Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2017, 07:17 AM   #1

Hello iRV2 I need some advice on purchasing new rig

Hello Irv2 i use this forum all the time searching for info but I just finally joined.
First post for me.
Let me give you little history before I stat the dilemma. I have a family of five with three small children under the age of 10. We love camping as a family and just can't seem to get away enough. I started out our camping adventures in a Gulfstream Super Nova had some great features but the coach was under powered and had the worst ride you could imagine ( no air ride).was like driving a delivery truck. Did all the mods I could king shocks etc but finally got a point were its was to much $ going in for not enough change. So I sold that. I went to a fifth wheel. The space in the fifth wheel was awesome but hooking up towing setup and tear down is a chore as most of our trips are short due to work schedule leave friday night return sunday. Feels like I never got to relax with the fam. So i just sold that!
Now on to the dilemma... What to buy now?

I really want a class A but with the family I need a bunkhouse model. I would also like to be 35' overall or under 37' at the most due to the most campsites available.I also need to be able to tow 5k range.
Ive looked at most of the models available on the frieightliner XC chassis (palazzo,excursion etc) but the under coach storage is not there and most of the motorhomes at this price point seem to be lacking build quality and storage .

My question is those of you that have experienced these motorhomes should i sacrifice my needs and go with something on the XC chassis or bite the bullet and go 40' to get a better quality coach and deal with a bigger motorhome.
thanks all appreciate the advice!
re101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #2

love our Palazzo, for the same reason you had experienced, with teens, and not liking the time and effort with our old 5vr - wanted to be able to pull in, push a few buttons, and be ready to enjoy...

for the storage, don't sweat it, unless you are full timing, you will have plenty of space, both IN the coach and outside it... even if you are full timing like we are, we have found that it's more possible than you think

our 34' coach rides great, especially compared to any gas chassis coaches, and the rear engines of diesel pushers gives you such a great experience while driving to your next destination - very quiet.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:36 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I would suggest you look for a 34- 36 foot good used DP. That way you won't take the big depreciation hit if you decide it's not right for your needs. Good luck, and have fun with your family. .
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I would suggest you look for a 34- 36 foot good used DP. That way you won't take the big depreciation hit if you decide it's not right for your needs. Good luck, and have fun with your family. .
Agreed.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your family!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #6

thanks for the reply's. Defiantly not planning on going full-time just lots of STUFF to go along with three small children. I would love to find a good used coach but finding a used bunkhouse in the 34'-36' range seems virtually impossible to find as Im learning these floor plans are relatively new. There is a few 15-16 models used low miles almost new but the price is to close to new to make sense. In the 40' models there is a lot to choose from used. I'm just not sure I want to go that big. I plan on trying to get up to the state parks etc which most say stay under 35' for.
re101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Another option is Super C. Thor makes some bunk style models in the Four Winds and Chateau models. Length on these is 34'-37' or thereabouts, with the bunk model being a 35'. They are really easy to drive, partly due to size and partly because they are a truck. Not only do they have bunks in them, but also you get a king size bed in back, a queen over the cab, and the dinette and couch convert to sleeping areas. I owned one (without bunks) for three years, and for going to state parks and such they are a lot of fun. We traded ours for a Class A because we are about to be full-timing.

Here's the bunk floor plan - Four Winds
https://thormotorcoach.com/fourwinds...rplans/#tab-96

The Chateau model's gallery shows the bunks
https://thormotorcoach.com/chateau-super-c/#RV-Gallery

The Ford 6.7 diesel is really nice to have. These things pull strong. And if you want to pull a car, they are rated to tow 10,000 lbs. I towed 7,000 with ease, even through the Rockies.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:15 PM   #8

Our thoughts:
To quote you, "since most of our trips are short due to work schedule leave friday night return Sunday", I'm going to quote one of my favorite sayings here on this forum I ran across a few months ago:
"If you drive a lot get a diesel, if you camp a lot get gas".

So, IMO, a gas MH would solve so much of your criteria:
• You want something around 35' and maybe 37' max - lots of gas choices out there
• Your trips are short
• You want 5K towing capacity
• Since your trips are short you don't need a lot of storage
• If you shop for a 3-4 year old gas MH (which is the sweet spot) you'll find a ton of MH's for sale that are hardly used, have low mileage, are about 1/2 or more the price they were new and tons cheaper than a DP
• Your storage costs will be less than a 40 footer
• Your insurance will be less than a 40 footer
• Used gas Bunkhouse inventory will be a whole lot larger than a DP
• You'll save a ton of money when purchasing a gas MH

FYI NOTE: I'd be careful of a Thor MH especially if it has a full wall slide. They still have a lot of problems with the Schwintec slide systems. Some people may challenge me on that. Just go to the Thor forum and read for yourself. I have a friend who just bought a new 2016 Challenger 38' about 4 months ago, and right of the bat, as soon as he got home, his slides are acting up and becoming a real problem. To many other MH choices IMO.

I could go on but you get the drift. From what we see where we go and camp, most people that have 40' DP's have different circumstances than you, different goals and usually the kids are gone along with a lot of other things going on. There are exceptions of course, but I'm talking mostly about the majority of what we see.

Once you have 6 or 7 yrs. in the gas MH under your belt, you'll know all the ropes, the kids will be gone or nearly gone & if you & the wife decide to con't, that's when you set your eyes on the DP.

Our 2 cents.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Tiffin Allegro 35qba bunk (gas) sounds it might be great for your situation. I have a neighbor with 4 kids and that's their vacation/travel vehicle.

Or if you want to go the diesel route, they make a 38' qba Allegro RED bunk
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
FYI NOTE: I'd be careful of a Thor MH especially if it has a full wall slide. They still have a lot of problems with the Schwintec slide systems. Some people may challenge me on that. Just go to the Thor forum and read for yourself. I have a friend who just bought a new 2016 Challenger 38' about 4 months ago, and right of the bat, as soon as he got home, his slides are acting up and becoming a real problem. To many other MH choices IMO.
I had one for three years. The 33SW with the full wall slide. At first it was a nightmare. Once Thor came to me and installed the 3Trax system, it was fixed. We never had another problem with it.

Your friend may not be following proper procedures for these Schwintek slides. If you do not hold the switch for a few seconds after extending or retracting, it does not reset the zero point. Also, they need to be lubricated, makes a huge difference.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
How about something like this? 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J for Sale - A110 - PPL Motor Homes 2 slides, bunk beds, sofa/bed and also dinette/bed.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #12

My wife and I have four children all under 8 and are planning on having two more. We did not go with a bunkhouse but went with the Bounder 35K although we did consider the Discovery Bunkhouse. It sleeps and rides eight and the hitch is rated for 5,000lbs(check out the other forums about GCVW though). We towed a Ford Explorer with no issues all last year. We take several week long trips a year and this outfit has been plenty of room for those trips, both in terms of storage and living space. It's not our dream rig but our thoughts were along the lines that kids are rough on these things. We plan on using ours until our oldest is able to drive and then buying a tow behind for him to tow with a vehicle. That's when we plan on buying the DP that mom and dad really want so we don't have to worry about the kids damaging that investment and sacrificing living space on bedding as we plan on traveling a lot in the future. We started out with a 39' fifth wheel bunkhouse and like you I hated the setup and breakdown. The class A was the best move we made and much easier to maneuver and setup even with a toad. I am glad that we chose the Bounder as our entry level unit. We are learning a lot of what we like and don't like along the lines of amenities and conveniences without over investing on our first class A. Just wanted to give you another perspective on a similar situation to yours. If you have any questions about our setup feel free to ask.
OlKYHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:51 PM   #13

Here are some ideas of motorhomes with bunks:

12 Must See RV Bunkhouse Floorplans |General RV Center

Also, have you considered a Class C with a bed over the cab?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:12 PM   #14

Just about any 30 ft or bigger class C will sleep the kids in the overhead and/or Jcouch while giving parents the bedroom in a bit of peace. They will cost you less to buy and maintain that a DP. Won't ride quite as well but will be manageable. Particularly so if you are mostly doing weekends. Within a few years I'd seriously look at bunking the oldest child or two outside in a tent.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice