Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #1

Help! 1st DP purchase

Found a great deal on an 01 Rexhall 36' DP. 35k miles. Cummins with Allison. Looks to be in excellent condition. Any opinions are welcome. Pros and Cons. Anything I should be aware of? Besides tires, batteries, etc. Thanks in advance. John
borderjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #2

It is a Vision with 1 slide. Propane Gen. with 60 hours. Thanks. John
borderjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Uh.......there is only about 1000 things YOU should be aware of! Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Haven't had a Rexhall, but they were on my short list when I was looking. Many models, both gas and diesel, had features and floorplans I liked. Fiberglass roof was a "must have" for me, and all the Rexhalls I looked at (online) had them. I believe they are a solid, well-built coach. But... that's just an opinion. I don't have first-hand experience.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our 1st DP was a 2003 Rexhall American clipper w/ 1 slide. Which cummings engine and which allison transmission. Mine had the 5.9 Cummings rated at 260 HP and only a 4 speed aLLISON. Amd it had a propane genny. We had problems with that snap crakling and popping. cured it by placing a metal damper in from of the air cleaner to deflect air around the air cleaner and stopped that problem. The FMCA has a REXHALL user group that is active mainly in the WEST. We loved the interior, quality was Ok, but ..... when driving it was all over the road. Get the serial numbers and call cummings and find out exactley what enging trans combination you got. We were told 300 HP and in reality it was only 260HP. if you are going to pull a toad 260 hp isn't going to be satisfactory going up the side of Mountians. Because of the handling we traded it after spending a lot on tires, shocks, sway bars and steering damper from blue ox. when we had an electrical problem we called REXHALL and got NO assistance. in fact we were told the guy in charge of electrical was out parking MH in the back lot. when I finally got some one he spokepanish and I speak ENGLIH.... oops! Anyway they were not helpful... we were considering going to CA to look at a NEW one but decided to buy from THOR. Good Luck.... ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't really answer any questions about the Rexhall but I'm sure someone will be along to help with some information. Welcome to the forum though and hope you enjoy your time here.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #7

Propane generators use up cooking, water heating and furnace gas. So you have to watch your propane usage. They usually install a larger propane tank with a propane generator but not always. A diesel generator usually uses about a quart per hour of diesel fuel. A full 100 gallon fuel tank will last a long time. Our first DP had a propane generator and a few times when dry camping we found ourselfs going for propane.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had a propane gen in our first DSDP, never again. In 5 days we went through 2 10 gallon tanks and most of our onboard 32 gallons of propane. And it wasn't that hot, only in the low 90's
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a 92 32' Airex, F53 chassis with tag. Had some electrical questions, Rexall was slow in responing, but I did get some prints and fixed the problem. It was a good gaser.

"we were considering going to CA to look at a NEW one but decided to buy from THOR"
I replaced the Airex with a Thor 5th wheel (32 ft Komfort)
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #10

We have thoroughly enjoyed our Rexhall DP. When we have needed help, they have been very good. We have gotten Rexhall specific parts in a timely manner, and schematics of the electrical and air systems to assist with upgrades or repairs from them. It is a good, high quality coach with fine workmanship. They are nice people and help you when needed. If you get it and need help, feel free to contact me here. Good Luck with it!
freebirdbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderjack View Post
It is a Vision with 1 slide. Propane Gen. with 60 hours. Thanks. John
John, single slide units are very hard to re-sell,as most people looking want multi-slide class A's, but if the price is right and the floor plan works for you, it's your choice. 60 hours on a 12 year old gen set may be an issue, as the manufacturers usually say 2 hours of exercise a month to keep the unit in good shape. Personally a propane gen set is an issue due to the access to re-fueling the propane system: hard to cook or run the furnace if the gen set has run you out of propane. A diesel gen set will quit with about a 1/4 tank of fuel left to run the engine. I don't think that the propane system is set up that way.
A lot of the other issues with an older coach will come down to how handy you are , when it comes to fixing the systems and coach your self.
And as , Ed said in his reply, you want power and gears to move the coach. MHO. 8.1L Cummins and 3060 Allison in that weight of coach.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderjack View Post
Found a great deal on an 01 Rexhall 36' DP. 35k miles. Cummins with Allison. Looks to be in excellent condition. Any opinions are welcome. Pros and Cons. Anything I should be aware of? Besides tires, batteries, etc. Thanks in advance. John
Hi John we have a 2001 Rexhall Aerbus we like every thing about it Rexhall has good floor plans and are built great. Mine drives great even in 35 mph cross wind. No regrets here.
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We had a propane gen in our first DSDP, never again. In 5 days we went through 2 10 gallon tanks and most of our onboard 32 gallons of propane. And it wasn't that hot, only in the low 90's
The propane generator would be a big Red flag for me!
tbwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #14

260 hp not enough power?

I have a 94 Safari. It has a b series Cummins with 230hp. I pack a 3,000lb car on an 18' car trailer. I pull a 6 or 7% grade at about 45 mph. Rule of thumb don't go up a hill any faster than you go down the other side. I never understood why you had to be the fastest one to the top. By the way my old coach does not have electronic ignition and I get 10 mpg pulling the trailer and car with it or without it. Not many newer coaches can claim that. I do however believe 4 speed Allison trannys are weak if you are going to tow anything. I would use nothing less than a world 6 speed.
wolfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase