a couple major trips a year. One out west, one down south, and then a bunch of long weekends.

Saw someone had a KTM 390 Duke... Great toad choice. I was gonna put a CB300F on a hitch carrier until we get a real toad sorted.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:47 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
The little brother Daniel is no longer is working at Days.
Not to derail this helpful thread, but thanks for the insight, that's a huge step in the right direction.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy318 View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys!

Definitely have plans to go to the RV show. Hopefully wife and I will get a better idea of what size and layout we can see ourselves in. Not trying to full time. Probably do a couple major trips a year. One out west, one down south, and then a bunch of long weekends.

Saw someone had a KTM 390 Duke... Great toad choice. I was gonna put a CB300F on a hitch carrier until we get a real toad sorted.
That sounds like our plan. Well have two dogs and a teenager or two at times so the 4 slides was huge for us.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #21

Just a quick note from your eastern neighbor.

When I was pricing used coaches I used NADA-RV
Motorhomes Price, Motorhomes Value & Motorhomes Trade In | NADAguides | Motorhomes Price Specs

and
PPl Used Diesel Motor Homes Sold - PPL Motor Homes

to get a fair price. Then I deducted things that I saw needed to be repaired or replaced. For example, tires. Plan on replacing old tires. Michelin states 10 years is maximum age before they recommend replacement. Diesel pusher like mine uses a 22.5 inch tire and I just got a quote for $4,637 to replace 6 of the tires with Michelin. If the batteries are older than 4 years deduct $100 each etc. etc.

Using these two sources I felt I paid a good price for our coach. Also be prepared to walk away from a sale if it doesn't go your way.

We plan to go to the Louisville RV show also!
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:14 AM   #22

Not to "steal" this thread... but for those who have gone to the Louisville show..

What can we expect to see in higher end Class A coaches ??

We're coming from Milwaukee to hang out with friends.. but would like to see a variety of Class A's, specifically diesel pushers... Will we be disappointed ?

Thanks
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Not to "steal" this thread... but for those who have gone to the Louisville show..

We're coming from Milwaukee to hang out with friends.. but would like to see a variety of Class A's, specifically diesel pushers... Will we be disappointed ?

Thanks
Probably. Prior to the big crash, this show was packed with high end houseboats & motorhomes and while, the high end units are making a comeback, there haven't been a lot in the past couple of years. Hopefully, this year is better.

We've seen a few Newmars & Tiffins and there is one dealer that brings the big boys. I can't think of the dealer or manufacturer though! Here is a link to the show and it has a list of exhibitors and a search feature:

Progressive® Insurance Louisville Boat, RV & Sportshow®

I don't find the search feature to be accurate or updated. Maybe it costs exhibitors extra to be included in the search?

We'll be going too and hopefully won't find anything we like better than what we have!

It'd be cool to meet other iRV2 members there.
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:12 PM   #24

I also had a very good experience with day bros.
2006 Monaco Camelot, fair price and great financing. We even had a exhaust manifold leak that was found after the as is sale and they took care of it at our local Cummings service center in Maggie valley area. We shopped a lot and would defiantly go back when we decide to buy again. Just my experience, and given how close you are to them I would give them a look and form your own opinion.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
It'd be cool to meet other iRV2 members there.
I'm not sure of our exact schedule... normally we wouldn't come down, but our friends who live in Cincinnati go every year... We figured it would be a nice weekend away.. maybe even catch some better weather than we have here in Milwaukee... I'm pretty sure the plan is to go on Saturday.. but not 100%..

Paoli, IN... boy does that bring back some memories... I went to school in Louisville and was a member of the "Ski Club"... I have fond memories of Paoli Peaks...
Old 01-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #26

Quote:

Paoli, IN... boy does that bring back some memories... I went to school in Louisville and was a member of the "Ski Club"... I have fond memories of Paoli Peaks...
How cool! The Peaks has had a rough start this year. 50° weather isn't good for snow making. I grew up just outside of Louisville in Fern Creek but that was long before there was skiing in Paoli. Where did you go to school?
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
Where did you go to school?
I went to Trinity HS... Graduated in 1986... Moved to WI in 1990... Waking up to -5 this morning is making me wonder why...

I still have family in KY and visit often... The GF is begging to move there when the kids are done with school...
Old 01-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Thanks
Mostly boats with few motor homes. I think the WebSite listed 5 RV dealers to be at show.

Bronk