Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #1

HELP!!!

2007 Holiday Rambler motor coach with no 12 volt power! I've checked everything I know to check. Fuses, breakers, solenoid switch please help getting ready to leave for vacation.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to IRV2.

I don't know about the Holiday Rambler but our Tiffin Allegro Open Road has a 12V cut off switch by the entrance door.

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #3

HELP!!!

Does it start? Coach batteries okay as far as voltage? Have a tester/voltmeter? If batteries are ok, work out to problem. As above, check the battery shut off switch. Ours has two.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 07-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
As jfran304 stated there should be a salesman switch at the entrance that could be thrown or could have failed check that first.
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The salesman switch is not usually the problem. The real problem is usually the power relay that the switch controls. They are notorious for failing. A real good fix is to find the power relay and just transfer the hot (battery lead) to the load side and forget about the switch. It sure cures a lot of problems.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
You have two 12v power systems. Chassis and house.

Both not working?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #7

We just went through something similar. Just our outlets were not working. Everything else was; washing machine, microwave, air con. , etc... all worked fine. In our case it turned out to be a transfer switch in the inverter.

We looked for the problem for several months because it was intermittent and getting worse. If you look at my old posts you will see it in depth with lots of suggestions for me. One of those might work for you if is not the inverter.

Good luck, I know how frustrating it is.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
You might want to check the GFI electrical outlets in the Bathroom sink and Kitchen areas. If they tripped you will not have power to outlets and the converter box. At least that is what happened in my MH, Hope that helps

Richard
Old 07-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richs050 View Post
You might want to check the GFI electrical outlets in the Bathroom sink and Kitchen areas. If they tripped you will not have power to outlets and the converter box. At least that is what happened in my MH, Hope that helps

Richard
That is such a strange way to wire a coach. Are you sure that your power to the converter box was lost when the GFI tripped. In my coach the inverter box output goes directly to the bathroom GFI if it trips almost all of the receptacles in the coach are dead but the inverter is still active. The way mine is wired it would be easy to think the converter is dead but it is before the GFI not after it.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The OP is talking about losing 12 volt power not 120 volt power. GFI's don't have anything to do with the 12 volt system.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
http://www.metrotrekkers.org/utility/electrical.htm

Is this RV new to you? Do you have the operators manual? They are about 240 pages long.

Twelve volts starts at the large battery bank that is charged by a large inverter/charger. There are two large cutoff switches in the battery compartment. The power flows through the cutoff switches, one to the engine section and the other for the 12 volt electrical items.

The power goes forward into a panel below the driver on the outside. Inside the large panel on the bottom left is a large cutoff solenoid often referred to as the "salesman solenoid/switch". This solenoid is controlled by a switch near the door. It may say Bat Cut off. If pressed it should light and you should hear the solenoid go clunk. If you do hear it clunk and you still don't have lights then there is a good chance the solenoid is bad. A very common issue. Give the thing a hard wrap from the back of a screwdriver to see if it comes alive. If it does there is a simple bypass procedure. You can use a voltmeter or test light of course if you have one. I would buy a test light in any case. With a test light it should light up on both sides of the large solenoid. The large bolts/wires that is.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Hi There,
Yes While at an RV Park our 110 Receptacles on the passenger side of the coach quit working and our 12v lights were getting dimmer. I checked the Converter located in the basement compartment next to the entry door for a reset button and checked all of the breakers and found all to be ok. After scratching my head a bit I called Ron's Mobile RV Service in Chico, CA and he told me to check the GFI by the bathroom sink and sure enough It had been tripped off which turned all of the 110 Receptacles off on that side, one of which was the one our converter was plugged into. All was fine after that and I was very happy I did not have to have a mobile service call

Richard